RC Racer

Upgraded Velineon vxl 3s and slipper bearing adapter issues

Upgraded my power to the vxl 3s and read to change the slipper bearing adapter to an aluminum one. In the process I tightened the spring down too far and iím Guessing thatís what ate my spur gear teeth off? I also changed the front drive shafts and center shaft and might have tweaked something to add resistance? Iím going to order another spur gear obviously, but I donít want to smoke another one. Think the spring too compressed locked the clutch up? If so iíll Go back to the plastic one so I can back the nut off further. Are there metal upgrades to the spur gear or would that be best to be plastic and be the part that fails?

RC Racer
    I always recommend a metal spur because it's one less thing to go bad. Tightening the slipper will cause more stress on the driveline and what usually gives out is half shafts. Since you upgraded those I guess the next weakest thing is the spur. Make sure your gear mesh is set properly also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrjelly007 View Post
    I always recommend a metal spur because it's one less thing to go bad. Tightening the slipper will cause more stress on the driveline and what usually gives out is half shafts. Since you upgraded those I guess the next weakest thing is the spur. Make sure your gear mesh is set properly also.

Whatís a good site to pick up a metal gear? I ordered a new assembly just in case I jacked this one up and to have a spare in case I do something stupid again hahahaha

You can lock your slipper clutch and not kill your spur if your mesh is proper. You can also kill a hardened metal spur with a little give in the slipper and bad mesh. Bad mesh strips spurs. It will take a little more abuse than plastic obviously but it will strip eventually if your mesh is off. I lock all my slippers simply because I like them that way. I run the robinson racing gen 3 slipper and spur. It is a pretty good setup. Other people upgrade to the revo slipper and have good luck with that too.

Last edited by nickruger; 07-02-2019 at 06:28 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    You can lock your slipper clutch and not kill your spur if your mesh is proper. You can also kill a hardened metal spur with a little give in the slipper and bad mesh. Bad mesh strips spurs. It will take a little more abuse than plastic obviously but it will strip eventually if your mesh is off. I lock all my slippers simply because I like them that way. I run the robinson racing gen 3 slipper and spur. It is a pretty good setup. Other people upgrade to the revo slipper and have good luck with that too.

I read to put a sheet of paper through it after the fact. First hit it was too high up and spun, so I pushed it in pretty tight and tightened it down

Recommend watching some youtube videos on setting gear mesh. A plastic spur can and will last years when set properly.

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Recommend watching some youtube videos on setting gear mesh. A plastic spur can and will last years when set properly.

You are right. But I still prefer metal because I was running mine on a beach a lot and eating through spur gears. Probably because I wasn't running a gear cover lol but my point still stands that once I switched to a metal spur I never had any problems. Also the gear mesh sounds cool haha.

Quote Originally Posted by calebgilmore View Post
    I read to put a sheet of paper through it after the fact. First hit it was too high up and spun, so I pushed it in pretty tight and tightened it down
    That gets you pretty close. Setting it by sight and sound is the best. With 32 pitch gears its a little harder because there is so little room for error. I agree with Fancy, watch some videos until you're comfortable. I put a finger on the spur and roll it. I look for the ever so slightest tick, like a clock when I roll the spur back and forth and verify by sight that the spur and pinion teeth are as engaged as much as they can be without actually hitting each other. It gets easier the more you do it. Videos definitely help. Takes some practice, especially when you get it perfect and you tighten your mount screw down and it gets thrown off.

Takes some practice, especially when you get it perfect and you tighten your mount screw down and it gets thrown off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Haha, I loath that! You take your time, get it just right, tighten the screw and, wait what!? Really? I have to start over?

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

I am not a fan of a metal spur gear. There are too many other things that can be damaged. Learn how to properly set the gear mesh and forget about it.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post

This^^^ I have a 54t spur that's over 3 years old running 1/8th scale power on 3 and 4s packs. The only reason I took it out was to switch to a 50t. Currently run 20/50(plastic 50t) with a 4074 2150kv. That 54t is living a happy life in my Rustler meshed with a 18t pinion powered by a Velenion 3500kv on 2s and 3s....zero issues.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    This^^^ I have a 54t spur that's over 3 years old running 1/8th scale power on 3 and 4s packs. The only reason I took it out was to switch to a 50t. Currently run 20/50(plastic 50t) with a 4074 2150kv. That 54t is living a happy life in my Rustler meshed with a 18t pinion powered by a Velenion 3500kv on 2s and 3s....zero issues.
    I have a couple that are almost that old too running similar power. Two of my tenth scale trucks that run 4s only, mamba monster x, one has a castle 1515, the other has an arrma 4275 2050kv. Both trucks over 2 years old, still running original plastic spurs. Both trucks do have center diffs which is a little easier on the spur, but still pretty good for longevity.