RC poster

High powered motor and esc help!

I have been working on a 2wd Slash as a project and want it to become a drag car. It is almost finished I just don't have a motor and esc picked out. I have been eyeing up the old traxxas 2 pole vxl system and also some castle system but I don't know how well they will do for speed and heat. Another obstacles is that it has the Duratrax Bandito mt 2.8's on the back so it will have to move alot of tire. So if anyone knows of a good and cheap system that will work well with this pls let me know. Thanks

P.S. I would like to spend under $120

RC Racer
    I don't know how much power you are wanting but this setup would be very quick.

Would also be good for up to 4s lipo

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Although depending on where you are shipping could be a problem

RC poster
    Ya that would would good but at that price I would rather choose the sidewinder 4 with a higher kv.

RC Racer
    Higher kv motor but not as good esc. Either would be fine. It's up to you

What batteries will you be running? 2s or 3s? How heavy is the truck? What gearing?

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC poster
    When I cut it up I would estimate that I took off like .5 to 1 pound. I would like to try to run 3s if it is possible and I do not have any gears picked out, I just want it to go as fast as it could which i was thinking would be around 75 or so

Quote Originally Posted by BuiltJ.R.Tough View Post
    When I cut it up I would estimate that I took off like .5 to 1 pound. I would like to try to run 3s if it is possible and I do not have any gears picked out, I just want it to go as fast as it could which i was thinking would be around 75 or so
    To recap, you want to build a drag car from a 2wd slash. That means straight line high speed pass over short distance with cool down period in between. If this is the case, shorten the a arms (bandit arms) and get the highest kv motor (5700ish) that will not blow up on 3s. Esc doesn't need to be massive, something small and light that will handle 3s (castle sidewinder 4). Then experiment with gearing and throttle core until it is controllable and revs out at the end of your straight.

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Drag racing is all about torque and acceleration so I would stick with 4 pole motors. (2 pole is best for high rpm low torque applications)

Typically in drag racing you want to keep things as light as possible 2s LiPo should be plenty of power. Do you have a budget in mind?

ESC: My recommendation would be the Castle Mamba Monster 2 esc or MMX (for its high amperage output and tuning settings MMX has data logs which are very helpful)

Motor: I would go with the TP Power 4030 motor in a high KV like this one:
    http://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/in-...p-4030-6330-kv

For reference I setup a 4tec 2.0 with a TP 4040CM 5700kv running the MMX esc and was breaking 70mph on 2s power. That motor can take 4s in short bursts!
    Even with its 4wd and racing foams it was hard to get traction, absolutely FAST
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 06-28-2019 at 09:41 AM.

RC poster
    The sidewinder 4 5700kv combo was actually the original system I/ was looking at in the beginning of this project and after your advice I think I might just pull the trigger and purchase it. Do you have any advice on gearing?

RC Qualifier
    The sidewinder 4 5700kv combo was actually the original system I/ was looking at in the beginning of this project and after your advice I think I might just pull the trigger and purchase it. Do you have any advice on gearing?
    I cant really comment on the SW4 esc, but I do know that for drag racing you want high amps and the best ESCs for that would be the 1/8 scale power systems like the castle MM2 or MMX.

That SW4 combo would probably do fine. If you want to be competitive in a group then you would probably have to spend more...

Gearing is tricky because you want to find peak speed around 60mph and adjust from there. Tires make a big difference on this also.
    I would probably stick with a near stock gearing and see what it does then adjust from there. I would expect to need good quality gears like Robinson racing, diff locked up, aluminum wheel hexes, and steel axles.

With the tire being 71mm tall
    Differential ratio of 2.71
    5700kv motor
    2s lipo
    I came up with:
    29/73 gears to reach 50mph
    32/73 would be around 56mph
    36/73 would be 63 mph

Same as above but with 3s Lipo
    19/73 = 50mph
    23/73 = 60mph
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 07-01-2019 at 12:15 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    I cant really comment on the SW4 esc, but I do know that for drag racing you want high amps and the best ESCs for that would be the 1/8 scale power systems like the castle MM2 or MMX.

That SW4 combo would probably do fine. If you want to be competitive in a group then you would probably have to spend more...

Gearing is tricky because you want to find peak speed around 60mph and adjust from there. Tires make a big difference on this also.
    I would probably stick with a near stock gearing and see what it does then adjust from there. I would expect to need good quality gears like Robinson racing, diff locked up, aluminum wheel hexes, and steel axles.

With the tire being 71mm tall
    Differential ratio of 2.71
    5700kv motor
    2s lipo
    I came up with:
    29/73 gears to reach 50mph
    32/73 would be around 56mph
    36/73 would be 63 mph

Same as above but with 3s Lipo
    19/73 = 50mph
    23/73 = 60mph
    Thanks for the info, I actually am not building this for being entered into a group, just wanted to build my own awesome looking mini drag car that could beat any of my friends cars on the street, but knowing the gearing will really help me out once I get the motor! Also noted when I looked up the height to make sure it was the same as your measurements, but the Duratrax Bandito mt's are 4.6 inches tall, so that would mess up the speed right?
    Last edited by BuiltJ.R.Tough; 07-01-2019 at 07:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info, I actually am not building this for being entered into a group, just wanted to build my own awesome looking mini drag car that could beat any of my friends cars on the street, but knowing the gearing will really help me out once I get the motor! Also noted when I looked up the height to make sure it was the same as your measurements, but the Duratrax Bandito mt's are 4.6 inches tall, so that would mess up the speed right?
    Yes significantly
    4.6" = 116.84 mm possibly more with some amount of ballooning.

2s LiPo
    20/73 = 57 mph

3s LiPo
    13/73 = 56 mph
    15/73 = 65mph