RC Racer

2sp to single speed

So i have been running my K10 truggy style (started life as a tactical unit)
    I removed the 2sp and it is now a single speed transmission. My current issue is that some thing in transmission is causing my front drive shaft to heat up very hot and i cleaned it up and regressed everything. Bearing are still smooth. So can anyone help explain why im noticing a hot front drive shaft?
    Mesh is set best as it can be with the stock motor motor. Running stock gearing. Holmes hobbies 550 21T TM On 3s 11.1V motor stays really cool. Pumpkin gears stay cool. I do a lot on 15km hikes with the truck on flat ballast atv/snowmobile trails nothing really challenging for the truck. Even when i do scale style comps i don't seem to have heat issues as its a slower pace than my hiking speed.
    Running SSD metal drive shafts front and rear. And heavier Gmade SR02 beadlocks with pitbull rock beasts xl 1.9's. And ssd brass portal covers. Can't find anything binding up.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
    Traxxas 1/10 Summit, TRX4 Tactical
    -Marc Gill

Not sure if this applies but are the cv joints in the drive shaft in sync.
    On some other rigs I have if they are out of sync it causes a vibration
    That is sometimes noticable as a shaking when driving at pace but not when going slow
    May not apply but it is odd that just the front shaft gets warm.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Not sure if this applies but are the cv joints in the drive shaft in sync.
    On some other rigs I have if they are out of sync it causes a vibration
    That is sometimes noticable as a shaking when driving at pace but not when going slow
    May not apply but it is odd that just the front shaft gets warm.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    I had it lined up best i can but i will try realigning everything. The rear doesn't get warm which is what confuse me

-Marc Gill

RC Racer
    So today i realign the drive shaft in the front and still gets warm. And i was testing at the campsite. Beach picture.
    August 4th is my last scale style comp CTC then im replacing all the bearing in the truck and the grease will all be cleaned and replaced with a marine grease. And going back to the 2sp. I honestly don't know what more i can do to help this situation.

Last edited by Schs2013; 07-30-2019 at 09:12 PM.
    -Marc Gill

That is odd.something is causing the heat but what?Why only the front?Its gonna bug me till I know why.something would have to get pretty hot to transfer the heat to the shaft.is it rubbing on something?mine rubs a bit on the trans case.I am running a after market shaft with some wear in the joints,it allows it to shift enough to rub a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Not much i could do from the campsite. But i wondering what it is myself.

-Marc Gill

RC Racer
    So went to a local hobby shop for help with this front drive shaft heating up problem.
    The drive shaft itself was rubbing the transmission case causing the problem and i didn't somehow see that. Little bit of time later the guy returns from the back after sanding and front shaft a few mm its just warm but not hot which is a huge difference.

-Marc Gill

Quote Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
    So went to a local hobby shop for help with this front drive shaft heating up problem.
    The drive shaft itself was rubbing the transmission case causing the problem and i didn't somehow see that. Little bit of time later the guy returns from the back after sanding and front shaft a few mm its just warm but not hot which is a huge difference.

Exellent

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried