Thread: Quick question.

RC Competitor

Quick question.

My lhs has a sportsman class for noob racers and I'm finally ready to give it a shot. I'm fairly confident in my driving abilities to be competitive in this class. If all goes well I will eventually move up to the higher sc classes. Do you guys think with what I would describe as slightly above average driving abilities I could be somewhat competitive with a 2wd vxl slash with the right set up against say guys with associated, or hpi scts with similar setups or is the slash to heavy?
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

Lower level racing, sure.

Those other trucks have the advantage of having good track manners out of the box, but if you take the time to learn how to tune your suspension, you'll be competitive. But, there will be a point where you'll have to start throwing money and parts into your truck to keep it up with those other trucks.

One of the biggest keys to RC racing is getting all of the practice you can on the track and learning your truck. At the lower levels, consistency wins out over speed any day of the week. The VXL system will actually faster than many trucks out there, but that speed will throw you into the boards instead of allowing you to stay on the track. When practicing, start out slow, and just concentrate on staying on the track, and just roll over the jumps. Once you are able to be consistent for several laps, add some speed and try to hit the single jumps.

If the rules allow, recommend changing the tires out of whatever are the tires of choice for that track.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info. Any suggestions for what may possibly be needed to be competitive with those others? I would like to prove to the local guys that Traxxas CAN be competitive with them and possibly even out run or out perform them. I have an lcg but I'm not sure if I will be able to use it at my lhs. I have adjustable shocks. A lot of the other stuff is cnc machined aluminum from strc so I know I'll need to get some lighter weight strong parts. I'm thinking proline protrac but again I don't know if I can use it at the lhs. Maybe in the modified 2wd sc class
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

At the lower levels it all about tuning, driving ability and consistency. When you start competing in the non-newbie classes you'll have to start throwing money at your truck to get it to perform like the race-bred trucks you are going against. Yes, a Slash can compete with these other trucks, but you'll have to invest three times the tuning effort, and four times the money to get it there. I have done this before, and there is a great amount of satisfaction to see the Traxxas bashers' jaws drop when they find out they just got beat by a Slash. Honestly, as fun as this truck was and the amount of RC knowledge I got from it, if I were to start racing SCTs again, I would go with a race-bred truck.

JMHO...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    If you are running on a tight technical carpet track then a Slash will probably not be competitive.You just wont have the tuning options, chassis rigidity, diff tuning, shock tuning, suspension setup etc; Also rear motor on tight carpet is not the way to go.
    trinity 6cell packs - 5 cells for the price of 6!

RC Competitor
    Thanks everyone for your information. The track I will be running on is actually a pretty wide, indoor clay and dirt mix that has some good grip but not so much that the truck will traction roll. I ran 2 packs through the truck on a day when there was no racing going on so I have a good idea of what to expect. I feel like I have a decent set up for it, I just need to figure out what tires to run. I'm thinking of either using the proline rally tires or the proline Hoosier tires. The race director said that they are both legal but can't remember anyone using them. Going to take both of them mounted on the split six beadlocks and a set of the stock slash tires also on split six beadlocks and see which ones work best for me.
    Slash 2wd
    Chase9Elliott
    Brett"theJet"Hearn

I used to race my LCG Slash on hard packed clay outdoors and had a lot of success with AKA Enduros on the rear and Proline Caliber on the front but the fastest guys will have already worked out the best tires for your track so I would check out what they're using.

If you're running the stock (high centre of gravity) chassis then the single best thing you could do to improve its track performance is switch to a LCG chassis. The next best thing is probably swapping the the progressive shock springs for linear ones to limit body roll.

With the right modifications you might be surprised just how competitive a LCG Slash can be at club level. I spent quite a bit creating one many years ago but for me it was totally worth it - the stunned look on the faces on other drivers was absolutely priceless!
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Enthusiast
    i have found a slash with lcg chassis for a good price and want to start racing would it be a good purchase for racing with a few setup changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx. D View Post
    i have found a slash with lcg chassis for a good price and want to start racing would it be a good purchase for racing with a few setup changes?
    I would suggest something else to start racing. The Slash is more a novelty for expert racers to challenge themselves with or for someone who wants to race but just as a fun experience and not a serious competitive endeavor. It just costs a whole lot more money and takes extensive tuning experience to win with a Slash consistently.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I would suggest something else to start racing. The Slash is more a novelty for expert racers to challenge themselves with or for someone who wants to race but just as a fun experience and not a serious competitive endeavor. It just costs a whole lot more money and takes extensive tuning experience to win with a Slash consistently.
    Ok thank you Iíll buy a ae kit and have it ready for next summer