Thread: Faster Charging

RC poster

Faster Charging

Hi.

I have a VXL TSM 4x4 Slash and in it I use 2c 6500Mah batteries which I charge with my Imax b6. Takes around 80 minutes to charge, and with 2 batteries that is quite a long time.
    I am wondering about whether it's a good idea to reduce charge times to get a bigger/more powerful charger, especially since shortly I want to upgrade to 8000Mah 3C batteries...

If so, can someone recommend something decent without a huge price tag? Ideally ~100 ish. I'd love to get my charge times to around half if that was possible safely.

Secondly, I notice in some newer Slash videos the battery bar that secures the battery is a easier mechanism than the method my one uses, that requires a clip. Is it possible to retrofit the new clip in and clip out mechanism?

Lastly, what should my approximate run times on a stock slash be on my 6500mah batteries? I am getting around 15 minutes I think?

RC Competitor
    Personally I took out the stock battery hold down from my slash and replaced it with this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233096320269

I can fit 2 2s 6500mah hard case gens ace battery comfortably and secure. I havenít had a problem with it yet.

As for chargers I use the HTRC C240 Duo, seems to work well, I havenít had it for long. But itís cheap and charges pretty quickly. The balance and storage functions also seem pretty accurate. I like it so far, for the price I might get a second.

As for run times Iíve never had a stock traxxas vehicle or any other brand for that matter, Iíve never timed my own car either... But if I was to guess running 4s with 6500mah I probably get between 15 and 25 minutes. I might be exaggerating alittle.

In the end it all comes down to gearing. Are you running stock gearing? What size spur and pinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80 minutes for an 8 amp pack is spot on when charging at 1C. You can charge at 2C, which should, theoretically, half your charge time, but I doubt if you charger will push 16 amps on a single channel. You'll be hard pressed to find a charger that will go that high for under $200.

15 minutes for a 6.5 amp pack is low, you should be getting 25 minutes plus. But, this is based on a stock 4WD Slash, and really depends on how yours is step up. How hot is your motor and ESC running?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rants86 View Post

In the end it all comes down to gearing. Are you running stock gearing? What size spur and pinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am running everything completely stock and I am sorry, but I do not know what the stock pinion and spur sizes are.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    80 minutes for an 8 amp pack is spot on when charging at 1C. You can charge at 2C, which should, theoretically, half your charge time, but I doubt if you charger will push 16 amps on a single channel. You'll be hard pressed to find a charger that will go that high for under $200.

15 minutes for a 6.5 amp pack is low, you should be getting 25 minutes plus. But, this is based on a stock 4WD Slash, and really depends on how yours is step up. How hot is your motor and ESC running?

Hi,

I am charging at 5amps I believe.
    Could you recommend me a charger capable of what I want to acheive. I'd rather spend a bit extra and get something that will meet my needs if I can.

As a seperate question, my current batteries are 60/120c and I want to get some new ones. I see a fair number in the 25/50c range and some top of the line 75/100 c ones which are pretty spendy. I read online elsewhere that 25/50c is plenty for the Slash 4x4 and that there wouldn't be a material difference between the 25/50 and the 60/120c that I currently have.

Is that correct in other peoples experiences here?

RC poster
    I have a 100c battery, 80c, 50c and a 40c battery and I can tell the difference. The 100c has more "punch" and I notice it on the track the most, when bashing i don't really notice it at all. That being said, how much is the price difference? I can't really tell a difference between my 40c and 50c batteries and depending on the price difference, I'd say that the 100c isn't even worth it. The 40c and 50c propel my slash 2x4 and 4x4 with ease and the only place I notice more "punch" is at the track.

RC poster
    Just for comparison, I run my Slash all afternoon on just two lipos. I use two 2s 5000, and I charge each at 10 amps, putting back approx. 4000 mah with every charge. Each lipo takes 20-25 mins to charge and I can run back to back, but I still have to cool the motor after runs.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with @Greatscott. You probably wont find a charger at your $100 budget to provide faster charge times.
    The best chargers operate on DC power and either require hooking up to your 12v 1:1 car battery or buy a separate DC power supply which is costly. When shopping chargers ultimately you want to look at watts. Their listing 10A or 20A is deceiving because on higher cell batteries that amperage will reduce significantly. Total output watts is what is important.

This is slightly over budget but would be a good option...
    https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=447

Some amperage examples for why a charger might advertise 12 amps but you may only see 3.8-4.0 amps:
    example charger that outputs 50 watts max.

1 cell lipo
    4.2 volts X 11.9 amps = 50 watts

2 cell lipo
    8.4 volts x 5.9 amps = 50 watts

3 cell lipo
    12.6 volts X 3.9 amps = 50 watts

Your comment on run-time is variable depending on the person. My son gets 45 mins on his Slash with a 2s 6000 mAh pack but it all depends on how you drive.
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 06-26-2019 at 10:47 AM.

I run a Hitec X2 AC Plus charger. Hooked up to AC it can put out 100 watts total. I now have a computer server power supply (plenty of sites/videos on how to make it work) that supplies the charger with DC power so it bumps it up to 200 watts total.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    run 3s, gear down buy smaller 3s batteries and enjoy better handling, same run times, and quicker charging with lower temps.