Thread: Shock tuning

Shock tuning

It was time to rebuild my shocks, the truck was sagging under it's own weight and the rebound was non existent. I have multiple sets of GTR shocks that I bought a few years back for both spares and parts if I need them, they were new revo takeoffs I got on ebay for 13$ a set so I bought 8 shocks total. The bonus is they came with the TiNi coated shafts. Since I was taking everything apart I decided to swap out the shafts and when I was taking the new ones apart I noticed they had the blue bump stops inside the shock opposed to sitting on the perch on the outside. So after i rebuilt the shocks i put them on the inside of the shock and that definitely cures the over extension of the suspension, no need for limiting straps. I was wanting to go stiffer on the suspension. I was running the blue springs in the back and silver up front with the stock oil. I kept those springs but upped my shock oil in the front to 50 and 60 in the rear. Going to heavier oil I wanted to keep the rebound active so I drilled the shock pistons out with 1/16th inch drill bit. Put the shocks back together and they are stiff and the rebound is awesome. This was the golden ticket for me. Took the truck out tonight to test it and it is awesome. The shocks are perfect. I was jumping probably 40 ft, getting about 8ft of air, landing on flat ground and it just soaked it up. Total game changer for me. The rebound with that heavy of oil is impressive. It's kind of weird, the rebound is extremely fast, but over small bumps and rough terrain it soaks it up very smoothly and it turns like a dream. Air it out and it just takes it. I can't believe how much better it is. So for anybody looking to go firm and take some big air here is my golden ticket set up.

50wt oil up front, 60wt oil in the rear, drill your pistons out to 1/16th of an inch, run your bump stops inside the shock- just put them under the shock piston, taper facing up towards the piston. I also added hot racing alloy shock shaft ends since I had them since last year
    and I swapped out the stock shafts for the TiNi coated ones.
    It does have alot of rebound in the front, i didn't mind it or notice any ill effects, but you could probably leave the pistons stock or drill them out a little smaller if it's too much for you.
    Hope this helps anybody looking to stiffen up their truck, I love it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 07-20-2019 at 09:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Good info (bookmarked for later)

Iím testing mine out on 60wt all round pink rear and silver front on the GTR (hard anodised/Teflon coated oneís) also have the variable damping kit on hand.

Iíll update after I get some decent run times under my belt.

The heavier springs tend to really wear on ball ends. I run similar in my 21TM nitro revo, but I use the vdk #2 and 70wt I believe. On my ERBE, I ran vdk #2, 60wt, rc raven springs, p2 rockers/rods. I transplanted that setup when I converted my v1 to a v2. I'm getting a lot more air now that I'm running 6S. It does hit the ground pretty hard, but I'd rather a bit of that then having to replace rod ends all the time.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    The heavier springs tend to really wear on ball ends. I run similar in my 21TM nitro revo, but I use the vdk #2 and 70wt I believe. On my ERBE, I ran vdk #2, 60wt, rc raven springs, p2 rockers/rods. I transplanted that setup when I converted my v1 to a v2. I'm getting a lot more air now that I'm running 6S. It does hit the ground pretty hard, but I'd rather a bit of that then having to replace rod ends all the time.
    You are spot on. After a few weeks of running my above set up, the push rods and toe links just don't hold up. You can have what seems to be a pretty smooth landing and, oh what's that, yup, bent link, broken rod end. I have to try and figure something else out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk