Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about an X-Max

Hello, I'm pretty new to Traxxas...almost two weeks now!
    Initially, I couldn't decide between the 1/16th E-Revo (I couldn't find a vxl version anywhere so it's brushed.) and the 1/10 (Which I think is more likely a 1/8th scale.), so I bought both! I got them home and got them all set up, but kept watching Youtube videos of the Rustler 4x4 VXL...so, I went to the LHS the next day and picked one of those up too!
    A friend and I ran the crap out of them all for over an hour. It was a complete blast!

Now, I've been watching videos of the X-Max and am intrigued.
    I'm a bit afraid it that is too big though.

Although I have a 3/4 ton pick up and a Durango, I tend to only drive my Charger. The box I bought to transport the cars in just barely fits in my trunk(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-35...2167/205053257), so the X-Max would have to remain uncased and most likey in the back seat...probably folded down.

FWIW, my favorite out of the three I have at the moment is the Rustler 4x4 vxl. Now, don't get me wrong, the E-Revo is awesome, but I do have trouble keeping it upright.

Given this info, what would your suggestions be on picking up the Max?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I can say my X-Maxx fits it the trunk of my Maxima. Itís a truck made to get dirty, so inside the car wonít be a first choice. It is not as easy as any of your others to transport. That being said, itís next level fun and performance, all of my other RCís have taken somewhat of a backseat to it since the build.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Enthusiast
    I have 2 xmaxx 8s a notorious and a kraton. Love the xmaxx.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Hello, I'm pretty new to Traxxas...almost two weeks now!
    Initially, I couldn't decide between the 1/16th E-Revo (I couldn't find a vxl version anywhere so it's brushed.) and the 1/10 (Which I think is more likely a 1/8th scale.), so I bought both! I got them home and got them all set up, but kept watching Youtube videos of the Rustler 4x4 VXL...so, I went to the LHS the next day and picked one of those up too!
    A friend and I ran the crap out of them all for over an hour. It was a complete blast!

Now, I've been watching videos of the X-Max and am intrigued.
    I'm a bit afraid it that is too big though.

Although I have a 3/4 ton pick up and a Durango, I tend to only drive my Charger. The box I bought to transport the cars in just barely fits in my trunk(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-35...2167/205053257), so the X-Max would have to remain uncased and most likey in the back seat...probably folded down.

FWIW, my favorite out of the three I have at the moment is the Rustler 4x4 vxl. Now, don't get me wrong, the E-Revo is awesome, but I do have trouble keeping it upright.

Given this info, what would your suggestions be on picking up the Max?
    If you want it, isn't it as simple as just taking your truck?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

Thinking about an X-Max

I would NOT hesitate on getting a x maxx. I have one and love it! Once out of the box itíll fit in the trunk no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    If you decide to buy one hit me up,might wanna sell mine it’s slightly used but lots of upgrades..
    "AVENGED SEVENFOLD "

Hmmm...You guys are making it tough to resist!

As for fitting in the trunk, I'm sure it would fit by itself, but since the others are already going to be there it won't fit with them...something has to be in the back seat.

The truck really isn't an option because it's a 77 club cab longbed with a 400cuin, so it's a beast and eats gas...good for Home Depot runs though.

The car is a 19 Charger Scat Pack... since getting it, I just hate NOT driving it.

Grrr....decisions, decisions!

RC Qualifier
    I donít see where itís a hard decision lol.

RC Racer
    One of my favorite trucks! I highly recommend.
    ---Greg---

I appreciate all the encouragement for the truck. Anyone also have an E-revo 2.0 or Rustler 4x4 VXL?
    How would you rate the differences and similarities?

Between the three I already have, I cannot say any two of them take up the same space usage-wise. They all seem to have their own niche...which is good.

The other issue is that I kinda went nuts on Prime day as well...
    Last edited by USMC1984; 07-18-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PATS4LIFE View Post
    If you decide to buy one hit me up,might wanna sell mine it’s slightly used but lots of upgrades..
    I appreciate the offer, but I prefer to buy new and support my local hobby store...they've been good to me. I already had a steering servo issue with the E-revo and a gear issue with the mini-E. The shop fixed both, no charge.

RC Enthusiast
    X-Maxx fits just fine in the trunk of my 2011 mustang. It's a bit easier without the body as that adds a fair bit of height. A quick google search suggests your Charger's trunk is larger than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post
    X-Maxx fits just fine in the trunk of my 2011 mustang. It's a bit easier without the body as that adds a fair bit of height. A quick google search suggests your Charger's trunk is larger than mine.
    Like I said, it would fit if it were by itself, but the trunk already will have this box https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-35...2167/205053257 with the other three cars, batteries and radios in it.

RC Qualifier
    Like everyone else stated above way to much fun to not have an Xmaxx lol just saying. I stick mine in a heavy duty construction garbage bag with a twist tie and throw it in the back seat when I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Like everyone else stated above way to much fun to not have an Xmaxx lol just saying. I stick mine in a heavy duty construction garbage bag with a twist tie and throw it in the back seat when I have to.
    That's a good idea.

I think I'm going to let my wallet cool down a bit though. Three cars (Plus accessories.) inside of a few days and Prime Day definitely made my credit card get kinda warm!

One thing I ordered was the Ocusync FPV set and DJI goggles. I have a Mavic 2 pro so the goggles are for that but the Ocusync kit is going to get placed in one of the cars so I can FPV it as well.

So far, the most likely candidate is the Rustler as I have issues keeping the E-Revo upright. I also want to mount one of my Insta360 One X cameras to it as soon as I can snag a protective case for it.

Eventually, I want to set up one car for long range FPV. I am sure I'll need to use a third party radio and receiver though.

Will that be an issue with the Max since it's got all those telemetry sensors?

RC Qualifier
    That's a good idea.

I think I'm going to let my wallet cool down a bit though. Three cars (Plus accessories.) inside of a few days and Prime Day definitely made my credit card get kinda warm!

One thing I ordered was the Ocusync FPV set and DJI goggles. I have a Mavic 2 pro so the goggles are for that but the Ocusync kit is going to get placed in one of the cars so I can FPV it as well.

So far, the most likely candidate is the Rustler as I have issues keeping the E-Revo upright. I also want to mount one of my Insta360 One X cameras to it as soon as I can snag a protective case for it.

Eventually, I want to set up one car for long range FPV. I am sure I'll need to use a third party radio and receiver though.

Will that be an issue with the Max since it's got all those telemetry sensors?
    It's really easy to get carried away buying rigs or upgrading but it's one hobby that has so much WOW factor it's hard not to. FPV is pretty cool in the speed run video's I've seen but not sure on third party tx or rx's and compatibility with the Xmaxx sensors. I get about a 1000 ft give or take on the locations we run with stock radios which gets us in enough trouble lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    It's really easy to get carried away buying rigs or upgrading but it's one hobby that has so much WOW factor it's hard not to.

Ugh! I know! Combine R/C's with my photography/video hobby and money goes POOf!

I've really been reinvigorated with the photo/video thing lately with the aquiring of the 360 cameras. 360 videos are a game changer for me as they let me capture everything then later be the director and choose the direction the shot will be seen from.

Two years ago I took my '16 Charger R/T to the drag strip and had 6 action cameras pointed in as many directions as possible. Still, I missed a lot of action. This year I took my new '19 SP Charger to the dragstrip with ONE 360 camera on the back window and one GoPro monted on my front facia at the lowest point. The 360 got every and anything I could want. The Go Pro got the extreme low road shot.

I bought a Mavic 2 Pro drone and have mounted the 360 to the bottom of it and have gotten some excellent footage from the air. I bought the cars to get low ground footage initially but honestly, the cars are so darn fun I've been distracted from the video stuff! It's okay though as I haven't a way to protect the 360 camera yet and their lenses scratch SUPER easily, cost $108 and month to have fixed.

This is why the Xmax is a tough decision...not just the transportation, but also the amount of money I've been spending lately...plus, I'm also infatuated with the TRX's and the Summit!...So, there's that!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I appreciate the offer, but I prefer to buy new and support my local hobby store...they've been good to me. I already had a steering servo issue with the E-revo and a gear issue with the mini-E. The shop fixed both, no charge.
    Iím with you there, Iíd never buy someone elseís project. No offenses Pats

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I’m with you there, I’d never buy someone else’s project. No offenses Pats

There's that, plus I'm not much of a modifier. I tend to replace broken stock with new stock but if something breaks frequently I'll replace with 3rd party at some point. I do the same with my real car too...100% showroom stock right down to the air filter.

UPDATE!

Well, I went into a local hobby store that I just discovered near me to look at the X-Max and the TRX.

THAT was my first mistake!

They had both on display outside the boxes...both the X-Max and the TRX Defender caught my eye.
    They were both so beautiful and so opposite in what they did. Neither really overlapped too much with the other cars I already have except maybe the E-revo 2.0/Xmax.

Tough decision for sure!

I browsed around a bit and started filling my arms with extra bodies, stickers, paints and a couple cool car work stands.

Hobby clerk and I start talking about the cars I already have, blah blah blah...asks if I want to go in back and see what colors are available in each vehicle. We get back there and there's a red Defender and one of each color of X-Max. The Rock and Roll X-max really catches my eye, but so did that Defender!

Long story...longer...I got...

BOTH!

Thanks to you guys for helping not be able to pass on the X-Max! LOL

Ought to be a fun weekend!

RC poster
    I have had my xmax for about 8- 9 months. Recently I have been stripping out the rear end differential spur gear, does anybody have any ideas as to why this keeps happening within 30 minutes of running it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Majist View Post
    I have had my xmax for about 8- 9 months. Recently I have been stripping out the rear end differential spur gear, does anybody have any ideas as to why this keeps happening within 30 minutes of running it.
    I would be checking your bearings and replace if needed or repack them. Are you using the self-righting? Some seem to get away with using it but I personally wouldn't.

RC Qualifier
    UPDATE!

Well, I went into a local hobby store that I just discovered near me to look at the X-Max and the TRX.

THAT was my first mistake!

They had both on display outside the boxes...both the X-Max and the TRX Defender caught my eye.
    They were both so beautiful and so opposite in what they did. Neither really overlapped too much with the other cars I already have except maybe the E-revo 2.0/Xmax.

Tough decision for sure!

I browsed around a bit and started filling my arms with extra bodies, stickers, paints and a couple cool car work stands.

Hobby clerk and I start talking about the cars I already have, blah blah blah...asks if I want to go in back and see what colors are available in each vehicle. We get back there and there's a red Defender and one of each color of X-Max. The Rock and Roll X-max really catches my eye, but so did that Defender!

Long story...longer...I got...

BOTH!

Thanks to you guys for helping not be able to pass on the X-Max! LOL

Ought to be a fun weekend!
    This is way to funny lol in a good way, I don't own the TRX but the Xmaxx is awesome congrats.

RC Qualifier
    Iím pretty sure that credit card is more that warm I bet itís on fire lol! Thatís so awesome youíll have a blast!

From what I read this problem is most often related to worn or broken diff housing. Sometimes it can be cause by a broken rear bulk head. Most likely though where your bearing sits in the rear diff is worn, or like RainDawg said, your bearings are just shot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nightflier x4.6 View Post
    I’m pretty sure that credit card is more that warm I bet it’s on fire lol! That’s so awesome you’ll have a blast!

I warned the clerk that I wasn't responsible for damage to his equipment or register if my card exploded! ...He laughed, I laughed, the fire cheif arrived...

Oh, sure ...rain on my parade!

RC Qualifier
    Just the fire chief what about the fire truck and ambulance? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nightflier x4.6 View Post
    Just the fire chief what about the fire truck and ambulance? Lol

LOL, they were putting away the hoses.

Long story...longer...I got...BOTH!
    Don't stop there. I see a XO-1 and a Spartan in your future. (lol)
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Majist and USMC1984 View Post
    All machines occasionally wear parts out. That's just the way it is. Nine months of trouble free playing is good. However, now after 9 months of good operation you're having a problem, because you're blowing gears every 30 minutes. That's of course is bad, and not normal.

Here's what's going on, and what you can do to correct your problem. Your Xmaxx motor pin positioning system has 9 months of wear on it, and is now sloppier than when you first bought your Xmaxx new. I'm afraid, metal pins seated in plastic wears faster than metal pins seated in metal.

Even at that, the Xmaxx (IMO) shouldn't come stock with a motor pin positioning system. It should come with a industry standard aluminum sliding motor mount. Change your Xmaxx motor pin positioning system over to a aluminum sliding motor mount, manually mesh your gears properly, and you'll correct your problem.

P.S. Semper Fi marine. USMC 1974-1979, USMC-R 1979-1984 (O3)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-20-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Don't stop there. I see a XO-1 and a Spartan in your future. (lol)
    XO-1...I like it! But the skill level 10 says NO WAY! Heck, I'm not even so sure about the X-Maxx's level 6.

Not really into boats, so no Spartan. How would I upright it if I turned it? Now I need a Jet-ski or boat! LOL...just not going there! My garage is full...

Is there a cure for the Traxxas addiction?
    6 cars in two weeks?

...I have issues!

While we're at it, can I run the 2869 batteries from my E-Revo in the X-Maxx?

XO-1...I like it! But the skill level 10 says NO WAY! Heck, I'm not even so sure about the X-Maxx's level 6.
    That's if you set it up to do 100 miles per hour. If you use it right out of the box it's the same skill level as an 8s Xmaxx.

Is there a cure for the Traxxas addiction?
    Yes, but you need a hot cutie to do it with. (lol)

This is my XO-1, and it's set up for 60 miles per hour. They're a lot of fun.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-20-2019 at 01:27 PM.

That's if you set it up to do 100 miles per hour. If you use it right out of the box it's the same skill level as an 8s Xmaxx.

Yes, but you need a hot cutie to do it with. (lol)

This is my XO-1, and it's set up for 60 miles per hour. They're a lot of fun.

Oh great ! I can't tell if that's a Corvette or Viper...I think vette, but for a few years both cars looked very much alike. Anyway, I'm a big MOPAR guy and I could see that being a Viper!

Before that though, the Kyosho '69 Charger and SRT Challenger are calling my name. I was told that Kyosho was coming out with a '70 something 'Cuda soon. If I would have seen that it would have come home last night too!

As for the hot cutie...at this point in my life, I doubt it! I'm kinda done due to the attitude most single women have now-a-days. The women my age all look like Aunt Bee and still yack on about what all THEY deserve and never even talk about what they have to offer. I couldn't even make it past a first meet with any of them lately! I have a seriously low tolerance for drama.

If you have a good one, do what you have to to keep her! As for me...well, I have my toys! LOL

The women my age all look like Aunt Bee.
    You're lucky! I wish the women around here looked as good as Aunt Bee. She's a slim trim bikini model compared to what runs around here. I always thank Goodness for being married before I came to live here. I'm not saying that the women around here are fat or anything, but 98% of them have 6 nipples on each breasticle and say "moo" a lot. Our women sure ain't kidding when they put "Cow Girl" bumper stickers on their cars, that's for darn sure.

As far as their attitudes being bad, a lot of women's attitudes are driven by our governments "Empowerment of Women," and our government's interference in domestic affairs. Unfortunately, these women get away with this crap, because a lot of men don't think with the right part of their bodies.

Until a lot more men start acting like good, strong, and decent men (and not like spineless worms) women's attitudes won't change. Sorry for the slight rant, but I'm afraid I'm not very in touch with my feminine side (I don't have a feminine side), and I'm not one for apologizing to our PC society for being the head of my household. Thanks for listening (lol) I mean reading.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-21-2019 at 03:58 AM.

You're lucky! I wish the women around here looked as good as Aunt Bee. She's a slim trim bikini model compared to what runs around here. I always thank Goodness for being married before I came to live here. I'm not saying that the women around here are fat or anything, but 98% of them have 6 nipples on each breasticle and say "moo" a lot. Our women sure ain't kidding when they put "Cow Girl" bumper stickers on their cars, that's for darn sure.

As far as their attitudes being bad, a lot of women's attitudes are driven by our governments "Empowerment of Women," and our government's interference in domestic affairs. Unfortunately, these women get away with this crap, because a lot of men don't think with the right part of their bodies.

Until a lot more men start acting like good, strong, and decent men (and not like spineless worms) women's attitudes won't change. Sorry for the slight rant, but I'm afraid I'm not very in touch with my feminine side (I don't have a feminine side), and I'm not one for apologizing to our PC society for being the head of my household. Thanks for listening (lol) I mean reading.
    LOL...my thoughts exactly! As for the whole "woke" thing....One movie I wish they would redo with a woman in the place of the man who did it originally is Mr. Mom! Imagine a career women being pushed out of the workplace by a minority and having to learn how to keep house and kids!

Hey, at least your cows say moo, here the vacas say muuu!

Well, I'm heading to my friend's place in the Springs (130 miles away.) in a few hours to run cars and drones...plus I get a nice road trip in the Charger! It should be a good day!

Hopefully he likes his birthday present...a new Rustler 4x4 VXL.

Hopefully he likes his birthday present...a new Rustler 4x4 VXL.
    You know, my birthday is August the 11th...just saying. (lol)

You know, my birthday is August the 11th...just saying. (lol)
    ...I sure hope you have a friend that buys you an R/C car! LOL

Nope, no filthy rich guys here. (lol) I do have a nice wife, though, that poopsie's the heck out of me.

Nope, no filthy rich guys here. (lol) I do have a nice wife, though, that poopsie's the heck out of me.
    I'm not sure what that means so I'm just gonna slowly back away!

Well, I took the X-Maxx out today!
    It slowly (About the same speed as the 1/16 revo brushed on beginner mode.) went about 30 yards and nothing!
    I took the body off and noticed the V light was flashing red. I turned everything off, checked all connections and started it back up. It tried to go then same thing. I didn't bring my instructions with me so I unplugged everything and just ran the other cars. I'll trouble shoot this thing as soon as I finish dinner. maybe someone knows what's up...in my experience so far the instructions are pretty sparse! This forum and YouTube, along with the LHS have been my go tos so far.

At least the instructions are in English...all my drone stuff came with instructions in Ingrish!

I'm not sure what that means so I'm just gonna slowly back away!
    You've heard of people being so rich that they can afford to buy their own island. Well "Filthy Rich" is when a person is so rich that they can afford to buy their own continent. It means a super rich person. I know you're not really "Filthy Rich" or "Super Rich", but being you were buying your friend a new RC, I was teasing you by saying you were.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-22-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast