RC Competitor

Cadtle Sidewinder 8th ESC with 2200kv motor upgrade.

Has anyone replaced their VXL system with the Castle Sidewinder 8th ESC and motor combo (2200kv) for their 2wd Rustler? I'm looking at this:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/castle-...roducts/383999

If so, how was it and what mods did you have to make, if any, for it to fit?
    I want something that will let me run my truck on Trenchers or Badlands on grass without getting too hot.

TIA.
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That will do the trick, youíll need axles, 17mm conversion, a tranny case that will accept that motor size. Iíd go with the FLM super diff. It runs 4x4 diff gears(get a set of XO-1 diff gears. 48 pitch gears probably wonít hold up. I went to mod1 when running big power.
    Not trying to over step, but going with a big motor, requires big money. So maybe take a step back and ask evaluate your intentions for the car, you canít just drop a big motor in and expect it to last long. You couldnít get that motor on the stock tranny without cutting the back of it off.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Competitor
    Gripdog, just the info I was hoping for - thank you!

My rustler already has pretty much all the upgrades so would my axles (I think from the Stampede?) suffice? I haven't thought about the engine size so I'm presuming my upgraded aluminium tranny would be redundant? I forget the brand but it wasn't cheap!
    Finally, what's the 17mm conversion for? It's been so long since I've been in to it that I've forgot so much!

Thanks again.
    Rustler VXL

Both of these rigs run the the SW8th 2200:

I'll share some more pics below, however, I completely agree with GripDog.

These are FLM super chassis'd stampedes. I've run them on 2-4s. The nice thing about a big motor in the back is the massive traction on loose surface. These are an absolute hotrod on 4s able to yank wheelies at will busting butt around a loose surface track. However, these rcs were not designed to take the abuse of this kind of torque.

I've experimented with different tire/wheel sizes because of damage control. I used to use 3.8 badlands but it was just too much torgue and strain on the entire suspension and drivetrain. I've had better luck with less damage using the 2.8 badlands but still expect to bend front axles (with 4+ batt packs) at the minimum assuming no heavy crashes.

I haven't tried the new FLM tranny/super-diff. If you do go big power, take Grips advise on that tranny/diff setup as this will eliminate ONE of the week links in the system.

The rustler has a shorter wheelbase than these P8des (with the extended FLM chassis) and I would recommend you get a different 1/10th scale esc/motor. You can still overpower your rc and stay in cool temps all day with a bunch of other 1/10th scale esc/motor-combos...search that out. IF you want to talk more about the SW1/8th let me know and I'll share what I know.
    MTFBWY

RC Competitor
    Synnergy - thank you for the reply.
    It seems the Castle 2200kv combo is perfect for me but might cost a lot more than anticipated with other component upgrades. I also liked how that set up came in cheaper than the stock Velineon!
    Because I found the stock Velineon system getting very hot when running on grass, id rather upgrade to a system that works much better on this surface. Are there any 1/10th scale esc/motor combos that you'd recommend that would be a quality upgrade and will run at cooler temps that will fin to my current set up? I'd upload pics but this URL malarkey is confusing me!

Thanks again!
    Rustler VXL