RC Enthusiast

Exclamation Need some ideas on what to do next

Hey guys, first post on this site and first time rc owner.
    I'm looking for ideas on what to upgrade on my Rustler 4x4 VXL.

Current upgrades are:
    GTR Shocks with VG racing springs
    Aluminum caster blocks
    Aluminum steering blocks
    Aluminum carriers/stub axle

Is there anything else I should do to it?

Many look at different tires, aluminum motor mount, center shaft, axle shafts, motor, ESC, servo, etc.

It begs the question: what are you planning on doing with it? Most will say run until something breaks which I'm in the same boat. Aside from being all stock, I've changed out the motor mount to an aluminum, the slipper to the Revo plate and T-Maxx brake hex, fans on both ESC and motor and changed the rear diff cup to XO-1/ERBE style.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Many look at different tires, aluminum motor mount, center shaft, axle shafts, motor, ESC, servo, etc.

It begs the question: what are you planning on doing with it? Most will say run until something breaks which I'm in the same boat. Aside from being all stock, I've changed out the motor mount to an aluminum, the slipper to the Revo plate and T-Maxx brake hex, fans on both ESC and motor and changed the rear diff cup to XO-1/ERBE style.
    Mostly tearing up some dirt pits, they were used for quads and dirt bikes until they got closed to motor vehicles. Maybe hit the beach as well, I'm only like 20 miles or so away.

In addition to the upgrades you've already done (although I'm running Losi springs), I've replaced the stock turnbuckles with titanium turnbuckles from Lunsford, the stock slipper with a Robinson Racing Slipper Unit (and a hardened steel pinion gear, to match), and the stock servo with a a Spektrum servo, as well as adding sway bars front & rear. Coming soon, I'll be replacing the ESC with a Hobbywing, and the motor with a Tekin.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Better servo & maybe sways. I'd also suggest either Stampede front shock guards or a TBone front bumper to give you better coverage up front. The Stampede parts were $8 and took about 2 minutes to install, I think they are worth it for bashers.

If cooling is a problem I'd address that too (it is for me in Florida).

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    In addition to the upgrades you've already done (although I'm running Losi springs), I've replaced the stock turnbuckles with titanium turnbuckles from Lunsford, the stock slipper with a Robinson Racing Slipper Unit (and a hardened steel pinion gear, to match), and the stock servo with a a Spektrum servo, as well as adding sway bars front & rear. Coming soon, I'll be replacing the ESC with a Hobbywing, and the motor with a Tekin.
    Will the RR slipper unit for the slash 4x4 fit the rustler 4x4 vxl?

I just tore up the plastic spur gear. I was thinking of getting the 54T slash slipper unit with an 11t and 17t pinion gears. If you could maybe link it that'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by dllnwtsn View Post
    Will the RR slipper unit for the slash 4x4 fit the rustler 4x4 vxl?

I just tore up the plastic spur gear. I was thinking of getting the 54T slash slipper unit with an 11t and 17t pinion gears. If you could maybe link it that'd be great.
    For the drivetrain, the Slash 4x4 VXL, Rustler 4x4 VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL use almost all the same parts (the center driveshafts not included in that statement). As such, almost all drivetrain parts are compatible with all three vehicles. Just to give you an idea, my Rusty had parts "designated" for any combination of these three, and I haven't had any problems.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    For the drivetrain, the Slash 4x4 VXL, Rustler 4x4 VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL use almost all the same parts (the center driveshafts not included in that statement). As such, almost all drivetrain parts are compatible with all three vehicles. Just to give you an idea, my Rusty had parts "designated" for any combination of these three, and I haven't had any problems.

I ordered the RR slipper unit and an extra hard high carbon 11t pinion, just waiting on those and my VG springs to get here Friday so I can put it back together.

Now I've got to wait for the Lunsford turnbuckles to be in stock...

Also, are the MIP X-Duty drive kits worth it?

For the Lunsford turnbuckles, I'd suggest not only checking Lunsford's own website, but also AMain. on occasion, I've discovered one being out of stock, while the other had in-stock. Just an idea.

RC Enthusiast
    Found a set from RCBoyz on ebay. They'll be here before the 22nd.

RC Enthusiast
    What servo should I use? Spektrum 6280 or 6290? If I upgrade the servo, is there anything else I'll need to go with it?

I goofed..my apologies. I'm not using a Spectrum servo in my Rustler (I realized this earlier today, when I disassembled my Rusty to dye the chassis pan black...see my post in the "What did you do with your Rustler 4x4 today?" thread).

Anyway, my Rusty has a Hitec servo, as does my TLR 8ight-XE. I have Spektrum servos in my TLR 22 5.0 SR, as well as my XRAY T4 (2019).

RC Enthusiast
    I goofed..my apologies. I'm not using a Spectrum servo in my Rustler (I realized this earlier today, when I disassembled my Rusty to dye the chassis pan black...see my post in the "What did you do with your Rustler 4x4 today?" thread).

Anyway, my Rusty has a Hitec servo, as does my TLR 8ight-XE. I have Spektrum servos in my TLR 22 5.0 SR, as well as my XRAY T4 (2019).

Would the traxxas 400 servo be any good?

RC Enthusiast
    VG racing springs will be here today, RR slipper unit will be here tomorrow, titanium turnbuckles will be here Monday.

Not certain on the servo yet, the Traxxas 400 is fairly priced and pretty sweet. Any ideas on models other than the 400?

RC Enthusiast
    What's your servo budget? I just spent a week deliberating on what to buy, I ended up with an Alturn EVO P-2 for $62 - I had to force myself not to keep upping the budget since there are some really nice looking ones around the $100 mark (MKS HBL550, Protek 160 for example). I wanted to get an aluminum case and brushless motor if at all possible and keep the 25T spline.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
    What's your servo budget? I just spent a week deliberating on what to buy, I ended up with an Alturn EVO P-2 for $62 - I had to force myself not to keep upping the budget since there are some really nice looking ones around the $100 mark (MKS HBL550, Protek 160 for example). I wanted to get an aluminum case and brushless motor if at all possible and keep the 25T spline.
    About $100-$125 tops. The Spektrum ones I was looking at are $145.

Needs to be waterproof and small enough to replace the stock 2075 traxxas one I have.

Need some ideas on what to do next

How about just drive it and get to know it.

After a while, you will know what you need to be competitive your track with your driving style.
    Don't forget to talk with the fast guys on your specific track to get pointers.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Need some ideas on what to do next

How about just drive it and get to know it.

After a while, you will know what you need to be competitive your track with your driving style.
    Don't forget to talk with the fast guys on your specific track to get pointers.

Have fun!
    I don't race, closest place is like 75 miles away. I have a few buddies who get together and we mess around with them. I just want to be able to rip around without breaking parts lol.

RC Enthusiast
    Broke my rear output yoke.

Will the MIP X-Duty (#18140 front and #18150 rear) driveshafts fit the Rusty?

The arms, links and shafts are the same between the Slash 4x4 and Rustler 4x4. So if it fits the Slash...
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The arms, links and shafts are the same between the Slash 4x4 and Rustler 4x4. So if it fits the Slash...
    Thanks. Placing that order now.

RC Enthusiast
    if you are thinking tires, I have been very impressed with badlands. awesome off roading, and when we were at the dunes before I switched to my paddles on my 2x4 slash, I was again quite impressed with how they did in sand.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie-slashdad View Post
    if you are thinking tires, I have been very impressed with badlands. awesome off roading, and when we were at the dunes before I switched to my paddles on my 2x4 slash, I was again quite impressed with how they did in sand.
    I've got the Badlands in my "cart" lol.

Just ordered a Hot Racing sway bar kit and the MIP X-Duty driveshafts.

Still trying to figure out which servo to get. Kinda set on the Mamba X motor/esc combo, but I like the MKS servo and the Spektrum one.

RC Enthusiast
    Sway bars and driveshafts will be here on the 24th-26th. Super excited, put the turnbuckles on yesterday and stripped out all the old driveshafts. Now I just wait on products.

I don't really think there is much more to upgrade outside of the motor/esc/servo, and tires. But those Talon EXTs are ****ing sweet.