Thread: Newbie

RC poster

Iím new to rc cars, would you guys recommend a stampede 4x4. If so what upgrades should I put on it. Thanks for any help

If you're looking for your first RC vehicle, want a truck, and are set on Traxxas, personally, I'd suggest the Slash...2WD or 4x4. Just take note that 4WDs require more maintenance than 2WDs. Both are a blast to drive, but they do drive, and handle, differently.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    I recently converted a HCG slash 4x4 vxl to a stampede 4x4 by switching the chassis/radio box, drive shaft, and bumpers. A 2wd rustler jconcepts chevy 1500 fits perfectly on the bare shock towers with small battery hold down posts.

The stampede 4x4 is a hoot to drive, and itís got the ground clearance and short wheelbase to be a decent rock crawler that would hang up a slash with the longer wheel base or any LCG 4wd 1/10 cars from slash like LCG Sl4ah, rustler 4x4, rally, etc.

Thatís the beauty of getting a 4wd 1/10 Traxxas, you can always morph it into something else with a small number of parts to switch.

RC poster
    Go for the stampede 4x4. It was my first RC truck, and I still drive it to this day. As for upgrades, it really depends on your driving style. I'd go for a set of 2.8 Pro Line trenchers for tires. Also, aluminum shock caps are a must if you see yourself bashing with it in the future. It also depends on your battery. If you're gonna be running 3s metal driveshafts are a must. 2s will still eat driveshafts, just not as quickly. Another thing that you can do is drive the truck for a while, see your driving style, and adjust to that. I recommend that you break parts before upgrarding them.

RC Racer
    ^Good call on the trenchers. That and the badlands mx28 (not sure if it’s available in 12mm hex). My P4de runs Tekno axles and on either of the prolines it just bounces off of curbs if you screw up(within reason of course) lol. I swear nose wheelies were a intended feature for P4des on 2.8 prolines and 3s
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 07-08-2019 at 05:39 PM.

RC poster
    If you buy pre mounted pro line tires (be it badlands or trenchers) I believe that come with a thing that you bolt on the wheels and it goes from 17mm to 12mm hex.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedtoast17 View Post
    If you buy pre mounted pro line tires (be it badlands or trenchers) I believe that come with a thing that you bolt on the wheels and it goes from 17mm to 12mm hex.
    You can buy those proline wheels now. Itís not a feature of all of them. Iíd recommend 17mm hexes. 12mm and traction donít mix well.

Somehow builds are never done....