RC Enthusiast

Slash 2WD Differential Grease

Just wanted to check the grease goes outside the main gear, and I wanted to know what to put inside the main differential?

RC Qualifier
    silly putty

Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    silly putty
    That's good if you want it limited-slip.

For normal running I use Associated Black Grease. It coats well, stays on, and wipes off easily when performing maintenance. You don't need that much, just a bead right down the middle of the gear; and excess will just get slung into a corner of the transmission.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    That's good if you want it limited-slip.

For normal running I use Associated Black Grease. It coats well, stays on, and wipes off easily when performing maintenance. You don't need that much, just a bead right down the middle of the gear; and excess will just get slung into a corner of the transmission.
    Thanks for that

RC Qualifier
    plumbers putty works good too

Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    plumbers putty works good too
    A spool would be cheaper and better in so many ways over whatever you can think of. But will be the worst possible choice for function.

I use Red"N"Tacky from Lucas Oil products been great for years.

RC poster
    I recently rebuilt the diff in my race Slash, and at the advise of one of the other local racers, used Lucas Sticky red, I did notice improved performance.
    However, I would think that even that thick red grease will eventually get tossed, I just don't know how frequently.
    However, packing my diff with that did make a difference in my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Geiper Racing View Post
    I recently rebuilt the diff in my race Slash, and at the advise of one of the other local racers, used Lucas Sticky red, I did notice improved performance.
    However, I would think that even that thick red grease will eventually get tossed, I just don't know how frequently.
    However, packing my diff with that did make a difference in my truck.
    I hope you are not saying you filled the inside of the diff with grease. Because you are supposed to use silicone diff fluid inside and grease on the outside and just a thin film on the ring and pinion.

RC Qualifier
    @zedorda
    Correct me if Iím wrong, stock diff isnít sealed so if we use silicone oil it will leaks. I am using silicone oil with hot racing differential.
    There are some instructions for sealing stock diff..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I hope you are not saying you filled the inside of the diff with grease. Because you are supposed to use silicone diff fluid inside and grease on the outside and just a thin film on the ring and pinion.
    yes, he packed it and the factory diff is NOT sealed so you can't run silicone oil in it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    UH, yes it is packed with grease.

The stock housing is not sealed and the "fluid" will leak out.

You should try it sometime....

RC Enthusiast
    I use a grease called "grim racer". It's used for marine prop shafts, it has excellent anti-sling, and is for high rpm applications. No problems with it. Everything inside the trans case gets a liberal coating.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    @zedorda
    Correct me if I’m wrong, stock diff isn’t sealed so if we use silicone oil it will leaks. I am using silicone oil with hot racing differential.
    There are some instructions for sealing stock diff..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes you are completely right. I had been posting in the Slash 4x4 section and forgot where i was sorry.