Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Curiosity question. Could you convert the "pony radio" 3,4,5 channels to a rheostat control instead of basic on/off commands? Building your own box you would have the room to mount them.

Example: For the Tonka truck booms have two knobs next to each other. Left one control the left boom and the right one control the right boom.
    Channels 3 - 5 can be programmed for on/off, linear, or in steps, depending on what switch I assign them to. But, at their core, those channel inputs are digital, and translated into analog by the control board. To convert particular switches to analog sliders, like how the steering and throttle are, would require some engineering level redesign of the controller, plus a bit of programming. All of this could be done, but the radio itself has the functionality I am looking for, I just want it in another form.

A DX5R has an analog knob that I have turned into a slider, but that was just a case of designing and printing the slider, easy-peasy. If I would have used this radio instead I would have had at least one channel the way you described. But, gutting a $100 radio for this conversion made me a little ill, gutting a $250 radio for this was not a gamble I was willing to take.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that there were differences of analog and digital channels on a controller. I was just thinking that adding a rheostat or potentiometer to a channel would be quick and give you full range of a servo. I didn't know there was more involved. I learned something new, Thanks again.

RC poster
    that looks good. Maybe I should buy a 3D Printer myself.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-18-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsure View Post
    that looks good. Maybe I should buy a 3D Printer myself.
    I highly recommend it. Getting ready to buy my second printer, a Creality CR6. The abundance of stuff available for download will keep your printer busy for a while. But, if you truly want to get the most effective use out of the machine, learn how to model your own parts with a program like Fusion 360 (if you don't know how to use a CAD program already).
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-18-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: modified quote

Well, after a weekend of printing, I have parts. They are close, I need to do some hand finishing. I don't know if my measurements where off in a couple of areas, or my printer had an adhesion issue, might be a little of both...

I have four buttons to design and print, plus a bunch of soldering to do. Just about none of the wires are long enough.

Here is some practical 3D printing...

A while back I printed off two sets of these pegboard spool holders that use a dowel. They worked, but the wood was flimsy, and if I pulled too hard the whole mess would come apart, or the holders themselves would break. Didn't get a shot of the one that holds my wire, but it was sagging worse than this one.

So, I designed new brackets for this, ditching the pegboard interface altogether. Instead of a wooden dowel, I used an 8mm hollow aluminum dowel. After about 20 minutes in Fusion and five hours on the printer, I had my brackets...

To make sure the dowel stays put, I designed in holes for zip-ties...

ITS ALIVE!!!!

RC Enthusiast

Adventures In 3D Printing

Nice project there with the pony remote.

This is what has been consuming my free time.

Scx24 is the base I started with. Tires are 3d printed flexible filament. Wheels are headlocks with a hub cap essentially. Figuring out the glass and lights next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is cool!!! I have seen a couple of those Tesla truck models on Thingiverse, they look like cool projects. I'll have to get some of the projects cleared off of my workbench before I tackle something like this.

RC Competitor
    I am never going to look at this thread again... I can feel the money coming out of my pocket...
    I already have an ender 3 pro but I don't have a crawler... I really only user if for electronic mounts / covers. Made myself a small scale RC stand and a bunch of quad copter parts.
    I don't have room for more toys darnit! Never looking again.... unless it pops up in new posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnuts View Post
    I am never going to look at this thread again... I can feel the money coming out of my pocket...
    I already have an ender 3 pro but I don't have a crawler... I really only user if for electronic mounts / covers. Made myself a small scale RC stand and a bunch of quad copter parts.
    I don't have room for more toys darnit! Never looking again.... unless it pops up in new posts.
    You have to understand that once you start feeding this beast, you can't stop...

Lots of projects on the bench still, it always feels good to get a project completed. This project though, opens the doors to several other I have had sitting on the back burner.

The pony radio lives! The first project I am going to assault with it, sadly, is not a Traxxas RC(s). I am going back and correcting some of the sins of my King Hauler, putting in a better ESC, cleaning up the wiring, adding some new functionality, and adding remote coupling/decoupling of the trailer.

The trailer is where the pony radio comes in. The powered leg kit for the trailers is ok, and designed so that a lever from the hitch raises and lowers the gear; but there are no limit switches, driving the gear into the stops is common and causes stripped gears. The trailer will have its own RX controlled from the pony radio that will raise and lower the gear, control the trailer lights, and control a bypass relay. To prevent the gear from driving into the stops I am going to put in limit switches what will disconnect a motor lead, the relay will bypass the limit switches and allow the gear to move.

Another project running down this line makes me REALLY wish Traxxas would come out with a builder's TRX6 kit. I want to build a military-style 1:14 scale hauler that will be compatible with 1:14 scale trailers. Then again, I might end up buying another gun-metal grey TRX6, using the body as a replacement for my current TRX6, and the chassis for this project.

One of the other projects that will use this pony radio is my Tonka TRX4 build.

This guy is currently ran off a 12-ch radio, and there are a lot of problems. As a basic RC it runs fine, the booms and winches do not function like a want them. Some of the issues are the linkages I have made, but the other issue is with the radio itself and not being able to separate mode-dependent slaved channels, and not being able to reassign channels to various controls on the radio.

Another issue is with the RX itself. It is a royal pain to try to keep 10 channels wired cleanly when they are coming into one spot. Running with two receivers I will be able to clean up the wiring a lot, run fewer extenders, and have the RX centralized to where the channels are located.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey greatscott. You are a very talented man!I wish i can do that. You can make your self whatever you want if you try! I bet you can save alot of money with that printer

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    Hey greatscott. You are a very talented man!I wish i can do that. You can make your self whatever you want if you try! I bet you can save alot of money with that printer
    If I can learn it, anyone can. The process really isn't that difficult after learning the basics, from there it all about getting experience.

Money savings really doesn't play into it (and there isn't any), it is just another part of the hobby. The biggest benefit is being able to make the exact part I want, instead of trying to find it on line or cobble something together from spare parts.

I have been told I should start selling some of the parts I design, in particular the monster winches I make for the TRX-4/6, along with some of the parts I have made for my Element Enduro, but my confidence isn't there yet. When I get my second printer I might consider doing that to see what comes from it.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-31-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234