Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30

    Open Diff upgrade, Do It!!

    Just finished taking the UDR out and trying the open diff. upgrade. If you have second thoughts about it, don't, just do it. The first time I took the UDR out, I first took the body off, because I have read that it rolled pretty easy with the spool rear diff. I did roll it 3-4 times and I wasn't doing anything crazy. After the change, I didn't roll it any, and I got it sideways a bunch. The body is going back on tomorrow. I did check the rear axle and motor for heat and it got to about 106 tops. The only thing I did not like was you can't run the calipers after the change.

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    90
    Really.....I have brake calipers on my truck......limit the straps....makes the diff run smoother and cooler.

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    84
    Are you driving your UDR on pavement? Thatís the only time mine wants to get up on 2 wheels, unless you keep the tires spinning. In the dirt, it stays pretty flat. The key to driving this thing is keeping the tires spinning in the corners. The real trophy trucks are probably the same with a spool on pavement. Have you guys seen the beginning of the Baja 1000 when the trucks make that first turn on 3 wheels? Pretty cool


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Bumps View Post
    Are you driving your UDR on pavement? Thatís the only time mine wants to get up on 2 wheels, unless you keep the tires spinning. In the dirt, it stays pretty flat. The key to driving this thing is keeping the tires spinning in the corners. The real trophy trucks are probably the same with a spool on pavement. Have you guys seen the beginning of the Baja 1000 when the trucks make that first turn on 3 wheels? Pretty cool


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I drive mine wherever I can....a lot of pavement....some grass area....love the open diff.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
    I drive mine wherever I can....a lot of pavement....some grass area....love the open diff.
    Cool


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30
    Got all of the parts in to do the #2 UDR. FlyingDutchman, Would like to know how you are able to run the calipers after the open diff change.

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by cwmoss View Post
    Just finished taking the UDR out and trying the open diff. upgrade. If you have second thoughts about it, don't, just do it. The first time I took the UDR out, I first took the body off, because I have read that it rolled pretty easy with the spool rear diff. I did roll it 3-4 times and I wasn't doing anything crazy. After the change, I didn't roll it any, and I got it sideways a bunch. The body is going back on tomorrow. I did check the rear axle and motor for heat and it got to about 106 tops. The only thing I did not like was you can't run the calipers after the change.
    Honestly, loving the UDR!! I want it!! However I’ve heard it has a tendency to flip a lot!! No bueno!! I live on the beach and I’d love to run that thing along the dunes just don’t want to comprise performance elsewhere.. How much better does it perform with the open diff?? and how much did it cost ya in parts?? And how long did it take?? Thanks in advance!!

    Chris
    Last edited by Hookedup; 09-29-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •