Thread: 3s Lift Off

RC Competitor

3s Lift Off

So I finally grabbed a 3s battery and now Iím having trouble with the front end lifting when I get to about 45mph. I lowered my front shocks down a bit more, put a filler panel on the bottom to seal things off, and tried running without the rear wing on. Any suggestions? Would love to know what kind of ride height others are running for speed runs maybe I need to get lower. Not sure what the deal is I have resized the image 3 times and looks the same every time I preview the post.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyrigs View Post
    So I finally grabbed a 3s battery and now Iím having trouble with the front end lifting when I get to about 45mph. I lowered my front shocks down a bit more, put a filler panel on the bottom to seal things off, and tried running without the rear wing on. Any suggestions? Would love to know what kind of ride height others are running for speed runs maybe I need to get lower. Not sure what the deal is I have resized the image 3 times and looks the same every time I preview the post.

If you have the 2wd version, the car's center of gravity could be offshifted towards the back, which could definitely cause liftoff.

RC Competitor
    It is 2wd. So basically it’s time to start experimenting with weight up front. I don’t plan on keeping it this way would just like to really see 60+mph on the gps to say I did.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyrigs View Post
    It is 2wd. So basically it’s time to start experimenting with weight up front. I don’t plan on keeping it this way would just like to really see 60+mph on the gps to say I did.
    That nice sturdy front bumper is part of your problem, the slope allows air to push the car up more the faster you go.

A common practice among traxxas 2wd junkies is taking an RPM rustler bumper and flip it over to have a more flat front aero piece that still has clearance for some bashing.

Another possibility is to put in stiffer rear springs to keep it from squatting which can help a little too.

Since this is a backslash, might as well try putting way bigger and wider buggy front wing on the top of the shock tower to create additional down force.

What body is that? I tried a few like the redcat one but still looking for something like yours, OP
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 07-09-2019 at 04:13 AM.

That little scoop you have between the front shock tower is acting like a wing at high speed.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    You can play with front wings but they will need an aggressive angle of attack that looks like too much when sitting still on the work bench. Once you are driving under throttle the rear will squat some and you don't want the front wing angle to be neutral or causing lift.
    The easiest method would be to add some weight to the front end. Cheap fishing weights could be a low cost method to test the function. If it then works like you want you can then proceed to make something nice looking.

Just an FYI and my $0.02 if you are wanting to go fast (over 60mph) it will be best to go with 4wd. The biggest issue with the 2wd cars is braking at high speed. All the weigh shifts to the front wheels under breaking and it will just drag the back tires. Most of the time resulting in a crash.

Also tires play a big part in aerodynamics, those tires you have are massive. Look up some RC speed run videos on youtube of guys doing 120mph or more and you can get an idea of what cars they run and the tires are ALWAYS GRP or BSR foams.
    Last edited by LibertyMKiii; 07-09-2019 at 10:15 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post

What body is that? I tried a few like the redcat one but still looking for something like yours, OP
    It’s an Associated RC8b3 pro-line. It just happened to be the cheapest one they had at 9.99 had to trim about an inch off the back right at the shock tower.

RC Racer
    Awesome, thanks! Thatís definitely one of the better buggy bodies for the 2wd slash.

RC Competitor
    Anyone know which GRP tire and compound would be best, and is there a cheaper option for 17mm adapters other than traxxas that are not junk? I understand you get what you pay for not willing to sacrifice to much quality but worth asking.

RC Competitor
    Not sure how accurate this is.

This was on the primes, 3s, 17/54 gears. 3 ounces of weight on the front helped. Still not enough room in this lot need to find a smoother and bigger spot. Going to pick up the cheap ******* tire balancer and give it a try has to be better than nothing right. Tires were hopping violently. Once I figure out what to get I’ll order up some grp tires.

*******?????? Lol yea that one, guess that’s a no no in the land of traxxas.
    Last edited by Jimmyrigs; 07-11-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Many speed runner like the delta plastic full bodied lids. These provide more down force than most even need for 150+mph runs.

https://deltaplastikusa.com/collecti...eed-run-bodies

They are not cheap but you can go down the rabbit hole of hobbycrafting fixing this problem ending up spending more and getting less performance.