RC Enthusiast

E-Revo 2.0 VXL tire wobble

Hi Guys,

I'm still pretty new to this forum and I hope I'm in the right section...
    I had a pretty good crash with my Revo VXL.
    Magically nothing seemed to break but the rear pushrod popped out of the plastic end and the t-bone from the drive shaft came out of the cup.
    Ok, so no big deal-put them back in but now my problem:
    One of the rear wheels is really wobbling (kinda like it's out of balance...but I'm not sure if this can really happen).
    I 'm not sure how to tell if it's the wheel or the bearing or what...
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys!
    -Razzy

You can rotate your tires to see if it wobbles if it's up front. If it doesn't, then your problem lies in the rear arm or carrier, if it does wobble in a new position you need a new tire and/or wheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Razzy:
    Since you mentioned that the tire seems "kinda like it's out of balance", maybe it actually is. I had some water get in the tires of my Rustler 4x4, and at higher speeds, the wobble was pretty pronounced. Have you found yourself running in wet conditions lately? For me, the issue was running in snow, which as it melted seemed to really soak the tire-foam

Once the water gets in the vent holes on the inside of the rim, it's kind of a hassle to get it out. I've read that some folks have issues with dirt getting in those rim holes and causing similar out-of-balance issues, but I've not had that experience.

I'm working from the ASSumption that the eRevo rims have the same small holes on the inside of the rims that the Rustler 4x4 does. If they don't then please disregard this post.

Good Luck --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    You can rotate your tires to see if it wobbles if it's up front. If it doesn't, then your problem lies in the rear arm or carrier, if it does wobble in a new position you need a new tire and/or wheel.
    Thanks Nickruger, that's a great suggestion....I'll give it a try
    Assuming it is NOT the tire-what is the most likely culprit?
    I ordered a new bearing set assuming they may have gotten bent in the crash.
    Doesn't it seem like if it was either the upper or lower suspension arm it would be cracked (original BTW).
    also, what else, other than the bearing could go wrong with the axle carrier to cause such a wobble?

Thanks again,
    -Razzy

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Razzy:
    Since you mentioned that the tire seems "kinda like it's out of balance", maybe it actually is. I had some water get in the tires of my Rustler 4x4, and at higher speeds, the wobble was pretty pronounced. Have you found yourself running in wet conditions lately? For me, the issue was running in snow, which as it melted seemed to really soak the tire-foam

Once the water gets in the vent holes on the inside of the rim, it's kind of a hassle to get it out. I've read that some folks have issues with dirt getting in those rim holes and causing similar out-of-balance issues, but I've not had that experience.

I'm working from the ASSumption that the eRevo rims have the same small holes on the inside of the rims that the Rustler 4x4 does. If they don't then please disregard this post.

Good Luck --BillJ
    Hi Bill,
    Thanks also for your reply- I think you are on to something...I took all four tires off (pretty even wear actually) and I got a difference of 85g between the lightest and heaviest!
    There must be quite a bit of water soaked into that foam...also squished out quite a bit of water.
    I'm going to dry them out next to a heater and re-measure.
    Has anyone thought to plug those little "air" holes...seems like a lot of water in them for only brief runs through some puddles!

Thanks again
    -Razzy
    Last edited by razzy8; 06-11-2019 at 07:02 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Another thing I noticed while inspecting the truck after the recent traumatic event was a fairly impressively BENT front steel push-rod (original)
    Does anyone have any suggestion on some improved aftermarket ones? or should I just replace with Traxxas steel?
    Also it seems like many people have experienced the rods popping out of the rod ends...are the heavy duty rod ends (Traxxas #8647) any better or are there some aluminum rod ends that should be used that are better?

Thanks again
    -Razzy
    Last edited by razzy8; 06-11-2019 at 07:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I push duct tape over the tire holes to keep dirt and water out. Some people also drill / melt holes in the top of tires to get water and dirt out. Did that on a ok'd set. Best was was blow tourch a nail in vise gripes. Then poke a hole in 2 to 4 equal places on the tire.

Worked ok on my set of mt six-packs till foam ripped on inside.

For front bent rods. I just bend them back as best I can. Wait for them to break vs replacing every time.

For op question. Check pillow balls. And caps . Check tire nuts really doubt it's the bearings start checking things with tires off with car on stand and running car. Crap in tires will make it wobble.. but can be a bent of loose part as well it's just a matter of tearing it down some and checking all parts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Razzy:
    Good Luck --BillJ
    It does seem water getting into my rims is a big part of my "wobble" problem.
    I have tried putting the tires in front of a heater for a few days to try to dry them out but it doesn't seem to be working...I guess there is no way for the water to evaporate even when its heated up.
    Any ideas on how to do this without taking the tires off the rims...which I understand is not easy with these Tires.

Thanks
    -Razzy

RC Qualifier
    Drill holes in the tires, and make an adapter to put the wheel on a drill and spin them.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Qualifier
    I found drilling hard. And the foam in tire wanted to wrap up in my drill bit. Hot nail to burn a hole was much cleaner and faster. Stinky though.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    Drill holes in the tires, and make an adapter to put the wheel on a drill and spin them.
    Yeah drilling them is a pain but it’s doable. Easier like a few people have said to melt them. But why would you go to all the trouble to make an adapter to put them on a drill when you can just put them back on the car and spin them like crazy?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I found drilling hard. And the foam in tire wanted to wrap up in my drill bit. Hot nail to burn a hole was much cleaner and faster. Stinky though.
    So is the idea that once there are bigger/more holes, the water is more likely to come out easier?

RC Qualifier
    https://youtu.be/USPrpa2loc0

Take a look think that will explain your questions.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    https://youtu.be/USPrpa2loc0

Take a look think that will explain your questions.

Thanks Acidic,

I've since punched 3 holes in two of my tire rubbers with a soldering iron...seems like it worked great I also glued shut the air holes on the inside of the rims to keep this from happening again.

Kinda stinky though as someone mentioned Next time may want to do outside with better ventilation!

I'm hoping that the centrifugal force when I run them on the truck push out the water
    I'll see how it works and will consider doing to the other two tires.

Thanks again to you and the others for all your help...
    -Razzy