RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 project! Need some suggestions!

Hey guys! I'm not new to hobby rc, but I'm new to building my own! The other day I got handed a bone stock 4x4 slash. Made a list of missing/broken parts. Hopped on Amazon and ordered them! I got the following: STRC aluminium motor plate, TRAXXAS aluminum drive shaft, TRAXXAS receiver box. For the heart of this machine I ordered the max10 SCT ESC with the 3660SL 4600KV EZRUN motor. I'm excited to put these parts together and take her for a rip.

Any suggestions for what gearing I should be using? Still had the stock talons on it but eventually thinking about moving to some sort of trenchers.

RC Enthusiast
    my son bought badlands to replace the trenchers he had. if you will be off road only I would go badlands no contest in my novice opinion.

Hard to say. I would start with the stock gearing. Get some baselines and go from there. Hobbywing says to keep the operating temps under 212f on the motor. Most people will tell you that's way too hot, but if the manufacturer says that's fine, I don't see why it wouldn't be. I make everything run pretty hot so I might not be the best person to ask. That motor is only rated for 2s, is that what you are planning on running?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I was thinking about putting a 3s in there but that motor isnt rated for that like you said. I had a gearing chart somewhere but I must've lost it, I have it set up to run a 13 tooth pinion and the stock spur can't remember off the top of my head what pitch or tooth it is. Could I possibly go down to a 12t pinion?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBasher01 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking about putting a 3s in there but that motor isnt rated for that like you said. I had a gearing chart somewhere but I must've lost it, I have it set up to run a 13 tooth pinion and the stock spur can't remember off the top of my head what pitch or tooth it is. Could I possibly go down to a 12t pinion?
    I'm pretty sure the 13/54 is stock. Pitch is 32, you could definitely go down to a 12 tooth pinion. It won't hurt anything. Only way to know what's going to work is to try it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk