RC Enthusiast

6 month Maintenance, stainless steel screw kit and Testing 50wt/ springs

Whatís up yíall. Awesome forum! Wishing I woulda discovered and done more research earlier but stoked on all the great 411.

So far Iíve been bashing my slash 4x4 vxl a lot, a few track days, and more bashing

This thing seems indestructible! So far the only upgrades have been big bore shocks with pink Traxxas Springs with a couple spacers... Iím going back with the stock springs that came with the truck from factory to see if they are stiffer, Iím actually going to disassemble them now and see which are stiffer, I also have a new set of white springs. So Iíll be testing the pink, white, and black springs with the 50wt on the big bores

Iíve been using 25c 2cell 5000 and 7600. I purchased a 3cell and tested at the track and holy *****!!! Thatís when I really wanted to tune the suspension.

For tires for the dirt Iím using badlands mx 10156. Next wheels will probably be trenchers for all around terrain bashing. Anyone run them?

Now cleaning out the center driveshaft and replacing stock screws with stainless screws. While researching on YouTube I saw a guy using a pipe cleaner in the front of and under the clear plastic cover to keep dirt from entering... Has anyone done that here? I havenít seen any threads about it yet. I also noticed a lot of members not having a clear plastic cover at all? I donít have pipe cleaners so I twisted a paper towel and wrapped it around the shaft. (See pic) I tested it briefly and it seems to stay and might block out rocks and debris.

Other then a new proline vw bug body I finished yesterday on proline body mounts and the Bluetooth chip on the controller I think thatís all the mods Iíve done. Feel free to ask any questions or fire off some input.

Iíll post more pics of the bug once I reassemble everything. Thanks ahead of time and thanks for viewing!
    Last edited by RCNRG_Foster; 06-24-2019 at 01:41 PM.

RC Enthusiast

6 month Maintenance, stainless steel screw kit and Testing 50wt/ springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    So the stock springs (black) from stock shocks seem to be a larger gauge and much stiffer then then the pink that came on the big bores but about a half inch shorter. Iím gonna install the new white springs on the big bores and see how it goes. Also I found it odd that the stocker shocks/springs use a larger diameter spring compared to the pink that came with the big bores.

RC poster
    I had trenchers, but i didn't like them all to much, i got the badlands and liked them way more. IMO they hook very well in loose dirt/mud and especially in grass, i always use those for general bashing. I think trenchers are more for mud specifically? they grip good in mud for sure, but for all around bashing i think you should stick with the badlands or something similar.

The Stock BFG mud terrains are not to bad in loose dirt either, they hook pretty well but are not as effective in grass.

The first upgrades i did to mine was shocks, which you have, then aluminum hub carriers, i recommend those and the aluminum casters.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice, dgk. Iím having trouble with one of my big bores not rebounding/ extending by itself now after swapping the oil. I got the other 3 dialed but not the one... trying to figure it out.

RC Enthusiast
    So far it seems like a different truck/ bug with the white springs, pretty sure Iíll stick with this set up and add spacers if needed after I do some bashing and track.

RC Enthusiast

RC poster
    Id ****** in a servo or rebuild yours with metal gears from savox. You will find that is a main weak spot

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah after dialing the suspension today I noticed it takes left turns much sharper then right turns and when turning the wheels at a stop you can see the difference. Can the stock servo be ďadjustedĒ to turn more to the right or left? I think a new servo and hex bolts will be the next mod.

You can try moving the servo horn one tooth clockwise I think. If its too far to the left, it can hit the chassis when making right turns. Servo endpoints should be adjustable as well.

I would also check the lengths on your steering link, turnbuckles, and camber links too.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok cool, thanks nitrobug! Iíll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    You can try moving the servo horn one tooth clockwise I think. If its too far to the left, it can hit the chassis when making right turns. Servo endpoints should be adjustable as well.

I would also check the lengths on your steering link, turnbuckles, and camber links too.
    Note that the servo being 1 tooth over (1 o'clock position) is for the LCG chassis. OP has a HCG chassis.

Maybe try checking that the steering trim on your Tx is at "0", center the servo, and resetting the endpoints.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    This is new to me. How do you set endpoints on the servo?

You can use the Traxxas Link App and your mobile device to set EPAs, or you can use the MENU and SET buttons in the Tx.

See page 37 of the manual for help:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh! Thank you. Squeegie! My zero point on the controller has never been the center point/ straight... it centers the wheels when itís dialed to about 4oíclock. Does that happen straight outta the box? I always thought it was odd. Iím working a night shift tonight and will wrench on it tomorrow.

For HCG, look at page 33 of the manual:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R03.pdf

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RCNRG_Foster View Post
    What’s up y’all. Awesome forum! Wishing I woulda discovered and done more research earlier but stoked on all the great 411.

Now cleaning out the center driveshaft and replacing stock screws with stainless screws.
    I would strongly caution against using stainless steel screws, especially if you're a basher! I switched them all out in my E-Maxx then stripped many of them while doing regular maintenance! Stainless steel screw are more brittle. They are not worth it in my opinion...
    JES

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Jesdoit, Iíll take precaution. Isnít stainless steel harder then then the screw it comes with? What kinda tools are you using? The included allens? Or better driver Allenís? I noticed the included tools are kinda cheap.

Yes, the tools included are lower quality - when have you paid for something that includes accessories that are high quality without paying extra? Hypothetically, if the included tools cost $0.50 per vehicle vs $10 for high quality there is significant savings in the long run. After 10,000 units sold the cost difference is $95,000.
    If you plan on being in the hobby long enough you'll purchase some quality tools and won't have to worry much about stripping screws. And don't use the ball-end of the wrenches as they only have a very small contact patch inside the head and leads to stripping.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RCNRG_Foster View Post
    Thanks Jesdoit, Iíll take precaution. Isnít stainless steel harder then then the screw it comes with? What kinda tools are you using? The included allens? Or better driver Allenís? I noticed the included tools are kinda cheap.

I had high quality tools.
    Without Googling it, if stainless is harder, it is still more brittle than the steel screws that come with your vehicle.
    When I had my E-MAXX, I used to bash it very hard, in any conditions, especially water and snow. When the stock screw heads began to rust a little after cleaning, I switched them all out to stainless.
    Then when I had to make my next major repair, I stripped many screw heads and had to remove them with an extractor. I switched them all back to stock.
    I race my Slash 4x4 indoors only now and got a regular screw set from Tony's Screws and I'm very happy with the set and the price!
    JES

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I understand the marketing of it. I chopped mine and insert into a drill. So far so good. I definitely plan on an upgraded set soon.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh ok. Yeah I didnít google it, yet. Too early in the morning haha... thanks again for the 411. I definitely didnít mind the wd40... although it was a bit messy. Thanks again everyone.

Ps- sorry for my thread being all over the place and not pertaining to the title 100% espresso makes for a scatter brain sometimes haha =]