Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Curiosity question. Could you convert the "pony radio" 3,4,5 channels to a rheostat control instead of basic on/off commands? Building your own box you would have the room to mount them.

Example: For the Tonka truck booms have two knobs next to each other. Left one control the left boom and the right one control the right boom.
    Channels 3 - 5 can be programmed for on/off, linear, or in steps, depending on what switch I assign them to. But, at their core, those channel inputs are digital, and translated into analog by the control board. To convert particular switches to analog sliders, like how the steering and throttle are, would require some engineering level redesign of the controller, plus a bit of programming. All of this could be done, but the radio itself has the functionality I am looking for, I just want it in another form.

A DX5R has an analog knob that I have turned into a slider, but that was just a case of designing and printing the slider, easy-peasy. If I would have used this radio instead I would have had at least one channel the way you described. But, gutting a $100 radio for this conversion made me a little ill, gutting a $250 radio for this was not a gamble I was willing to take.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that there were differences of analog and digital channels on a controller. I was just thinking that adding a rheostat or potentiometer to a channel would be quick and give you full range of a servo. I didn't know there was more involved. I learned something new, Thanks again.

RC poster
    ****, that looks good. Maybe I should buy a 3D Printer myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsure View Post
    ****, that looks good. Maybe I should buy a 3D Printer myself.
    I highly recommend it. Getting ready to buy my second printer, a Creality CR6. The abundance of stuff available for download will keep your printer busy for a while. But, if you truly want to get the most effective use out of the machine, learn how to model your own parts with a program like Fusion 360 (if you don't know how to use a CAD program already).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234