Any cheaper, more readily available alternative to shock oil?

I'm looking to replace the oil in my shocks, but honestly, I don't want to go all the way to my LHS to pay their sky high prices, and deal with them at all.

All I know is that it's silicone, is there anything that will perform similarly for cheaper at somewhere a little closer(auto parts store, etc.)?

I'm thinking that this is just a shot in the dark, with no luck, but it's worth a try.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Dayton, (the weather stinks here) Ohio Totally useless
    the best "alternative" shock oil that i have ever heard of is peanut butter. just make sure it's not the chunky style!!! LOL!!!

no, really. i am guilty of using a 'temporary' shock oil after i had blown the cap off of one and didn't have any real oil left. i used the closest thing i could think of that had a high silicone content..... tire shine/protectant! unlike what the label stated, there must've been something other than "pure silicone" in it. because it made the diaphram swell up to the point where it wouldn't fit back in the cap after i switched the oil back to normal!!

but, if ya decide to try the peanut butter, let us know how it works out.

D
    MR PIBB AND RED VINES EQUALS CRAZY DELICIOUS!!!...DRIVE IT, BREAK IT! DRIVE IT, BREAK IT! (repeat as needed)Stock T-Maxx, two E-Stampedes,& E-Rustler... I-speed 12T, D5 13x1 flatliner in one pede. p-94 13x2 and a super chicken in the other pede.Airtronics MX-3 FM, NOVAK SS5800 in da rusty!!!

Man, I only have chunky, I think I'd rather at least use something like oil. Might get oily if it spoiled...

Anyone else?

RC Champion
    Unfortunatly the cheepest way to get pure silocone oil is from a hobby shop. I have used veggi oil in a pinch but that quickly ruined the shock. If you have to use an alternative oil use it in an old shock that you are not worried about destroying. Also if it is not pure silocone it may heat up as you drive and change the performance.
    Run Hard, Have Fun, Relax its a hobby.

I figured as much, thanks anyway.

RC Qualifier
    amzoil makes a synthetic fork oil for motorcycles. I wonder if a really light version of that (or similar synthetic fork oil) would work?

You'l want to stay away from petroleum based oils - that's why I was thinking perhaps a pure synthetic might work.
    I'd think some motorcycle shop could even batch out a couple ounces for you if they sell in bulk.

Let us know how it works, if you try something and find it works out for you.
    http://community.webshots.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/cadtek8

RC Qualifier
    Originally posted by Xtreme-d
    the best "alternative" shock oil that i have ever heard of is peanut butter. just make sure it's not the chunky style!!! LOL!!!
    You could use penut butter oil?

RC Racer
    I have a quart of pure silicon oil that is used for copier machines. It works very well in Pede Shocks - it's may be a tad thicker than the stock Pede oil.

RC Qualifier

Doh! I got it!!!

Fishing reel lube!! Abu Garcia makes pure silicone reel lubrication oil and grease - look at your local fishing or sporting good retailer.

I owned a fishing tackle manufacturing business for years, and I fish ALOT - Duh!! Why that escaped me, I can't fathom.
    http://community.webshots.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/cadtek8

RC Qualifier
    Dayton, (the weather stinks here) Ohio Totally useless
    Originally posted by crazyrcer

You could use penut butter oil?
    wouldn't that be the same as 'peanut oil'??? and NO! someone is gonna try this if we keep talking about it!!! LOL!! we could try putting 'olive oil' in our shocks, but that'd just make 'popeye' mad!!!

i think i like the pure synthetic oil idea like CADtech said. i'm thinking mobil-1 20w50!! do ya think synthetic oil will be ok with the seals?

D
    MR PIBB AND RED VINES EQUALS CRAZY DELICIOUS!!!...DRIVE IT, BREAK IT! DRIVE IT, BREAK IT! (repeat as needed)Stock T-Maxx, two E-Stampedes,& E-Rustler... I-speed 12T, D5 13x1 flatliner in one pede. p-94 13x2 and a super chicken in the other pede.Airtronics MX-3 FM, NOVAK SS5800 in da rusty!!!

RC poster
    I just used hair conditioner in mine

The shock was completely bone dry so I had to put in something.

In due time I’m going to get all new shocks anyway (and actual shock oil)