Bulletproof Basher Slash

Hello everybody!

I picked up this used Slash 4x4 for a steal. It's been run only a couple of times, never on a LiPo. It is a bone stock, vulgaris Slash at the moment. HCG model, I believe it has been bought in 2011.

I haven't really been into the hobby for quite some time, and now the Slash has sparked my interest back. The bug has bitten again.

I'm not on the quest for crazy top speed and 6S power. I want to build a "bulletproof" basher Slash which runs on 2S-4S. I think 3S is optimal for the weight and size of a Slash. I rarely run on the street, and mainly bash in the loose dirt , on offroad bike jumps.

I've already researched the forum quite a bit. Also, I have 2 friends who have Slash 4x4's, so I was somewhat well informed about which parts need beefing up.

This is my first purchase:

1) King Headz Motor Mount - TRX6860T
    2) Tekno Big Bone Center Driveshaft and Outdrives - TKR6855
    3) Robinson Racing GEN3 Slipper Unit - RRPC7854
    4) Robinson Racing 13t Pinion - RRPC8713
    5) Pro-Line Badlands MX SC - PRO10156-32
    6) Traxxas Aluminum Caster blocks - TRA6832R
    7) Traxxas Aluminum Rear Carriers - TRA1952A
    8) RPM Caster Blocks (as a spare) & Spindle Blocks - RPM 73592
    9) RPM A-arms front and rear - RPM 80702
    10) RPM Front Bumper & Skid Plate - RPM 80022
    11) RPM Rear Bumper - RPM 80122
    12) Traxxas Aluminum Shock caps - TRA3767X (until I upgrade to some better shocks)

After some more reading, I am debating if I should install the Robinson Racing slipper unit. It does make sense what some of the guys on here are saying, which is just leave the plastic spur. I'd appreciate if someone has experience with RR GEN3.

Also, I'm debating on which shocks to go with. Now it's between Traxxas GTR's and D8 shocks.

At some point I would like to go MIP X-duty for the axles. (although some have had negative experiences recently, I'd also really like to hear opinions about that).

I will also be putting in an Ace DS1015 servo.

This is the plan for now. Let's see how this rig ends up looking.
    Last edited by braco; 07-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by braco View Post
    Hello everybody!

I picked up this used Slash 4x4 for a steal. It's been run only a couple of times, never on a LiPo. It is a bone stock, vulgaris Slash at the moment. HCG model, I believe it has been bought in 2011.

I haven't really been into the hobby for quite some time, and now the Slash has sparked my interest back. The bug has bitten again.

I'm not on the quest for crazy top speed and 6S power. I want to build a "bulletproof" basher Slash which runs on 2S-4S. I think 3S is optimal for the weight and size of a Slash. I rarely run on the street, and mainly bash in the loose dirt , on offroad bike jumps.

I've already researched the forum quite a bit. Also, I have 2 friends who have Slash 4x4's, so I was somewhat well informed about which parts need beefing up.

12) Traxxas Aluminum Shock caps - TRA3767X (until I upgrade to some better shocks)

After some more reading, I am debating if I should install the Robinson Racing slipper unit. It does make sense what some of the guys on here are saying, which is just leave the plastic spur. I'd appreciate if someone has experience with RR GEN3.

Also, I'm debating on which shocks to go with. Now it's between Traxxas GTR's and D8 shocks.

At some point I would like to go MIP X-duty for the axles. (although some have had negative experiences recently, I'd also really like to hear opinions about that).

I would stray away from RPM a arms. “Bullet proof” slash usually implies weight. The rpm a arms like to bend under pressure.

I would just go with GTR shocks. Sure the D8 springs might be more heavy duty, but for what? Also, very experienced members have spoken out about how they do not fit correctly despite popular belief. To add they are discontinued and they are difficult to come across. Lastly it’s just a pain and takes modifications to fit. The GTR are drop in.

The RR gen 3 slipper is a bit over kill but I love it. The gears are difficult to strip but not impossible. Having incorrect mesh will mess up any gears not just plastic. If you maintain correct meshing you don’t need the hardened gears. However the unit is huge and much larger than the stock and is an exceptional upgrade. You don’t have to worry about pads or burning it out much. But make sure it is tightened enough.

MIPS are truly great. Make sure to get the newest models. They recently changed part numbers. As long as you use locktite and grease they should be great. Also regular maintenance is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ati View Post
    I would stray away from RPM a arms. “Bullet proof” slash usually implies weight. The rpm a arms like to bend under pressure.

I would just go with GTR shocks. Sure the D8 springs might be more heavy duty, but for what? Also, very experienced members have spoken out about how they do not fit correctly despite popular belief. To add they are discontinued and they are difficult to come across. Lastly it’s just a pain and takes modifications to fit. The GTR are drop in.

The RR gen 3 slipper is a bit over kill but I love it. The gears are difficult to strip but not impossible. Having incorrect mesh will mess up any gears not just plastic. If you maintain correct meshing you don’t need the hardened gears. However the unit is huge and much larger than the stock and is an exceptional upgrade. You don’t have to worry about pads or burning it out much. But make sure it is tightened enough.

MIPS are truly great. Make sure to get the newest models. They recently changed part numbers. As long as you use locktite and grease they should be great. Also regular maintenance is needed.

Thanks for your input!

I've had a lot of luck with RPM arms on my other models. And a couple of my friends have had great luck with RPM arms on their Slash 4x4's. I'm going to give them a try. Not until I break one of the stock ones

Yes, I'm leaning towards the GTR's, and honestly think I'm going to go for them. Again, one of my friends has them on his Slash and they really take a beating. I'm more concerned about durability compared to ride quality.

Regarding the RR Gen3, I'm debating on installing it because of the feedback of some other members. They reported exploded diffs and output shafts after they installed RR Gen3. Each driveline will have a weak link. Might be better for that to be a spur gear compared to the diffs.

What do you guys think about the Revo clutch mod vs RR Gen3?

Thank you for the MIP advice, I'll make sure to double check.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for your input!

I've had a lot of luck with RPM arms on my other models. And a couple of my friends have had great luck with RPM arms on their Slash 4x4's. I'm going to give them a try. Not until I break one of the stock ones

Yes, I'm leaning towards the GTR's, and honestly think I'm going to go for them. Again, one of my friends has them on his Slash and they really take a beating. I'm more concerned about durability compared to ride quality.

Regarding the RR Gen3, I'm debating on installing it because of the feedback of some other members. They reported exploded diffs and output shafts after they installed RR Gen3. Each driveline will have a weak link. Might be better for that to be a spur gear compared to the diffs.

What do you guys think about the Revo clutch mod vs RR Gen3?

Thank you for the MIP advice, I'll make sure to double check.

D8s are of course “beefier” but GTR shocks are also very strong.

Revo mod should be fine. I’ve never had a problem with my gen 3 but I have XO-1 diffs in place.

If you aren't after the best possible handling truck than GTRs are a great choice. They are readily available, cheap to rebuild and they are durable. The only reason the D8 shock gets brought up is because they are better. They are 16mm shocks compared to 13mm on the GTR. It's not just the D8s, you could fit any good race bred 16mm shock on the slash and it would be a giant improvement. If your just bashing you will be really happy with the GTR shocks. I have multiple vehicles that use them so it's pretty nice having multiple rebuild kits on hand and I can rebuild them with my eyes closed. If you aren't running big power I would tighten down the stock slipper and run the thing. I have always had the rr gen 3 unit, so I don't know that its neccessary. Now that I'm a little more seasoned in the hobby I don't know that it is, especially since I pretty much run it locked up. Slash is the only thing besides my revo 3.3 that even uses one, everything else I have runs center diffs. Your list is on the right track, the only thing I see is you getting those MIP axles a lot sooner than you were planning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    If you aren't after the best possible handling truck than GTRs are a great choice. They are readily available, cheap to rebuild and they are durable. The only reason the D8 shock gets brought up is because they are better. They are 16mm shocks compared to 13mm on the GTR. It's not just the D8s, you could fit any good race bred 16mm shock on the slash and it would be a giant improvement. If your just bashing you will be really happy with the GTR shocks. I have multiple vehicles that use them so it's pretty nice having multiple rebuild kits on hand and I can rebuild them with my eyes closed. If you aren't running big power I would tighten down the stock slipper and run the thing. I have always had the rr gen 3 unit, so I don't know that its neccessary. Now that I'm a little more seasoned in the hobby I don't know that it is, especially since I pretty much run it locked up. Slash is the only thing besides my revo 3.3 that even uses one, everything else I have runs center diffs. Your list is on the right track, the only thing I see is you getting those MIP axles a lot sooner than you were planning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice! Seeing what kind of abuse the GTR's took, I think I'm going to opt for them.

I understand that everyone has the same issue, which are the axles. I just want to find out how much/little it takes for those to pop.

RC poster
    Hello everybody!

Hi,

If you replace the center driveshaft you should also replace the front and rear driveshafts.
    The Teknos work fine in my slash 4x4

Gesendet von meinem AGS2-W09 mit Tapatalk