RC Enthusiast

Need diagnostic help

Hi everyone. The other day my Rustler 4x4 VXL motor stopped working. I have a Castle 1512 2400kv with Mamba X ESC. The steering servo still works but the motor is not responding to commands. The ESC light changes so I know the throttle commands are making it to the ESC but nothing happens. The engine stopped after a hard landing so I thought it might be a connection loose but thatís not it. Any recommendations on how to diagnose the problem? I hope I didnít burn up the engine but I donít know how to assess for that. Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Do you still have the stock motor you could swap in to test? First thing, IMO, is to figure out if it is an ESC or motor issue. I'd be you are right about a connection though, a hard landing *shouldn't* kill the motor.

RC Enthusiast
    I do still have the stock motor. Great idea. I’ll try different combos and see what happens. Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    Castle motor responds on stock ESC.
    Neither castle or stock motor respond on Mamba X.

Mamba X turns on as normal. It’s just doesn’t make the car go...

Thoughts?

RC Enthusiast
    Mamba X LED is solid yellow when in neutral, green at full throttle and red under reverse so that’s all normal. The motor just doesn’t respond. I checked all accessible connections within the ESC and all are connected well. Problem internal to the ESC maybe?

RC Enthusiast
    Sure sounds like the ESC is messed up, I'd try and warranty it. It's certainly possible an internal solder connection failed after a big G event.

Does the steering servo operate from the Mamba or is it non functional too?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
    Sure sounds like the ESC is messed up, I'd try and warranty it. It's certainly possible an internal solder connection failed after a big G event.

Does the steering servo operate from the Mamba or is it non functional too?

Servo still operates. Good suggestion on the warranty. Iíll reach out to Castle.

Have you stopped and made sure that the sensor wire is fully seated in the motor and esc? If the wire comes loose or breaks it can prevent the motor from operating.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Have you stopped and made sure that the sensor wire is fully seated in the motor and esc? If the wire comes loose or breaks it can prevent the motor from operating.
    Thanks. I did. All looked seated properly. Iíve mailed the ESC out for warranty service. Unfortunately theyíre quoting a 6 week turnaround.

RC poster
    “I have a Castle 1512 2400kv with Mamba X ESC.”

My first thought was that you no longer have a Rustler 4x4 VXL ��

Sounds like you have gotten good tipping and are on track to narrow it down.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli_av8tor View Post
    ďI have a Castle 1512 2400kv with Mamba X ESC.Ē

My first thought was that you no longer have a Rustler 4x4 VXL ��

Sounds like you have gotten good tipping and are on track to narrow it down.
    Fair enough

ESC has been sent off to Castle for warranty repair. While waiting on it to be sent back, Iíve reinstalled the factory motor and ESC. I reinstalled the stock spur and 17T pinion as well. Now its overheating after roughly 10 minutes on 3S and 2S. The ESC hits the thermal cutoff and it needs to cool down before itíll operate. I checked for any binding in the drivetrain to see if there was any additional stress being placed on the motor but Iím not finding anything. My only theory is this: Iím running Proline Trenchers in 2.8. Is the stock motor/ESC prone to overheat while turning a larger tire such as this? Both motor and ESC get very hot (canít find my temperature gun at the moment). Iím tired of this car being constantly broken... It seems it breaks every time I run it. Any thoughts on the overheating?

Unfortunately the stock motor and esc runs hot. On top of that your tires are heavy. I hope castle gets your esc back to you soon. I run the same combo in mine and itís a beast. Donít get frustrated this is a tough truck. This is hobby stuff, breaking and repairing is part of it. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbold View Post
    Unfortunately the stock motor and esc runs hot. On top of that your tires are heavy. I hope castle gets your esc back to you soon. I run the same combo in mine and itís a beast. Donít get frustrated this is a tough truck. This is hobby stuff, breaking and repairing is part of it. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The more I spend, the less fun it becomes Iíll go back to the stock tires while awaiting the ESC to return. Thanks for confirming what I suspected may be true! I built mine based off of posts from you!

RC poster

Need diagnostic help

Got em back for wrong address pm me yoyr address and will send tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryknomy View Post
    Got em back for wrong address pm me yoyr address and will send tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk
    Thinking maybe this was meant for someone else...