RC poster

Beginner help please.

My son is turning 13 soon and I'm wanting to get him either a bandit, rusty or slash. I have been doing research for a few weeks now and have an understanding of what I want to get him. One of those models listed above, brushed motor (would like him to be able to upgrade in the future), 1/10 size and also RTR. I want everything in the same box. I guess my main questions are:

Which model should I get him?

Do I have to get a wall charger even if it's RTR? I only see a car adapter..

And can someone explain the ID thing to me?

I wanna get him one first and then have a good excuse to let my inner child out and get a car/buggy/truck for myself.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Unless you get something like the Slash Ultimate, none of them (as far as I know) include "everything" in the box. You'll need to purchase (separately) AA batteries for the transmitter, plus you'll need at least one battery (preferably 2-3) for the vehicle, as well as a charger for said battery/batteries.

As for "Traxxas ID", that's related to the LiPo batteries. While non-Traxxas LiPo batteries have two separate built-in connectors (one for charging the battery, the other for balancing the LiPo cells), Traxxas has combined them into a single proprietary connector, this you only have one thing to plug in to charge the batteries. While this seems like a 'good' thing, it also allows Traxxas to charge whatever they want for their batteries & chargers...and, charge a lot they do. To give you an idea, a Traxxas 2S 5000mA LiPo battery will cost $60, while other brands will be in the $35-50 range.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from purchasing a Traxxas vehicle, having your LHS cut off the Traxxas connectors, soldier on a different connector (such as XT60, XT90, or EC5), purchasing a 'normal' charger, and purchasing batteries with that connector. While shops topically charge for the soldiering service, if you purchase the charger, batteries, and connectors from them, many ships will provide the soldiering for free (not saying "all", just "many").

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    I think he'll love either one you get him! I just turned 13 myself and my grandma got me an e revo brushless vxl (1/16) and it's amazing! you might want to let him know that it's (pretty much any traxxas car) great splashing and skimming through or ON water, but NOT AT THE BEACH. I did that with my car and it corroded the battery, but other than that I think your son will love any car you give him! (you are on the traxxas page, so you must have good taste)

RC poster
    and as for a good excuse...I'm not sure if my vote would be as good as an adult's because I know my place as a kid, but I think you'd really enjoy the rustler 4x4($300-$350,) e-revo brushless vxl ($250-$450,) Ford Raptor (about $260,) the Ford GT (which is off $50 for a sale which would make that $250.) however, if your crazy you might want to buy the 'xo-1 w/TSM' which is obviously a sports car that will put you IN DEBT being sold at a staggering $799-$999 https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/xo-1-tsm

RC poster
    Yeti and Panther, thank you both for your advice and input. I really like the looks and features of this Rustler...

https://m.traxxas.com/products/model...37054-1rustler

It says it's RTR, brushless ready (hopefully in the future my son will get really into this and he will wanna upgrade it, 7 cell nimh battery and a 12v DC charger. Tell me what you guys think and if I need to get a wall charger or adapter. As far as ID am I ok as long as I use nimh batteries instead of lipo?? I ask because as a noobie I dont know anyone who does soldering or anything. It will be something I look in to in the future.

RC poster
    well yur definitely gonna need one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2976-...42254208&psc=1

RC poster
    because if yur an adult, using the cigarette liting port doesn't matter, but for a kid you DEFINITELY want to get this (see above)

RC Competitor
    I would like to recommend skipping the brushed version and go right to brushless. I started off my son brushed, and the money I spent on burnt motors and a fried esc cost more then going brushless from the start. Those titans dont last long. My son is 5, we both have brushless 2wd rustler like vehicles. I have a switch on his transmitter that can limit power 50%/75%/100%. I run his at 50, and it's still faster then the brushed version, and the battery lasts twice as long.
    If you do go brushed, once the motor fries, and it will, I highly recommend checking out Holmes Hobbies for a new motor. He recently came out with a 550 12t motor for 20 bucks, that'll outlast 3 titans.
    Also be prepared to spend alot more then the price of the vehicle, as you will want lipo batteries and a quality charger. As a previous poster mentioned, ditch the ID system and get a more universal battery system. Its almost a guarentee you will end up buying more RC cars, possibly different manufacturers so having a battery system work for all of them is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    yeah brushless al the way. there's a world of difference in the performance and runtime. You should check out the videos they have for that

RC Racer
    I built a VXL Rustler 2wd for my 10yr old Nephew recently, and it was a perfect car!

Paired it with a 7200mah 90c 2s Lipo, and 25/83 gearing——car runs low to mid 50s, and a perfect basher with zero temp issues

I would highly advise going the brushless route...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I am also (sort of) close to your son's age, and the rustler you linked to will work just fine, but along with the others here, I would strongly recommend getting the vxl model, along with a battery (you don't have to get a lipo, but the stuff you hear about explosions is from people mistreating the batteries, and NiMH and NiCad batteries can explode too). If you do get the XL-5 model, you will need to read the thread I link to about brushed motor care. I would recommend doing what the thread says to do every 3 to 4 battery packs.

Edit: Here is the link https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...recommendation. Something else to do is to use the store search feature on the site, and go to your LHS (local hobby shop) and look at what they have, and ask for advice there as well. In addition to that, my LHS consistently has slightly cheaper prices than what 7 on the traxxas website.
    Last edited by Is_It_Broken?; 06-24-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Link and additional info

RC poster
    OK you guys have convinced me. I will get a brushless model. So what I should do is buy in the brushless then go up to a hobby shop and get the rest of the stuff that I need, like lipo, charger and what else? Is that it? Will I be good then?

Quickly...and very shortly...going back to your vehicle choices, I'd go with the Rustler or Slash, and skip the Bandit. The Bandit is a very good vehicle, but its ground clearance is very low...for a 1st vehicle, something with higher ground clearance (ie. Rustler & Slash) is a better/smarter choice. I might even lean more towards the Slash (even though the Rusty was my 1st Traxxas), as there are alternate body options not currently available to the Rusty,

I'm also in agreement of getting the VXL bushless model. Even with the brushless model, your son will still have PLENTY of upgrade options available - tires, wheels, shocks, (pinion & spur) gears, center differential (replacing the slipper), etc. For the Slash, there are even chassis replacement options, sick as the aluminum chassis Availability from Shining Star Chassis. As as I enjoy my Rustler, thinking back, I wish I had started with the Slash.

Finally, there's the "4WD vs 2WD" matter. I am quite happy that I started with the 4x4 version...but, for a teenager, knowing the additional maintenance required, getting the 2WD Carson might be a better way to start. For Father's Day, I got t step-dad (who's retired) a 2WD Slash, and he absolutely loves it. The easier maintenance (compared to the 4x4) is part of the reason. Yes, he will probably get a 4WD RC in the next couple of years, he is more than happy starting with the 2WD.

Now...quit "thinking", and go get it.

RC poster
    So I am having issues finding an RC hobby shop anywhere close to me. Is there another site I can get the batteries and charger from? You know for cheaper?

When my LHS doesn't have what I want/need, I have two "go-tos" I always turn to - AMain Hobbies, and RC Planet (in that order). AMain has one of the largest selections available, and their customer service is outstanding. If you have any questions, no matter how 'dumb' you might think they are, give AMain a call...they're patient, and can answer (almost) any question you have. I've even split credit card payments for orders by calling them. One of these days, I'll drive up there (it's a 3.5-4hr drive), for some in-person experience.

Last edited by Panther6834; 06-24-2019 at 01:14 PM.

RC poster
    Well everyone I pulled the trigger. Rusty vxl... I will admit I went the slightly used route and got nimh batteries and a charger included for $235. Did I forget anything?

Nope...good start. Tho, I'm willing to bet that, before long, you'll be wanting one, yourself. Then, you sand your son, can take against each other.

RC poster
    Panther, I agree. The last rc car I had was the Ricochet back in the mid - late 90s (it got trapped in the ditch drain under the driveway lol). Last year when I was working at a dealership one of the other sales guy had one of these cars and I was fascinated at how fast it was. Also my wife agreed that once we get a house that I can turn a section of the backyard in to an rc track. So I'll probably wait until I get a house to get one for me. I am hella excited tho. Thank you guys for talking me out of a brushed motor!

RC Enthusiast
    I'd like to jump in and add my youngest is five and he is quickly growing out of his bandit I give him another couple years with it before I grab him a slash. I guess it's at what point you start...my five year old changes out tires on his bandit by himself pretty easily...I check for tightness and he's ripping again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk