Kids don't try this at home.

Okay, go ahead. I was just kidding.

What I want to do is to make me a new hull. My hull is over 8 years old, and has been repaired several times. Good repairs, but I'd like something different. A friend of mine gave this hull about 5 years ago, so it's time to put it to good use along with lots of newly installed goodies from OSE.

I want to use all the things we've all learned over the years. I also would like, to show the techniques I use to help minimize any mistakes. I'm sure there are many guys out there that feel a little gun shy about making the necessary cuts when upgrading their hulls. Hopefully, you guys will feel more comfortable about hull repairs and mods when I'm finished with this project.

P.S. Don't be surprised if it takes me a while, because I generally do a little at a time. Usually between after a workout and while I'm waiting for dinner.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

I have been very busy at work lately, so I haven't started on my hull yet, but I have been using that time to think about a new hatch securing system.

A Trick of the Trade

I started on my new Spartan hull the other day, and I will soon show you my progress. First though, I'd like to show you a handy trick when you need to drill a hole that needs to be right on the money.

It's not easy getting holes exact when dealing with RC bodies and hulls due to them having all kinds of angles and curves. Usually, people end up with something like this. An elongated hole. This happens, because (I'll use a 1/4 inch drill bit as my example) people try to do everything in two steps...measure and drill. That's not bad unless your hole is off. If so, then all you can do is elongate it or make a new piece.

The trick I'm showing is to drill a hole in three steps rather than two. First you measure, then you drill a pin size hole (about the size of a number 60 drill bit). Now you can get an exact idea if your hole is in the right place or not. If it is fine. If it isn't, then you have the size of whatever your final drill bit needs to be going around the axis of your pin hole to correct your final holes position. The only time this trick doesn't work is when your project requires that your final hole is the size of a pin hole.

Corrected hole by using pin hole trick.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Installing Second Water Exhaust Port

Part of a dual cooling line mod is the installation of a second water exhaust port. I like one port on each side rater than two ports on one side, or ports on the bottom of the hull. The reason for my madness is, it's a lot easier to see if my ports are working.

First I make a template out of masking tape using the existing stock port holes.

Then I use string to measure where the X axis is on my stock port's holes.

Using the marked string, I measure and place my template on the other side of my boat. For my Y axis marking I measure down from my boat's hull seam.

Before I drill, I'm going to check that my new holes won't interfere with my hull's plastic double-er. Here it is on the stock hole sde of the boat.

Here I am checking everything over using a flashlight.

Next, I use the above (my second reply) drilling trick by drilling a pin holes where I want my final holes. I use a #60 drill bit.
    Once I'm sure my hole positions are correct I finsh drilling with a #8 and # 32 drill bit.

Once my holes are drilled, I use a 1/2" drill bit (by hand) to gently remove any plastic burs from my freshly drilled holes. Let the weight of the bit do the work for you. You don't want your 1/2" drill bit digging into your hole's hole.

Walla, your new holes for your second water exhaust port.

And, walla walla. You're done.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-27-2019 at 03:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to use this to mark out my holes for the second outlet, but the one that concerns me the most is the one at the back coming off the dual intake rudder.

Are you talking about your second hole for your second water tube that will be coming from your rudder's second water inlet?

P.S. It #1, was #2, to #3
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 08-17-2019 at 03:52 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Are you talking about your second hole for your second water tube that will be coming from your rudder's second water inlet?
    Yes, the one at the back of the hull that comes from the rudder for the second inlet through the transom.

I'll be cutting that hole soon, so I'll post pictures.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I'll be cutting that hole soon, so I'll post pictures.
    Perfect, I'm still 10 days to 2 weeks out before my OSE dual rudder shows up so no panic thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Another question regarding the hull, I see they can be purchased seperately in white and was wondering if your just putting the decals on or if you had thoughts on a vinyl wrap, maybe air brushing or even hydro dipping the hull. Pro's and con's to all of the above or just personal preference.

My plans are to do Dukes of Hazard colors with General Lee decals. I think I will probably paint it myself. The factory graphics are just to gaudy for me. I don't know who the Traxxas graphic designer is, but (IMO) he should get a good spanking....not the kind of spanking his wife gives, but real " butt reddening" spanking.

P.S. agents # 14

RC Qualifier
    That would be cool, are you going to install a sound box with the horn sound? that would be even be cooler lol. I'm leaning on getting the plain white and coming up with my own paint scheme in the future. With my wife having a Cricut machine, it makes it eaier to come up with different graphics and ideas.

Nope, no sound box for me. I like the sound my Spartan makes normally.

Sorry I haven't updated here in a while. I've been riding my mini, dirt, and sport bikes; and playing with my other RC stuff. Soon though, our weather will change and I'll want to stay inside more. When that happens, building my new Spartan hull will be the first thing on my list.