Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    190

    2255 Servo with different ESC

    Looking for someone smarter than me on this .

    So the 2255 Traxxas servo is rated at 400oz @ 6v. Right now Iím running this with the Traxxas BEC.

    My question is if I upgrade to brushless and get an ESC that has an internal BEC that could handle the 6.0 is an external BEC even needed? The only reason I could think is if it worked the receiver too much, but thatís rated at 6v...

    This all reminds me of when I put my 1230sg in my E Revo 2.0 and was going to run my Mamba monster at 7.4, but realized
    It would have fried my TQI receiver. It seems like Traxxas made this 2255 servo perfect for not using an external BEC as long as your ESC can handle it..

    Any thoughts? Sorry if itís all a bunch of gibberish

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,593
    In general most, not all esc have a weak bec.the newer castles come with a stronger bec(able to supply more amps).
    A high torque servo even at 6v
    Will usually pull more amps under load than the stock bec can supply.
    That is why the external bec is used.
    You can power just the servo at higher voltage by using a bypass harness.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    Looking for someone smarter than me on this .

    So the 2255 Traxxas servo is rated at 400oz @ 6v. Right now Iím running this with the Traxxas BEC.

    My question is if I upgrade to brushless and get an ESC that has an internal BEC that could handle the 6.0 is an external BEC even needed? The only reason I could think is if it worked the receiver too much, but thatís rated at 6v...

    This all reminds me of when I put my 1230sg in my E Revo 2.0 and was going to run my Mamba monster at 7.4, but realized
    It would have fried my TQI receiver. It seems like Traxxas made this 2255 servo perfect for not using an external BEC as long as your ESC can handle it..

    Any thoughts? Sorry if itís all a bunch of gibberish
    I run it off a Mamba X with no issues at all.
    All depends on the ESC and internal bec ratings

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by MODC View Post
    I run it off a Mamba X with no issues at all.
    All depends on the ESC and internal bec ratings

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Yes, but I found out even if youíre ESCís internal BEC can handle it, if youíre receiver is rated at 6.0v and you go higher (7.4) youíll fry your receiver.

    So it sounds like Iím good if I do a Mamba X with no external BEC and the TQI? Thx!

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    Yes, but I found out even if youíre ESCís internal BEC can handle it, if youíre receiver is rated at 6.0v and you go higher (7.4) youíll fry your receiver.

    So it sounds like Iím good if I do a Mamba X with no external BEC and the TQI? Thx!
    At 6.0v and TQi I believe your ok, but no higher. I'm running a specktrum reciever so can't speak from personal experience.

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,560
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoney82186 View Post
    Yes, but I found out even if youíre ESCís internal BEC can handle it, if youíre receiver is rated at 6.0v and you go higher (7.4) youíll fry your receiver.

    So it sounds like Iím good if I do a Mamba X with no external BEC and the TQI? Thx!
    100%

    The MambaX has an 8 amp BEC, which is more that enough amperage to power your truck, so no external BEC is needed.

    As stated above, the stock RX will only handle 6VDC, and will fry if you try to run it higher (been there, done that).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    190
    Thanks guys!

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    543
    Ive always used a Holmes Hobbies RX Bypass Adapter whenever Ive installed an external BEC for a steering servo.....

    Using the Slash as an example, but same principle - watch from around 3:10...

    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •