Thread: Diff Q

RC Racer

Diff Q

Guys after this diff issue Iíve rebuilt these diffs a few times now and never had this problem!

Finally got the front diff to seal (deff not over tightened) but now the outdrives seem to catch as you turn them, stripped it all down again and canít see any obvious issues

Itís only every so often as you turn it feels to bite and give resistance.

Odd as if you turn out drive in opposing directions it feel ok but when you just rotate one it feels gritty and catches.

RC Racer
    Rebuilt it three times now with no luck!

All I can think of is when I’ve been annoyed with it not seating properly (see my previous issues) I’ve torqued it down too much and somehow damaged the output or spider gears! I’m leaning towards the spider gear/shafts as the outputs are hardened!

Man this whole thing is really putting me off my E Revo!

I now have three crown gears, four diff carries and been through countless gasket sets, granted one crown gear and diff carrier were warranty replacement parts from Traxxas and this has been the only diff I’ve managed to seal correctly.

Traxxas U.K distro should be sending me another crown and carrier they have matched but guess the spider/output drives fall to me so that’s another £50.

I know I could go back to the plastic carriers and be done but that feels like I’ve been defeated.

What weight oil are you using? If its heavy enough it will be pretty hard to turn by hand and will feel a little inconsistent, or "notchy" until the fluid gets evenly worked in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 06-16-2019 at 07:48 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    What weight oil are you using?

Traxxas 100k diff oil

But it’s not just stiffer like I’d expect it definitely catches at points

Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    Traxxas 100k diff oil

But itís not just stiffer like Iíd expect it definitely catches at points
    Yeah if it's a blatant catch somewhere it's probably not right. I might get flamed for this, but I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in the truck and see if it works itself out. You might have a bur or flaw that will get taken care of with a little use or it could go kaboom. Sounds like you have enough spares. I wouldn't feel defeated unless you are secretly head of quality control at traxxas. Not your fault you keep getting bad parts. Have you considered the hot racing diff housings? They are blue, but hidden.

RC Competitor
    Yeah if it's a blatant catch somewhere it's probably not right. I might get flamed for this, but I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in the truck and see if it works itself out. You might have a bur or flaw that will get taken care of with a little use or it could go kaboom. Sounds like you have enough spares. I wouldn't feel defeated unless you are secretly head of quality control at traxxas. Not your fault you keep getting bad parts. Have you considered the hot racing diff housings? They are blue, but hidden.

I'd install them and use them as well. Most likely the roughness will clean up.

What's the worst that could happen? They grind themselves up? They would be returned either way.

I have the HR housings, but haven't used them yet. The diffs are built, during which I had no problems. I'm planning on using them in a project I'm building.

RC Racer

Quote Originally Posted by devzero View Post
    I'd install them and use them as well. Most likely the roughness will clean up.

What's the worst that could happen? They grind themselves up? They would be returned either way.

I have the HR housings, but haven't used them yet. The diffs are built, during which I had no problems. I'm planning on using them in a project I'm building.
    Haha Nick you know me too well! The blue on the drive shaft boots and the seals on the axle carries actually bother me... mind you my next project might be grey and anodised blue colour scheme (would save me a fortune haha)

The thing is the kit is all new and these are Traxxasís own upgraded parts so I could fit and try but should it pop and damaged something else in its wake Iím I right to blame Traxxas for it are would the right thing to do would be to raise this issue now.

Well now I have to give a huge kudos to Logic (Traxxas UK) and Modelsport, basically my initial contact with logic wasnít ideal but then they have no evidence just my email but off the back of a video I sent them and them checking their stock they have deemed there to be a issue with the compatibility of the housing and gears on a batch they have, so moving forward they are sending me all I need to totally rebuild my diff and Iíve just got to ship back the faulty items so no waiting around.

Obviously in an ideal world I wouldnít have had to go four weeks with a Revo in pieces but at least they have stepped up to fix it

Not sure if Traxxas or any of the above check on here but Iím happy with how this has played out, just have my fingers crossed theirs no hiccups building my last diff....

EvilR will be uk and running soon...