RC Competitor

4s lip is that fit rustler 4x4

Hey everyone. Do any of you all know what 4s lipos will fit the rustler 4x4? Iíve tried to use the googles to look up lipos that fit the battery tray dimensions but nothing comes up but a few vids on people running their rustlers on 4s, no mention of what brand battery or what not. Iíll keep looking, and if you do know what 4s lipo will fit let me know please

That might be because Traxxas designed the Rustler 4x4 to handle only up to 3S. I'm NOT suggesting you use...or even try...a 4S pack, but if you do, you'll have to figure out your own way to strap the battery in. Also, the ESC is only rated for up to 3S packs, so, running 4S could a potentially, fry the ESC.

Additionally, don't forget that, if you use 4S (or larger), just remember that you've voided your warranty. Some people don't care about voiding the warranty, while others do care. I'm not taking one side, or the other - just letting you know the possibilities.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    The vxl version at least comes with the 42mm tall battery hold down bar (the flat one) that fits the 5000mah 4s battery traxxas makes, I use it with mine modified with the UDR esc and motor.

RC Competitor
    I should have clarified in my first post, I have since replaced the stock system and have a 3660 2400kv hobbystar motor and a hobbywing esc that both can do 4s. I just want to find a reliable and trust worthy brand of lipo batteries that donít cost an arm and a leg that will fit. Has anyone tried the brand Awanfi? Amazon has a 4s 5000mah Awanfi battery for 49, comes with a strap and a voltage alarm. Iím just looking to get a bit more power out of my rustler without going into 1/8th scale motors, Iíll save that for my e revo project build

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I should have clarified in my first post, I have since replaced the stock system and have a 3660 2400kv hobbystar motor and a hobbywing esc that both can do 4s. I just want to find a reliable and trust worthy brand of lipo batteries that donít cost an arm and a leg that will fit. Has anyone tried the brand Awanfi? Amazon has a 4s 5000mah Awanfi battery for 49, comes with a strap and a voltage alarm. Iím just looking to get a bit more power out of my rustler without going into 1/8th scale motors, Iíll save that for my e revo project build
    Got ya...that makes more sense. So, that being said, you might want to check out SMC batteries, and compare thew dimensions of their 4S packs against the max the Rustler 4x4 fits. SMC makes very high-quality batteries, at very reasonable prices. Since they're the manufacturer, and they sell direct (ie. no "middle man"), that helps to keep costs down. Additionally, you can order (almost) all of their batteries with your choice of connector (including the 2st-gen Traxxas connector), or inboard 5mm bullet connector-ready.

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I’ll check them out!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    That might be because Traxxas designed the Rustler 4x4 to handle only up to 3S.
    I know you are probably talking about the motor and ESC, but after running a vxl6s with the 2200kv motor for a while on 4s and seeing how much the a arms flex fore and aft under torque especially under braking, Iím inclined to say building the R4stler up on 4s or higher could be beyond Traxxasí design intent for the suspension and such. On 4s, under braking the front arms REALLy visibly move on mid to high traction surface.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I know you are probably talking about the motor and ESC, but after running a vxl6s with the 2200kv motor for a while on 4s and seeing how much the a arms flex fore and aft under torque especially under braking, I’m inclined to say building the R4stler up on 4s or higher could be beyond Traxxas’ design intent for the suspension and such. On 4s, under braking the front arms REALLy visibly move on mid to high traction surface.
    Which, to me, would be just another reason to not run 4S on the Rustler (or Slash, or Stampede, as they all share the same A-arms) 4x4. If the A-arms are bending that much, even when using only a 2200kv motor...and the Traxxas A-arms are much stronger than the RPM A-arms...than maybe, just maybe, 4S should be avoided on these vehicles. Heck, while I have a single 3S battery, I rarely use it, as the 2S, with my ESC/motor combo, as well as my gearing, is plenty fast enough for the track.

RC Racer
    Agreed. I can see why Tekno tells people to not run RPM arms with their m6 axles.

People always gear up but one way I found to really get some hustle out of these 4wd traxxas is actually gear down. I put a 9t pinion in my stock one with the vxl3s and it flat out hoons, and turns into a pavement drift machine on demand.

RC poster
    I'm using one of these bad boys.

14.8V 4500mAh 45C 4S : 33*44*135mm

Atm running 3670 Gool RC 2850kv motor and Hobbywing EZRun 150a with this battery

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273376562025

Side note I am surprised more people are not using cheapo motors I have for a few years and never had a failure. Wouldn't use the cheap esc's on the other hand.
    Last edited by MXPilot; 07-13-2019 at 02:35 AM.

RC Competitor
    I appreciate all of your thoughts on doing 4s, I just wanted a little more power I will try 4s and see how it goes and, if I end up breaking something, I’ll just stock up on some parts lol I didn’t know that the a arms would flex on 4s power, but I’ll see how it goes. Thanks Mxpilot for the battery recommendation, I’ll take a look!