RC poster

LiPo Cell Drops To 0v Shortly While Charing

Hey there. I've got a Traxxas ID 3s LiPo and I'm charging on a non Traxxas charger. This has been fine for two years straight but I'm running into an odd issue now. While charging (currently attempting balance), the cell voltages jump all over the place rapidly. Cell 1 will jump between 3.9v and 4.15 often. After a bit Cell 1 drops to 0v for a short period of time and then comes back. If I leave it alone the charger will eventually terminate and claim a "vol err, cell connect" error. Any idea what this could be? Is it an issue with my balance board or the battery itself? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Do you have a multimeter? Check the individual cell voltages of the battery. If they seem fine then it is a wiring issue. Do you have other batteries that do the same? If so it could be the charger.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Assuming I'm reading/using this multimeter properly (it's analog) I'm reading 3.8v on each cell. Regardless, each cell came back the same.

I do have another battery, however, it's not a Traxxas battery so it's a little different setup (on the same charger). But it is a 3s and uses the same balance board, and it charges just fine.

RC poster
    Just lowered the charge rate and now it seems to be fine. Not sure why that would be though...

RC Qualifier
    The battery may be coming to the end of its life. If possible check the cell voltages under load as this will give a better idea of what the cells are doing when placed under a load condition. You can also check the resistance of each cell and see if itís high. Last you might have a bad wire. Check the battery leads and connector as well for loose or partially broken connection. Hope you find the issue. Good day.