RC poster

Slash 4x4 keeps bottoming out.

I went to the track today and my slash 4x4 platinum edition kept hitting the bottom of the chassis when It landes from a jump. I raised and lowered the shocks and still kept bottoming out. Iím using 500 cst silicone shock fluid. The shocks are the after market parts that they put on the platinum edition. Any Thoughts?
    Ty

What springs? The springs hold the weight and absorb the impact. The oil controls how fast the rebound takes place. You want the oil and springs to work together. Too thick of oil and soft springs will cause slow rebound; vise versa, light oil and heavy springs will cause the vehicle to bounce.
    The Super Derecho

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

I always stretch my springs to get the desired performance. It doesn't take long to get them right.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Personally I think the stock springs are just too soft. I put pretty heavy springs on mine and it still manages to bottom out sometimes on relatively small jumps. My truck is heavy and I don't have near a stock setup. I would start with heavier springs. If traxxas doesn't offer heavy enough the losi springs are a much stiffer option. These are the common ones that fit the traxxas gtr shocks, I run the black up front, gold in the rear.
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-fr...sb2961/p157922
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Losi-Spring-S...a86/7012052936

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

One of the arguments I've heard multiple people mention against the GTR shocks is the relatively poor spring selection. Are the Losi springs exactly the same length?

I am leaning towards the GTR's because I've heard only good things in regards to their durability.

RC poster
    Thank you for the info, I’m only 15 and it’s nice when people help. I’ll look at the stiffer springs. I see people at the track that don’t bottom out, very confusing but I like it alot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    while you can stiffen it up, the chassis is designed to hit and absorb/transfer that impact

Quote Originally Posted by braco View Post
    One of the arguments I've heard multiple people mention against the GTR shocks is the relatively poor spring selection. Are the Losi springs exactly the same length?

I am leaning towards the GTR's because I've heard only good things in regards to their durability.
    Honestly I pitched the stock gtr springs, so I can't compare side by side. The only other springs I have are vg racing and the losi springs are considerably longer. I never noticed it to be a problem. The springs don't bunch up or anything and they cycle through the stroke of the shock nice and smooth. I have the vg racing springs on currently because they were on my son's stampede. I just swapped them onto the slash recently because I'm getting it ready to sell. Here is a side by side if the losi and vg racing. I put a rear losi spring on real quick so you could see them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Honestly I pitched the stock gtr springs, so I can't compare side by side. The only other springs I have are vg racing and the losi springs are considerably longer. I never noticed it to be a problem. The springs don't bunch up or anything and they cycle through the stroke of the shock nice and smooth. I have the vg racing springs on currently because they were on my son's stampede. I just swapped them onto the slash recently because I'm getting it ready to sell. Here is a side by side if the losi and vg racing. I put a rear losi spring on real quick so you could see them.

Thanks a lot for this! How did you find the VG spring though? Have you found the right stiffness with their selection?

Thanks a lot for this! How did you find the VG spring though? Have you found the right stiffness with their selection?
    No, they only offer one stiffness. They are supposedly progressive. For me it is way to soft. They were fine on my son's 5 lb stampede 4x4. On an 7-9 lb slash 4x4 there is just no way for me. People really like them, I have no idea how. I will say I like my suspension pretty firm. GTR shocks are pretty good, but the best option by far for me are the HPI D8 shocks. They are hands down the best shocks I've ever ran. You can pretty much run them on any 1/10 scale off road truck and they are a game changer. Currently running them on my pro mt 4x4 that now handles better than most short course trucks out there.

Last edited by nickruger; 07-13-2019 at 08:21 PM.

RC Racer
    For gtr shocks, Try associated part number 91071 and 91077, they are the 13mm front and rear spring kits with 4 weights each. The stiffer ones are plenty stiff for my sl4sh I thought.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    while you can stiffen it up, the chassis is designed to hit and absorb/transfer that impact
    +1. Stiffen it up too much and one negates all the handling benefits from the suspension moving in a controlled fashion.

No, they only offer one stiffness. They are supposedly progressive. For me it is way to soft. They were fine on my son's 5 lb stampede 4x4. On an 7-9 lb slash 4x4 there is just no way for me. People really like them, I have no idea how. I will say I like my suspension pretty firm. GTR shocks are pretty good, but the best option by far for me are the HPI D8 shocks. They are hands down the best shocks I've ever ran. You can pretty much run them on any 1/10 scale off road truck and they are a game changer. Currently running them on my pro mt 4x4 that now handles better than most short course trucks out there.
    I've been looking at D8 shocks as well, but the main problem with them on a Slash 4x4 is the clearance between A-Arms and turnbuckles if I'm not mistaken.

How many spacers do you have to run for everything to operate smoothly?

I've been looking at D8 shocks as well, but the main problem with them on a Slash 4x4 is the clearance between A-Arms and turnbuckles if I'm not mistaken.

How many spacers do you have to run for everything to operate smoothly?
    I just ran some team associated standoffs. There are lots of options for standoffs out there. Depending on what shock towers you are using there are better and worse options.

I just ran some team associated standoffs. There are lots of options for standoffs out there. Depending on what shock towers you are using there are better and worse options.

I've been thinking about running the rear shock tower and rear shocks on the front as well. Either stock or RPM. Not really eager to get aluminum shock towers.

I've been thinking about running the rear shock tower and rear shocks on the front as well. Either stock or RPM. Not really eager to get aluminum shock towers.
    I've been running aluminum shock towers for years. That's the only so called structural thing I added besides carriers and camber links in aluminum. Never really had an I'll effects with them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nickruger, I like your shocks. Here are mine:

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Nickruger, I like your shocks. Here are mine:
    Do you find them to be light years ahead of the GTRs? I thought I was crazy, then I started trying them on other trucks. Great shock.

RC poster
    I’m reading all of your guys messages saying you prefer different types of shocks and I don’t want to buy 4 different Kinds and you guys have more experience with this type of car then I do. I’m racing at a dirt track with jumps 1 to 2 feet tall what would be the type of shocks you guys prefer.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PwcExtreme View Post
    Iím reading all of your guys messages saying you prefer different types of shocks and I donít want to buy 4 different Kinds and you guys have more experience with this type of car then I do. Iím racing at a dirt track with jumps 1 to 2 feet tall what would be the type of shocks you guys prefer.
    Have you read this yet:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...g-on-the-track

Made my Slash racing a lot easier...
    JES

RC Enthusiast
    Like El sob said... i got the idea from him. But ive made soft springs stiffer by stretching them. Works great!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I never had the gtr

Built my slash from nos parts

RC poster
    I’ll try that.
    ty

RC Racer
    I got the Losi springs for my gtr's, and its. jacked up like a 4x4 lol. I already ordered the vg springs.