Thread: I'm Screwed

RC Competitor

I'm Screwed

What I mean by that is I have a lot of stripped screws which I know is my fault. But I would like to know if any of you have a special way of getting them out I'm doing a rebuild with some hopups and I have found these little buggers.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    What I mean by that is I have a lot of stripped screws which I know is my fault. But I would like to know if any of you have a special way of getting them out I'm doing a rebuild with some hopups and I have found these little buggers.
    Cut a slot across the head with a dremel so you can get a flat head screw driver on it. If you don't have a dremel, borrow one, buy one from harbor freight for 22$. It will save you more than once.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Spend the money on mip screwdrivers. Yeah, they are expensive, but what strips the majority of screws out is cheap or worn out tools. I've had stripped grub screws in metal driveshafts, from cheap well used duratrax tools, and a brand new mip thorp screwdriver ended up getting them out.
    If the screws are in aluminum and have threadlock on them, heat it up with a soldering iron to realease the locking agent, then use a new tool on it.
    The dremel method previously mentioned isnt a bad idea if needed. Good to have a dremel anyways.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I second the MIP screw drivers. I used to strip screws all the time. Haven’t stripped any since buying MIP tools.

RC Competitor
    Thank you I'll look up both the Dremel and the mip screwdrivers.

RC Competitor
    For sure, investing in some quality tools will help to keep the problem from happening in the first place, but once you've stripped 'em, i'd suggest going with some Left-Hand-Twist drill bits. NOTE: I've not done this on any RC Car fasteners, but with every other stripped head/Broken bolt I've come across, once ya start drilling into the fastener, it backs right out.

They used to be hard to find, but it appears that Amazon has lots of options. Good Luck --BillJ

Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    For sure, investing in some quality tools will help to keep the problem from happening in the first place, but once you've stripped 'em, i'd suggest going with some Left-Hand-Twist drill bits. NOTE: I've not done this on any RC Car fasteners, but with every other stripped head/Broken bolt I've come across, once ya start drilling into the fastener, it backs right out.

They used to be hard to find, but it appears that Amazon has lots of options. Good Luck --BillJ
    You are right, I too never tried them on rc, but in other applications they do work quite well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Sorry for the late response. Thank you for the help on this guys I went to home depot and picked up one of those kits that get out stripped screws. To prevent this in the future I might invest in a set of Mip screwdrivers.

The smallest ezout works if you still have a head to the screw, which it seems like you do. However, they are typically kind of fat, so depending on the screw, you may have a hard time getting to it. In that case, your forced to resort to drilling the head off, then removing the part it held and removing the stump with pliers.

MIP's are great tools. Been using them for 7+ years. I have had to touch the tips up a couple times in that 7 years to take off half a mm or so to keep them sharp. But they are far more durable than Hudy, OFNA, Dynamite, cheapo allens. I recently snapped my 2.5MM bit as I had it in my driver and knocked it off my bench. Shattered the bit in half.

Was a sad day... lol!

I've also recently tried some PB-Swiss bits. They seem to fit the traxxas and mcmaster screws I buy really well.
    https://shop.pbtools.us/PB-E6-210-1-...-Bits_c222.htm

I have the pbswiss in my pit bag and the MIP bits on my workbench. I haven't put a lot of time on the pbswiss bits yet, but they do seem to be nice and hard steel that should last a very long time. Was $27.63 shipped for those bits, they charge $7 for shipping.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Spend the money on mip screwdrivers. Yeah, they are expensive, but what strips the majority of screws out is cheap or worn out tools. I've had stripped grub screws in metal driveshafts, from cheap well used duratrax tools, and a brand new mip thorp screwdriver ended up getting them out.
    If the screws are in aluminum and have threadlock on them, heat it up with a soldering iron to realease the locking agent, then use a new tool on it.
    The dremel method previously mentioned isnt a bad idea if needed. Good to have a dremel anyways.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    do this ^

MIP 9502 set will cover most of your needs