RC poster

Quick refresher - want a Spartan

Hey all,

Have an itch to try an RC boat, and rather than piece one together from the start (not even sure if kits like that exist) I think I値l opt for a RTR setup like the Spartan. I致e never owned a Traxxas product, as I come from the RC heli world, but they seem like a decent package.

I知 about to grab the Red Electric Spartan, and want to grab the necessary upgrades right off that bat.

I知 torn between the Charger/Batt combo, either the 2S or 3S setup, though I値l probably grab 2 of whichever battery I don稚 get in the charger combo.

On my list to grab -

OSE or Hot Racing Dual Pickup 5 (appears this part is for the M41, but will attach to the Spartan rudder support)

Hot Racing Aluminum Cooling jacket and 1/4 tube

OSE dual exhaust port

Want to grab the OSE 3/16 shaft upgrade (the all in one upgrade, not each part individually)

Will that be a decent start for the occasional 6S runs? Is the Castle ESC truly under spec壇 for 6S?

How about OSE trim tabs and side fins?

I値l also grab the rear splash guard and some canopy tape. Though I知 not entirely sure how to correctly tape the canopy/cowl down just yet.

I致e seen the mods to more securely attach canopy - may visit that down the road.

I guess my main question is, without grabbing an all new power system + Seaking and creating custom ESC cooling etc, will he stock ESC and Motor with the added cooling tubes be sufficient?

I知 fine running 4S for time being if all I知 doing is risking issues with a 6S setup on stock electronics.

What CAP pack are folks referring to on the stock Castle ESC? Worthy purchase if I don稚 intend to fabricate a custom cooling tube setup anytime soon?

Worth grabbing Traxxas telemetry for voltage monitoring?

Anything else I知 missing?

Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ty

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty89m View Post
    Hey all,
    Have an itch to try an RC boat, and rather than piece one together from the start (not even sure if kits like that exist) I think I値l opt for a RTR setup like the Spartan. I致e never owned a Traxxas product, as I come from the RC heli world, but they seem like a decent package.

I知 about to grab the Red Electric Spartan, and want to grab the necessary upgrades right off that bat.

I知 torn between the Charger/Batt combo, either the 2S or 3S setup, though I値l probably grab 2 of whichever battery I don稚 get in the charger combo.

On my list to grab -

OSE or Hot Racing Dual Pickup 5 (appears this part is for the M41, but will attach to the Spartan rudder support)

Hot Racing Aluminum Cooling jacket and 1/4 tube

OSE dual exhaust port

Want to grab the OSE 3/16 shaft upgrade (the all in one upgrade, not each part individually)

Will that be a decent start for the occasional 6S runs? Is the Castle ESC truly under spec壇 for 6S?

How about OSE trim tabs and side fins?

I値l also grab the rear splash guard and some canopy tape. Though I知 not entirely sure how to correctly tape the canopy/cowl down just yet.

I致e seen the mods to more securely attach canopy - may visit that down the road.

I guess my main question is, without grabbing an all new power system + Seaking and creating custom ESC cooling etc, will he stock ESC and Motor with the added cooling tubes be sufficient?

I知 fine running 4S for time being if all I知 doing is risking issues with a 6S setup on stock electronics.

What CAP pack are folks referring to on the stock Castle ESC? Worthy purchase if I don稚 intend to fabricate a custom cooling tube setup anytime soon?

Worth grabbing Traxxas telemetry for voltage monitoring?

Anything else I知 missing?

Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ty
    All that will get you started in the right direction.

The big thing to do is the dual port cooling mod. If you keep everything else stock you should be good for a while. If you don't do a hatch securing mod, the hatch tape is a good idea. I got 8 years out of my stock setup before my ESC went up. I now run a OSE 180 amp set up.

Eight Year Stock Setup

New Setup
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    The big thing to do is the dual port cooling mod. If you keep everything else stock you should be good for a while. If you don't do a hatch securing mod, the hatch tape is a good idea. I got 8 years out of my stock setup before my ESC went up. I now run a OSE 180 amp set up.

Eight Year Stock Setup

New Setup
    I've been looking at your posts in regards to all your fabricated mods, nicely done sir!

I've never worked with brass etc, but tempted to give it a whirl, are the Castle ESC expander CAPS installed somewhere in there as well? Where do you get your brass for the extra cooling blocks etc? I'm already tempted to grab the Seaking and aftermarket motor for no other reason than better temps etc, but figure running both 4S and 6S should extend things a bit.

Do you folks think the OSE adjustable trim tabs are a worthy investment?

I'm 100% new to boats, so truly have no idea what I'm doing - but should be fun.

Will I need to remove the liner from the tube (stuffer?) when running the OSE 3/16 upgraded shaft/parts?

Recommendations on a good way to grease the shaft? Appears the OSE shaft kit includes a grease nipple.

Thanks a ton!

I've been looking at your posts in regards to all your fabricated mods, nicely done sir!
    Thank you for the kind words, my friend.

I've never worked with brass etc, but tempted to give it a whirl.
    If you want to give making a brass water cooled heat sink a shot. I have step by step pictures on how to do it for both stock and OSE setups.

Are the Castle ESC expander CAPS installed somewhere in there as well?
    With my stock setup I used the Castle CC Cap Pack and cooled it. On my OSE setup I had to make my own cap pack (and cooled it) due to the needed capacitance being 3000uF rather than 1000uF.

Where do you get your brass for the extra cooling blocks etc.?
    You can get brass stock from your local hobby store.

I'm already tempted to grab the Seaking and aftermarket motor for no other reason than better temps etc, but figure running both 4S and 6S should extend things a bit.
    I wouldn't. I would do the dual port cooling mod, run 6s only (the Spartan eats 4s Lipo's and 7 cell Nims), use hatch tape, keep everything stock, and run it as is for the summer season.

Do you folks think the OSE adjustable trim tabs are a worthy investment?
    They're nice, but the Traxxas trim tabs and turn fins work fine. The only thing I'd do for now is sharpen the leading edges of your turn fins.

I'm 100% new to boats, so truly have no idea what I'm doing - but should be fun.
    My Spartan was my first boat too, and it's a good idea to get used to things before you start changing things around. I started as a heliflopter guy myself, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of boating. Just play in a spot that provides you with plenty of room to learn and lets you adjust your control as need.

Will I need to remove the liner from the tube (stuffer?) when running the OSE 3/16 upgraded shaft/parts?
    I do, but I wouldn't yet if I were you. Your Spartan will poop grease out the back (and yes it's annoying), but wait a while before you mod that area. You don't want to prop-up or change you flex drive until your ready to do a lot more mods. The Spartan .150 flex cable is fine if you keep everything stock. Just grease everything each time it come in for a battery change.

Recommendations on a good way to grease the shaft? Appears the OSE shaft kit includes a grease nipple.
    You can't over grease your flex shaft. Any extra will come off as you slide in your flex shaft. You can under grease though, so don't be afraid to slather that baby up. On the OSE strut there is a nipple. It looks like a grease fitting, but you actually use it with a reservoir that holds vegetable oil. In the future I'll show you a better way to mod this area, and you won't need to do that.

Remember, all I would do for the time being is: use Hatch tape to secure and waterproof your hatch, do the dual port cooling mod, sharpen your turn fins, run 6s batteries, shorten the wires on your batteries and ESC wires to a total length of 5 (or under) inches, and the last thing is: either get the OSE splash guard or do this (or both):

Fill this area in with silicon.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 07-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.