RC Enthusiast

Carpet tires or wheels

Hi,

I have a Slash 4x4 platinum edition. I race on indoor carpet track as shown here https://secure.meetupstatic.com/phot...478504406.jpeg. My car has the original Traxxas tires and I found the car drift when turning at high speed (12mph). Therefore, I thinking I need some special carpet tires. I have some questions I hope you can help me.

1. For Slash 4x4 platinum, can I replace the tire or I have to replace the wheels as well?
    2. Should I replace just the frong steering wheels or all 4 wheels?
    3. What are the best carpet tires?

Thank you very much.

This is an excellent question, and one I'm also interested in any answers for. While I race on an indoor clay off-road track (and hope to soon be racing a USGT car on an outdoor asphalt track), I purchased a 2WD Slash VXL for my step-dad (he's a 100% nOOb where RC is concerned), and it would help if I had some answers for him, as I know he'll have several.

I'm on my way to Vegas, where my parents live. I decided to bring along one of my Rusty 4Xs, so we can go to 702 RC Speedway together for 1-2 days (that's where he'll be going on a regular basis). As an "additional question", I'm curious as to whether he's better off sticking with SCT wheels/tires, or whether 2.8" wheels/tires (the stock size found on the Rustler) might be better for an indoor carpet track? Suggestions?

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    I was going to add this to Razor’s great thread “How to tune your Slash 4x4 for racing on the track”, but I think I’ll share it here in hopes of answering your question:

Thought I’d add my first indoor racing experience…

Our track is carpet in a high school gymnasium. There are 3 little wooden jumps, a 3’ tall table top and a wall climb.
    I had lots of fun the first time out but got lapped so many times! I was using the stock tires and although drifting all corners was really, really, really, really fun, I was not competitive!

I switched to Proline Pinpoint SC carpet pin tires and man! What a difference! It’s almost like Velcro! The trick with these pin tires is to trim the first inside and outside row of pins so they don’t catch when you turn – front and back. I wound up trimming the second outer row on the fronts as I kept rolling over on our “reverse direction” day!

I was very competitive but not consistent as I’m still a beginner. My Slash did well, and I think I will race it again indoors next year. Someone else was racing a Slash in a sea of Teknos and he did really well! So the Slash CAN be competitive.

Here was my setup:

1. See all the upgrades I’ve done noted in Razor’s thread mentioned above.
    2. The newest upgrades I did after the last outdoor race were: Castle Creations Mamba X ESC, CC 3800 kV motor, Savox SW1211SG servo. Later during the indoor season, I upgraded to a Spektrum DX5Pro so used the SR2100 receiver in the Slash which meant I was able to now get 7.5V to the servo to get the faster frame rate; it makes a difference!
    3. To keep the truck low, I put front GTR shocks on all 4 corners with blue springs at the front, pink at the back and 30wt. oil at all 4.
    4. That’s it! The key is to keep your truck low.

But to answer your questions specifically:

1. Replace the entire wheel (save the ones you have as spares).
    2. Replace all 4 wheels.
    3. I know Pro-Line’s website leads you to carpet-specific tires; so they would be a good starting point. Plus there is not lots to pick from, so it should make selecting one easier.

Hope this helps?
    JES

RC Enthusiast
    Hi @jesdoit:

Thanks a lot for you post. It's great to see the tire actually solved the drifting problem. I have a few more questions:

1. When you said " trim the first inside and outside row of pins so they don’t catch when you turn", what do you mean by "catch"?
    2. Proline only has tires. Could you help how to pair the tire with wheels?

Thank you again.

You can pick any wheels you want...as long as the size matches your tires. For example, if you're getting SCT tires (typically 2.2" ID on the outside a & 3" ID on the inside), then you'll need SCT wheels. If you're getting tires & wheels for a Traxxas Rustler, that vehicle's OEM setup uses 2.8" wheels & tires (although a when racing my Rusty 4x4, I use SCT wheels & tires.

Finally, find SCT wheels with a design (such as spoke pattern, wheel color, etc) you like, and, as long as the wheels are standard 2.2"/3" SCT wheels, they'll work with any SCT tires. Then, you get to "enjoy" the fun of gluing the tires to the wheels (any CA glue, including Super Glue, will work).

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gecong View Post
    Hi @jesdoit:

Thanks a lot for you post. It's great to see the tire actually solved the drifting problem. I have a few more questions:

1. When you said " trim the first inside and outside row of pins so they donít catch when you turn", what do you mean by "catch"?
    2. Proline only has tires. Could you help how to pair the tire with wheels?

Thank you again.
    To answer question 1:

When you turn at high speed, especially on carpet with pin tires, your vehicle will not slide, but tip over. Braking and not driving as fast can help lessen this.
    But when you start tipping over, if you trim a row of pins, they will not grip the carpet, hence you should tip over less or be able to "save" it more... Hope this helps?

For question 2:

What Panther said...
    ...and go to the Pro-Line website with a smartphone; you can search by vehicle! This narrows down your options...
    JES

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you all for the help

@jesdoit if possible, can I see a picture about how you make the truck low by "To keep the truck low, I put front GTR shocks on all 4 corners with blue springs at the front, pink at the back and 30wt. oil at all 4."? And the link to these parts?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-22-2019 at 04:22 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor

@jesdoit if possible, can I see a picture about how you make the truck low by "To keep the truck low, I put front GTR shocks on all 4 corners with blue springs at the front, pink at the back and 30wt. oil at all 4."? And the link to these parts?
    Doh! I didn't see this post! I'll see if I can do that tonight; I haven't posted pics here in a loooooong time!
    Is there a way to pm me your e-mail address? I'll send them directly.
    JES

RC Competitor

It’s all coming back to me now!

So I did most of the mods suggested on Razor’s thread “How to tune your Slash 4x4 for racing on the track”, including the tricky one of putting a rear shock tower on the front. You can only imitate my/our setup if you make this important mod.

-The 4 shocks are: GTR Long Hard Anodized Shocks (7461X)
    -I put rear springs on all 4 shocks (Pink 5433; blue 5434)

I’m still working on photos…
    JES

You need to buy Slash 4x4 offset wheels. Don’t buy Traxxas wheels, they have a stupid step down in the middle that nobody else does. Slash 2WD rear wheels are usually the same, but a few models won’t clear the front arms properly on the 4x4 and rub at full lock.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by jesdoit View Post
    It’s all coming back to me now!

So I did most of the mods suggested on Razor’s thread “How to tune your Slash 4x4 for racing on the track”, including the tricky one of putting a rear shock tower on the front. You can only imitate my/our setup if you make this important mod.

-The 4 shocks are: GTR Long Hard Anodized Shocks (7461X)
    -I put rear springs on all 4 shocks (Pink 5433; blue 5434)

I’m still working on photos…
    I did this mode and works well. Also, using the taller shock tower on the front, you "may" want to look into using the 7462X. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7462X

Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    I did this mode and works well. Also, using the taller shock tower on the front, you "may" want to look into using the 7462X. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7462X
    Yes, use 7462X on all 4 corners when using the rear shock tower on the front.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Yes, use 7462X on all 4 corners when using the rear shock tower on the front.
    True for outdoor racing, but the topic here is carpet racing. Using front shocks on all 4 keeps the vehicle low.
    JES

Quote Originally Posted by jesdoit View Post
    True for outdoor racing, but the topic here is carpet racing. Using front shocks on all 4 keeps the vehicle low.
    Ahh, you're right, sorry about that. Never ran my Slash on carpet, but my guess is you should probably stick with the stock front shock tower and then add limiters if necessary.

RC poster
    I race a a decently modded slash 4x4 platinum and the best tire I have found for carpet is the stock tire used on the team assocated sc10. It offers great grip, but not enough grip to cause traction rolls like some of the pin tires. Hereís a link to the tire below. You can also get them premounted on ebay or elsewhere, but that requires you to run the proline protrac suspension arms since the associated wheel offset(and Tekno and I think losi) differ from Traxxas. I also highly recommend the protrac arms. I believe they have been discontinued, but they are great
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...asc9809/p36982