RC Competitor

driveshafts to go with?

I am soon to start building a Rustler 4x4 with all of the traxxas aluminum upgrade parts and was wondering what driveshafts to purchase. I want the Rustler to be as durable as possible so I don't need to worry about breaking it after hitting big ramps. Also, ( if possible ) I would not like them to be very expensive as this build is already costing way more then planned.

First, I have to ask...you posted this 26min ago, yet, over an hour ago, in the "Slash 4x4, or Rustler 4x4" thread you created several days ago, you said the build is going to have to wait a while. So, what's going on? Why the contradiction?

Second, as already suggested in said other thread, the Tekno M6 is an excellent option. You could also replace the stock driveshafts work the Traxxas CVD driveshafts, as I initially did...although, to slightly lighten my Rusty, I'll now be replacing the Traxxas CVD driveshafts work the Tekno M6 driveshafts. That should answer your question. Either one will do quite well...the Traxxas CVDs are better for bashing, but can still be used for racing; the Tekno M6s are better for reaching, but can also be used for bashing.

You will also want to upgrade your shocks...which was also mentioned in your other thread. The less costly way of going is to just replace the stock plastic Ultra shock Caps with the aluminum caps (the part numbers are listed in the Parts Sheet that came/comes with the vehicle). The more costly, but better, and longer-lasting, option is to completely replace the shocks. Two excellent choices are the Traxxas GTR shocks, or the Pro-Line ProSpec shocks. I have the Pro-Line shocks on one vehicle, and am in the process of putting the Gates on another vehicle. Both have 'pluses' & 'minuses'. The Gates are specifically designed for the Rustler, Slash, Stampede, and other Teachers vehicles...but, they don't come with springs. The Pro-Lines come with springs (tho, you might want to change them to stiffer springs), but you'll need different/additional mounting hardware.

Best suggestion I can make...for driveshafts, for shocks/springs, and for any other upgrades you might consider...is to first research all possible options, narrowing down your choices. Then, if you can't decide, post in the Rustler 4x4 threads, mentioning your possible choices, and see what other people's experiences have been with those options. What works great for one, or a few, person/people could be a horrible option for someone else.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    I am soon to start building a Rustler 4x4 with all of the traxxas aluminum upgrade parts and was wondering what driveshafts to purchase. I want the Rustler to be as durable as possible so I don't need to worry about breaking it after hitting big ramps. Also, ( if possible ) I would not like them to be very expensive as this build is already costing way more then planned.
    Sorry, inexpensive and durable don't go in the same sentence. My go to axles are still MIP X-Duty axles. They have lasted since June 2011 and are still in use on one truck. On another 2012 and those are completely original down to the pins through the axles with absolutely nothing at all done to them. I have been running the Traxxas axles since September or October 2018 and they have been flawless. Neither one is a cheap option.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Most of the aluminum “upgrades” are just bling that ends up making other parts connected to them break quicker when bashing. Bearing carriers , caster blocks and motor mounts are good places for al but other than that places like arms, towers, links, etc are just ways to blow money for vanity.

For someone on a budget, I would really just advise run the car stock and see what breaks and go from there. MIP x duty is I think as good as it gets for driveshafts.

RC Competitor
    Basically the hold up or whatever is that I am 13 and it will take a while as I am trying to save the money for it. So there is really no budget it will just take longer to start building. By a while I mean a few months at the most. As for shocks I have big bores off my old rusty I’m planning to use as I will just use ultra shocks since the old rusty will be a speed runner.
    Last edited by Sharkbait; 07-11-2019 at 02:25 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Most of the aluminum “upgrades” are just bling that ends up making other parts connected to them break quicker when bashing. Bearing carriers , caster blocks and motor mounts are good places for al but other than that places like arms, towers, links, etc are just ways to blow money for vanity.

For someone on a budget, I would really just advise run the car stock and see what breaks and go from there. MIP x duty is I think as good as it gets for driveshafts.
    as I just posted there is no budget just prefer cheaper. As for the aluminum I love the bling and I am only getting bearing carriers and casters. You mentioned motor mount is that worth the purchase?
    Last edited by Sharkbait; 07-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Sorry, inexpensive and durable don't go in the same sentence. My go to axles are still MIP X-Duty axles. They have lasted since June 2011 and are still in use on one truck. On another 2012 and those are completely original down to the pins through the axles with absolutely nothing at all done to them. I have been running the Traxxas axles since September or October 2018 and they have been flawless. Neither one is a cheap option.

I didn’t think it would be cheap

RC Competitor
    As for the MIP driveshafts are part numbers 10130 and 10132 also for the rustler?

For the most part, Rustler 4x4 = Slash 4x4. Compare/contrast the exploded views.
    The Super Derecho