Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    91

    ESC Help, please...

    Hello...
    This has probably been asked a million times, but what esc will fit the rustler xl-5 platform with no mods, using an RPM esc mount more than likely, that can handle 3s lipos with extreme gearing where I don't need to worry about burning it up? I think Castle Creations are the toughest, but any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,488
    Quote Originally Posted by OtisWhitestone View Post
    Hello...
    This has probably been asked a million times, but what esc will fit the rustler xl-5 platform with no mods, using an RPM esc mount more than likely,
    That is just about any ESC you want. If you take the time to clean the ESC and RC with isopropyl alcohol double backed tape (3M) will hold the ESC is place with no issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by OtisWhitestone View Post
    … that can handle 3s lipos with extreme gearing where I don't need to worry about burning it up? I think Castle Creations are the toughest, but any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    Such a creature does not exist. You can hedge your bets by going with a lower KV motor, but you cannot just throw any gearing that will fit and not worry about burning up the motor. In any combination you should be taking temps on your motor after you make any changes to the drive train (motor, ESC, battery voltage, transmission, drive shafts, carriers, bearings, tires), taking temps every five minutes or so on the first pack will make sure you have a reliable system. Temperature guns are very inexpensive, you do not need anything fancy, the $12 IR temp gun from Harbor Freight is more than adequate.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    179
    I second the IR temp gun. Just pick up a $10-$15 one off of Amazon. I does not need to be specifically for rc vehicles.

    I have heard (read?) that you will need to replace the bushings in the wheels fairly quickly, as they won't hold up to brushless power. Also, they are a good upgrade anyways.

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    91
    Thank you. I have a duratrax temp gun. What do I want to keep my temps under? I am running a castle creations sv3 sct with a 3800kv motor. I have a 33 tooth pinion and 76 tooth spur. I also have a 3s lipo. Bearings all around. Jconcepts G-Locs.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by OtisWhitestone View Post
    Thank you. I have a duratrax temp gun. What do I want to keep my temps under? I am running a castle creations sv3 sct with a 3800kv motor. I have a 33 tooth pinion and 76 tooth spur. I also have a 3s lipo. Bearings all around. Jconcepts G-Locs.
    Donít go to much above 160 on the motor, if the esc is hotter than the motor your gearing is also too tall.


    Somehow builds are never done....

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    91
    You gentlemen are awesome! Thank you so much. I learn everyday on this board.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,488
    Quote Originally Posted by OtisWhitestone View Post
    You gentlemen are awesome! Thank you so much. I learn everyday on this board.
    Keep reading, keep asking questions... Today's new kid is tomorrow's expert.

    Your gearing is REALLY tall at 2.3:1, "normal" gearing is around 4:1. This should be good for pure speed runs, but careful when bashing.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •