Thread: 46T Spur

RC Qualifier

46T Spur

If the 46T metal spur gear that was included in the box with my 8S Maxx is installed, do I need to anything extra to the truck for cooling etc??

How much extra speed can I expect??
    I generally run on gravel or short grass with minor jumps - not major bashing - just wondering whether its worth installing.....
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    It's def worth installing. The truck is undergeared a bit from the factory. Gearing it up will "wake up" the motor. You will feel lots more punch and power, and a little more speed.

DO NOT USE THE PIN SYSTEM TO SET GEAR MESH!!! set it manually or that 46t spur will break!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    It's def worth installing. The truck is undergeared a bit from the factory. Gearing it up will "wake up" the motor. You will feel lots more punch and power, and a little more speed.

DO NOT USE THE PIN SYSTEM TO SET GEAR MESH!!! set it manually or that 46t spur will break!
    Thanks - I have an upgraded servo and RPM rear hubs, but otherwise its pretty much stock - will the system be able to handle 46t fine as it is??

How would I set gear mesh manually? I assumed I would set the pins under the motor and thats it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

Do you use any locktite or an extra lock washer when you set it manually?

I would like to change my out to the 46 which was included. Do I also change the pinion or left the stock one?

Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running 20/46 so I bought a separate 20T pinion for a little extra speed. Temps are okay but I wouldn't run constant WOT runs without giving some time for it to cool after a couple runs, but I also know I can be a bit conservative. I also agree to NOT use the motor pins, simply tighten down the motor screws when the mesh looks good. Some people use a piece of paper to space them out, there's plenty of video guides you can find if you need a visual.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post
    I'm running 20/46 so I bought a separate 20T pinion for a little extra speed. Temps are okay but I wouldn't run constant WOT runs without giving some time for it to cool after a couple runs, but I also know I can be a bit conservative. I also agree to NOT use the motor pins, simply tighten down the motor screws when the mesh looks good. Some people use a piece of paper to space them out, there's plenty of video guides you can find if you need a visual.
    Gotcha. Thanks.
    I always thought you had to use the pins only!