RC poster

2wd slash gear box noise

Hi all
    First I am new to this forum and new to the traxxas truck world. I purchased a 2wd 1/10 slash "the doctor edition" truck for my son about 3 weeks ago. He is almost 9, and drives it on pavement, gravel, sand, grass, and some puddles.

Yesterday, I noticed that a noise has developed from what I think is the gear box. It happens only when you release the trigger on the controller. It takes off and runs fine, just when you release the trigger you get this strange noise. It doesn't sound like a grinding noise, almost like a brake or something.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with suggestions.

Thanks
    Shawn

Remove the cover on the right side and see if there is something stuck in the gears.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Ok, thank you will do.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducebigalow View Post
    Hi all
    First I am new to this forum and new to the traxxas truck world. I purchased a 2wd 1/10 slash "the doctor edition" truck for my son about 3 weeks ago. He is almost 9, and drives it on pavement, gravel, sand, grass, and some puddles.

Yesterday, I noticed that a noise has developed from what I think is the gear box. It happens only when you release the trigger on the controller. It takes off and runs fine, just when you release the trigger you get this strange noise. It doesn't sound like a grinding noise, almost like a brake or something.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with suggestions.

Thanks
    Shawn
    It may very well be braking.
    If the neutral position is off, the ESC may think it's in braking position.
    Best to recalibrate the radio to the ESC if there is ever any doubt!

RC poster
    Thank you I will look at that before taking anything apart.

RC poster
    Ok, I removed the cover and there didn't seem to be anything in there, but I did an entire clean of the truck including pulling the motor and cleaning it. I did notice there seems to be slight movement on the shaft of the motor, should it be doing that? I do believe at this point it is the motor because while it was removed I ran it forward/reverse and occasionally it still made the noise. I thought after I had cleaned it it was better but after putting it back together and running it, it still sounds horrible. I have a sound clip but not sure where to attach it. After a short run, the motor was extremely hot as well.

RC Enthusiast
    when first running with traxxas machines I was reluctant to call them and get the run around, and I tried figuring issues out on my own, but they are truly great, and easy to work with. and can walk any novice through problems there might be with controller/electronics.

RC poster
    I think part of your message got cut off, but I assume you are talking about Traxxas Support? I don't think its a controller/electronics issue after I tried the above, I believe it is the motor now. However, I am new to this so I will look into all who make a comment.
    Thank you

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ducebigalow View Post
    I think part of your message got cut off, but I assume you are talking about Traxxas Support? I don't think its a controller/electronics issue after I tried the above, I believe it is the motor now. However, I am new to this so I will look into all who make a comment.
    Thank you
    I had a similar issue before I stripped a Spur gear. The motor should NOT have any play at all. With the motor removed check if the slipper clutch and shaft have any play. If so you should put new bearings in the transmission, reset the sipper clutch, and reset the pinion/spur gear. Nearly every other race I do a teardown of the entire truck to check for wear and tear. Just some thoughts on where to look.

RC poster
    Update
    I contacted the support at Traxxas as recommended by "rookie-slashdad", they (Steve) had me register the truck, answer some questions, and send in a copy of the receipt (this morning). I received an email this afternoon from Steve that said the new motor is on its way! That was great to hear and good customer service in my books.
    Thank you to all who tried to help.