RC poster

Bent front dampener :-(

Hey guys,

I managed to bend the front right dampened on my 4x4 VXL.

I thought I'd just lost the piece of plastic at the bottom which the spring rests on, but after replacing that I realized the dampener had lost its spring - which on further inspection was because the shaft is bent.

My question - can I buy just the shaft (#1664) or will I have to buy the complete shock?

Also, will I be able to re-use the oil in the shock, or should I buy new? If new, what weight is the standard shock oil so it matches the other three?

Thanks!

Bic

You can buy the shafts on eBay $6.40 for two. I would not reuse the oil. I like to use 45w, replace the oil in all 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    You can get a brand new set of all 4 shocks and springs filled with oil on eBay for less than $20 shipped. Might be worth it to have some spares around.
    Slash 4x4
    Rustler VXLs

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan366 View Post
    You can get a brand new set of all 4 shocks and springs filled with oil on eBay for less than $20 shipped. Might be worth it to have some spares around.
    Excellent point, I would also get some aluminum caps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time toi upgrade to GTR shocks.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Thanks guys - I ended up rebuilding the shock using a stock shafts and some new oil. It was a great learning experience for me, so I'm happy I did it.

I've seen folks talk about GTR shocks - can someone send me a link so I know what I'm looking for?

My understanding from my limited experience re-building the shock is that it's all made of plastic, it would be nice to have metal shocks - including the cylinder and cap.

RC poster
    https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/7461X are the front shocks https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/7462X are the rear. Then you need to get springs. I just got mine today and so far I love them. I went with vg racing springs

RC Enthusiast
    You can also get full sets on eBay from take-off Slash Platinums for ~$65. I did end up going with stiffer springs but they aren't terrible out-of-the-box for bashing.

They have plastic caps but the rest is all metal, folks report even with the plastic caps that the GTRs are super durable so I went for them instead of the Pro-lines I was also considering since they were less expensive and seemed to have an overall better opinion. Haven't had any issues with them yet.

RC poster
    If the aluminum shock caps are a must have, yet the GTR shocks don't come with them - would I be better buying the aluminum caps for my ultra's or spending the extra money to get the GTR + new springs?

What do the GTRs give me that I wouldn't have with my aluminum capped ultras?

RC Competitor
    If you can pony up the extra cash, I highly recommend the GTR shocks. You only need aluminum caps if you're sticking with the stock shocks. GTR plastic caps are solid and reliable.

As for oil, 60w in all four GTRs keeps it from slapping.