RC Enthusiast

Front Driveshaft Problems -- Binding and Lubrication

Hey All,

Here is the problem:
    I installed the RPM Front Upper and Lower A-Arms last night in the 1/16 E-Revo, and have a problem.

The driveshaft will not go back together smoothly....I have to use an uncomfortable amount of force (I mean, enough that I'm worried I'll bend or break something) to push the outside half of the shaft into the inside half. The truck is covered in dirt, but the problem did not present itself until I installed the new arms.

Now, the front suspension is binding badly. If I bottom-out the truck, it stays down and feels like it "locks" down. The truck even stands up, without any front shocks installed! I think I've figured out that it is probably something which is too long, because the travel is smooth at the bottom of the suspension's range and at the top, but binds in the middle.

After removing the shock tie-rod, and the shocks themselves, and then the steering servo tie-rod, the problem is still there. This just leaves the driveshaft as the likely culprit.

My question is:
    Do the two halves of the driveshaft (as in, the two halves of each shaft extending from the chassis to each wheel) have to be lubed at all? If so, how? Should they "telescope" smoothly (and if they don't, do you have recommendations on what to do to fix it)? Could these be causing my nasty suspension bind?

Thank you all for your help!
    Stampede XL-1
    Stampede VXL
    1/16 Revo Titan 550

RC Qualifier
    The two halves should telescope smoothly, (very little force). The inner and outer part should only go together one way "correctly". You should not have to force them together. Try turning one shaft till the inner and outer splines slide together. The axle yokes "ears" should be the same way on each end, if it doesn't slip together turn one side 180 degrees and try again. If you need to(want to)lube I have used Dry lube spray or spray silicone. Clean them off(just rinse off in water)and no dirt on splines will help with installation.
    The tube half has a notch on the end and the exposed spline has a mark(a dot) on the end to help with alignment of going together "correctly", its been awhile. I just touch the ends together and turn one side till they slide together easy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The two halves should telescope smoothly, (very little force). The inner and outer part should only go together one way "correctly". You should not have to force them together. Try turning one shaft till the inner and outer splines slide together. The axle yokes "ears" should be the same way on each end, if it doesn't slip together turn one side 180 degrees and try again. If you need to(want to)lube I have used Dry lube spray or spray silicone. Clean them off(just rinse off in water)and no dirt on splines will help with installation.
    The tube half has a notch on the end and the exposed spline has a mark(a dot) on the end to help with alignment of going together "correctly", its been awhile. I just touch the ends together and turn one side till they slide together easy.
    I second this.

For suspension binding perhaps something not installed correctly.

Here is a pic of my Merv front end with rpm a arms

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you so much for the replies. Always nice when someone is willing to help out! The picture helped me confirm that everything was installed correctly, and as it turns out, it was just my own idiocy (as usual) that was causing my problem.

I forgot that the driveshafts were keyed, and I had forced mine together because I'm reckless and the "don't force it!" alarms in my head were apparently turned off at the time. When I rebuilt it again, and got the driveshafts together correctly, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks again!
    Stampede XL-1
    Stampede VXL
    1/16 Revo Titan 550

RC Qualifier
    Glad you were able to solve the issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    That's great. Now back to having fun with it