RC Competitor

Can someone school me in foams?

Hello

I've been doing RC stuff for over 15 years now, but my first on-road (4-tec 2.0) vehicle will be arriving today. I plan on dropping a spare VXL system I have lying around into it first thing.

I'm not at all familiar with foams (outside of in the context for crawling) in any capacity. Are they preferred over rubber tires? Where's a good place to search for/buy them? How do some foams differ from others? Basically any info to help a car noob out would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not a ton of help but... I have a GT with the VXL system. I bought it used and it came with Contact foams as well as the stock tires. I geared it up with the speed gears and threw a 3s pack in it. It flat out flies and handles great with the foams. Tried the stock stuff for giggles....almost undriveable.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Contact foams are fine, cheap, and decent. They get torn up quick, so depending on your driving habits will determine your tire budget. Same philosophy of standard tires apply, harder will last longer and grab less, softer will hook up better and wear quicker.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    I just got a set of 26 and 30mm BSR foams, haven't used them yet. I'll report back. The car is hard to drive on 2S with the stock tires and un-drivable on 3S. Hoping the foams cure that.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Contact foams are fine, cheap, and decent. They get torn up quick, so depending on your driving habits will determine your tire budget. Same philosophy of standard tires apply, harder will last longer and grab less, softer will hook up better and wear quicker.

I threw my VXL in it last night along with the included taller pinion and took it to a nearby, freshly paved parking lot with a fresh 3S pack. Even with the stock tires, that thing freaking screamed.

After about 40 minutes, I noticed a loss of power and took it in. That motor was so freaking hot. I couldn't even touch the underside of the chassis. I hope I didn't damage the motor. I'm going to hate to do it, but I can't help but feel like I'm going to have to put a few holes in the windshields for air flow.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by . . . . . . . . . . View Post
    I threw my VXL in it last night along with the included taller pinion and took it to a nearby, freshly paved parking lot with a fresh 3S pack. Even with the stock tires, that thing freaking screamed.

After about 40 minutes, I noticed a loss of power and took it in. That motor was so freaking hot. I couldn't even touch the underside of the chassis. I hope I didn't damage the motor. I'm going to hate to do it, but I can't help but feel like I'm going to have to put a few holes in the windshields for air flow.
    The VXL motor and ESC will heat up easy.
    I added a heatsink with fan and + one extra heatsink on my motor (the heatsinks are not very wide) to keep the temp low enough.
    There's also a fan on my ESC.
    You need to check the temps.

RC Competitor
    Would you mind sharing which heatsink/fan you're using? I've looked at a number of them, but I question how well they'll fit.

RC Competitor
    I use:
    - a Integy T8635BLUE T2 (heatsink with fan)
    - a Integy heat sink 2700 Black 5 fin

It's a bit fidling to use both, but it works for me.

There are many other options.

RC Qualifier
    I second the Integy motor fans!

Also, the foams gave 10 times the traction. However, after one pack the rears are visibly smaller (worn down) then the front.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    I second the Integy motor fans!

Also, the foams gave 10 times the traction. However, after one pack the rears are visibly smaller (worn down) then the front.
    I ordered the Integy fan last night. I didn't pull the trigger on foams yet, but I was debating going with a slightly harder compound in the rear just for the longevity.

This being my first on road car and having nothing to compare them to, I thought the stock GT tires gripped pretty good (even with the VXL system on a 3S in there). Granted, I had the TSM knob set to about 10:00. I'm really curious to see the difference foams make.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wish I would have seen this sooner, you should get ***ans, or YR fans. Sooooo much better than integy

RC Racer
    I ordered an ESC and Motor fan for all 4 of my vxl kits as soon as I bought the kit. I also keep a laser temp gun in my backpack so I can check electronics and gears/bearings during runs or at battery changes.

Great info on the foams, thanks. I have been wanting to try some for my on road slasher to see how they compare with bandito, road rage, street fighter, and grp I use right now.

RC Qualifier
    I cant remember now the exact specs on the setup now that it has been some time, but I had some aluminum wider wheel hex in the rear to allow clearance on wider contact foams and standard size up front. the 4tec 2.0's short wheelbase it helped keep it from spinning out. You could give it full throttle and it just flew! Would have made a great drag car.
    (had a tp 4040 cm and mamba monster X esc.)