RC poster

not sure what I have done wrong - need very basic help getting wheels to turn please!

Hi. I am new to this. Was trying to change the motor cover on Slash 4x4 Ultimate. Got very confused and gave up, but now the car won't go! Holding it in my hand it acts completely normally and the wheels turn fast, but as soon as I put it on the floor the motor runs but wheels don't turn. I am sure it is something I did with the central drive shaft / slipper clutch, but I gave tried everything and I cannot fix it. Any ideas?? TIA

Are you talking about this:

If that is all you touched then you shouldn't have issues. If you started playing with other screws then either you loosened the pinion or the slipper clutch.
    The Super Derecho

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

First thing to check is if the grub screw on your pinion gear is tightened. Make sure the screw is on the flat part of the motor shaft. Also make sure that your gear mesh is correct.

If that is not it, check that your slipper gear is adjusted properly.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    I think I made sure my gear mesh is correct and I *think* my slipper gear is adjusted correctly (although I could be wrong on both). Can you explain what is meant my ensuring the grub screw is on the flat part of the motor shaft? ��

The pinion gear is the small one that attaches to the shaft that comes out of the motor. This gear is held in place by a small set screw (AKA: grub screw). If you look at the motor output shaft, you will see that there is a flat part that runs down the length of the output shaft, the set screw should be lined up with this flat part and tightened down firmly.

To ensure that the set screw stays in place, it is a good idea to use blue thread locker on the set screw. You just need a small drop on the threads of the set screw before the set screw is screwed in to the pinion gear. Allow the thread lock to cure over night before running your truck.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Watch this video. You don't have to remove the motor & motor plate, but see what he is talking about regarding the flat pArt of the motor shaft.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein