RC poster

New Slash Ultimate is shutting down all the time

I just got my new Slash Ultimate today. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Good thing first: The steering works all the time. Only issue is: The servo makes constantly strange noises in neutral position, but maybe that's normal. My other cars don't do that.

The real problem is, that the red LED on the ESC blinks red all the time. I've tried to reset the transmitter and calibrated it. But I can only drive a few meters at best, sometimes not even that. After that the LED still blinks red and I can't use throttle anymore.

Since I'm new to (really) fast RC cars, I decided to use a NiMH battery pack first. The 8.4 V battery pack was fully charged (9.565 V) using the EZ-Peak plus charger.

Part# of the battery is 2923X (which is also listed as compatible in the manual).

According to the manual this should be the undervoltage protection(?). But as far as I understand it's disabled by default anyway. I'm not sure if the LED is blinking slow or fast since I only know the one speed I see all the time.

Maybe the battery doesn't deliver enough current? But since the LED blinks as soon as the device is powered on I don't think that's the problem. The voltage seems to be fine, too.

Any ideas?

RC Racer
    When you first turn on the esc is it a solid color or a blinking one? If it's a solid color, is it green or red? Green means lipo mode and red means nickle metal mode. If you are running a nickle metal pack you need to disable lipo mode so that low voltage cut off won't come on. From what I remember, you can switch between modes by (with esc off) holding the button until it turns on and then continue holding it until it either makes an ascending or a descending tone. If I'm wrong about anything someone please correct me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thank you for your fast reply!

This solved the issue!

The ESC seemed to be in LiPo mode. I tried to hold the button before, but as soon as the red blinking starts it seems it's already to late for that. The trick was to press and hold the button right after the green LED comes on for a second. Now the LED is solid red and doesn't blink anymore.

Thank you very much!

Now only the scratching noise from the servo remains.

RC Racer
    Glad you got it figured out! I've had servos that would kind of chatter when they were at center position. Didn't seem to affect preformance tho

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk