Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by . . . . . . . . . . View Post
    Looking good.

I got a little further on my build. I haven't painted all of the logs yet, but I got the body wired up.

The last thing I need now is another build, but you have me thinking about the logging truck I want to make using a King Hauler... Are you planning anything for a front bumper?

Well, I think I am ready to call my trailer project done. I did go backwards a couple of steps trying to figure out Fusion 360 after they rearrange the interface, but I am figuring it out.

I got the ramps and the jack built.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

It took me a couple of times to get the ramps the way I wanted them. One of the key skills I am lacking in Fusion is how to do assemblies, that would have helped to get the parts right the first time, or the second, or the third...

The jack worked out better than I thought it would. My first through was to print threads into the jack base and print out a jack screw with a handle. The base worked out ok, but the jack screw was trickier than I thought it would be. For strength's sake, I printed out the jack screw laying down, but the threads came out horribly, and totally unusable. The second attempt I printed the jack screw vertically and the threads came out prefect, but the jack screw snapped with just a little bit of resistance (8mm with 100% infill PLA). So, I decided to inlay two 6mm hex nuts into the base and use a 100mm chunk of all-thread. After that turned out good I made a foot and handle and put the whole mess together. Overall I like how it turned out, but I am thinking about taking about 15mm off of the all-thread...

Here it is mounted together with three hex bolts. The upper and lower jack base plates sandwich the frame, holding it in place.

I am excited to see how this looks behind my TRX6...

Next up... Going to make some tool organization, then hopefully the frame rails for my 6x6 come in and I'll start work on that.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 09-29-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

More stuffs....

I am one of those freaks that makes my own lighting systems, as a result, I have a ready supply of LEDs (nothing worse than when you are ready to build and don't have the parts).

Currently I am using electrical tape containers (3M) to store and organize my LEDs. This works, but it can be come a little unwieldy.

In case you are wondering, my LED of choice are Common Sense LEDs. So far I have had great success with them, they come prewired with the load resistor, put out a good amount of light, and they have a very wide voltage range.

Here is what I came up with...

The first print I did didn't adhere well to the bed and I had to stop the print about an hour in. This turned out to be a good thing, because I realized I had to modify the design to make it work properly.

When the first print failed I tested the tape canisters and realized that they would wobble around, so I added steps...

All mounted up...

RC Qualifier
    Are you creating the designs yourself? If so, which package?
    Or are you finding them online and printing??

Seems like you have your printer dialled in pretty nice now!
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Are you creating the designs yourself? If so, which package?
    Or are you finding them online and printing??

Seems like you have your printer dialled in pretty nice now!
    In the beginning I was getting all of my parts off of Thingiverse. I was able to scale them to the size I wanted in the slicer, Simplify 3D, and then print them out. But, there is just so much I could do with other people's designs, so I am in the process of teaching myself Fusion 360 (free for hobbyist). I am getting pretty dangerous in it, but there are a lot of things yet to be learned. There are several really good video series on learning this program. One thing to keep in mind though, Fusion just had a revision of it's interface, so the menus will be different.

RC Qualifier
    Cool - yes to get the most from any 3D printer you really need to start learning a modelling program so you can tailor-make items for yourself, as you are!
    Other people may overlook something you make straight away as nothing special, but every time you see it you'll be like "I made and printed that"! lol

My youngest has an Anet E12 and yes things really didn't take off until he got into designing and making files for his own things. Also understanding what the different materials are good to be used for.

We had a plstic part in our refridgerator break, holds the vegatable door in place. The part is basically part of a large plastic assembly and they wanted $200.00 for the part. My son made a part that was able to be attached to the existing plastic and it works great. That was a year ago. Many other parts too.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    That trailer ended up coming out great!

I was able to get out and play a little this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by . . . . . . . . . . View Post
    Man, as fun as it looks, I would almost hate to drive that on the rocks. Are you done with it, or do you have more planned?

I am finding that it is not a lack of 3D projects holding me back, its settling down and concentrating on just one of them.

I have a Hobbywing programmer the doubles as a really good lipo checker. I sold the RC that it came with, and the guy wasn't interested in the programmer, so I use it for my lipos. I like it, but it can get a little unwieldy, and keeping it straight so I can read the cell values can get annoying...

So, I built a stand for it...

It is now a lot easier to use, I connect up the battery and the balance cable isn't trying to push the checker all over the workbench.

But, as I am posting this, I realized I messed up on the design. I should have designed in a way for it to hang on my pegboard. Well, back to Fusion 360 for a revision...

Bravo their Chief! Very Cool
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just scored an Ender 5 with upgrades and extras. Iím really stoked to start using it. Got lots of filament, nozzles and upgraded hoses already installed, and 3 beds.

Somehow builds are never done....

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Just scored an Ender 5 with upgrades and extras. Iím really stoked to start using it. Got lots of filament, nozzles and upgraded hoses already installed, and 3 beds.

Wholly COW!!!! Nice find!

Sadly, I have discovered that having a 3D printer is just like having a RC, there lots of upgrades you can do, and you always want another... Prusa just came out with their Mini, I'll likely pick this one up soon.

The absolute coolest thing about all of this is thinking about a part you want to build, designing it on the computer, then seeing the printer spit it out. Moreover, seeing it actually work like you wanted it to.

I really like my Spektrum gear, and my DX5R is my main radio, but the 'Knob' control is almost useless. I am getting rear-steering installed on my Bomber, so I made that control a bit more useful...

I have also designed my own spare tire mounts, just waiting for my wheels to arrive so I can actually mount one of these on my TRX6...

RC Competitor
    I peinted this body for one of my customers. This is their build so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice, what material?

RC Competitor
    Just PLA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Wholly COW!!!! Nice find!

Sadly, I have discovered that having a 3D printer is just like having a RC, there lots of upgrades you can do, and you always want another... Prusa just came out with their Mini, I'll likely pick this one up soon.

The absolute coolest thing about all of this is thinking about a part you want to build, designing it on the computer, then seeing the printer spit it out. Moreover, seeing it actually work like you wanted it to.

I really like my Spektrum gear, and my DX5R is my main radio, but the 'Knob' control is almost useless. I am getting rear-steering installed on my Bomber, so I made that control a bit more useful...

I have also designed my own spare tire mounts, just waiting for my wheels to arrive so I can actually mount one of these on my TRX6...

Very cool stuff. I can see myself getting carried away

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Very cool stuff. I can see myself getting carried away

Easily, especially in the design phase, trying to get the part perfect before it gets printed.

RC Qualifier
    Wish I had the Ultimaker 3......

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Wish I had the Ultimaker 3......
    No joke there.

Considering that my printer is a toy to make toys for my toys, there is no way I could justify the $3500 to myself. I couldn't justify $1500 for a Lulzbot Mini. My CR10 has been good to me, it has dutifully spit out everything I have fed it.

I am eyeing that Prusa Mini, looks very good for the price. It should be coming out this month, so early next month the reviews should start.

RC Competitor
    Dun dun dun

Looks like you are missing the holes in the windows...

RC Competitor
    Looks like you are missing the holes in the windows...
    That's cause you're looking at the passenger side

RC Racer
    Heres a tip I found helpful:
    Wiping down the print with acetone will help smooth it out and make it more visually pleasing.
    (I wouldn't recommend this for something that is meant to take a lot of weight, such as a chassis or arm (as acetone makes the plastic softer and weaker.)
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No joke there.

Considering that my printer is a toy to make toys for my toys, there is no way I could justify the $3500 to myself. I couldn't justify $1500 for a Lulzbot Mini. My CR10 has been good to me, it has dutifully spit out everything I have fed it.

I am eyeing that Prusa Mini, looks very good for the price. It should be coming out this month, so early next month the reviews should start.
    I just got the BL touch for my ender5. Having trouble getting things just right. This should take the guess work out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12