RC Enthusiast

Stainless screws pointless imo

Just wanted to share my experience. I changed almost every screw on my xmaxx to stainless and since then I have had nothing but trouble. They are softer and less reliable than stock steel screws. They back themselves out over time and have been a waste of $ and time to install. Dont waste your time unless your truck is a shelf queen! Just wanted to give anyone that was thinking of changing to them my opinion and experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They're good for boats, but I'm like you. I don't waste my money on them for my land RC's.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Blowin View Post
    Just wanted to share my experience. I changed almost every screw on my xmaxx to stainless and since then I have had nothing but trouble. They are softer and less reliable than stock steel screws. They back themselves out over time and have been a waste of $ and time to install. Dont waste your time unless your truck is a shelf queen! Just wanted to give anyone that was thinking of changing to them my opinion and experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I totally agree! I bought them for a Yeti XL which I ran in snow, mud and rain. They are too soft and hex’s strip out too easily.

I pass on those thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Stock and Tony’s Screws for the win!

What I do is order a complete set from Tony and as they are marked (pretty much all are) I swap out as I go, Tony’s are meant to be stronger but I’ve never had issues with stock, just piece of mind.

Plus I do find the coating on the TS more durable then the stock ones (but I do corrosionX all screw heads post removal/refitting)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So having a ground up build, I chose SS. I donít like rust. Iím sure all screws will back out of plastic, no matter the medium. Also Iím curious how, if youíre using the right tools, can you strip out a hex going plastic to plastic. I have stripped one SS screw, but that was for the motor mount(aluminum). Iím in agreement, for a basher, SS as an upgrade is not super logical.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    So having a ground up build, I chose SS. I donít like rust. Iím sure all screws will back out of plastic, no matter the medium. Also Iím curious how, if youíre using the right tools, can you strip out a hex going plastic to plastic. I have stripped one SS screw, but that was for the motor mount(aluminum). Iím in agreement, for a basher, SS as an upgrade is not super logical.

Most my issue happen in screwing into aluminum or steel components. Carbon Steel is actually stronger then SS although yes they rust. To each there own.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post
    Most my issue happen in screwing into aluminum or steel components. Carbon Steel is actually stronger then SS although yes they rust. To each there own.....
    I get what youíre saying. I will say Iíve bent some screws that take abuse. I think Iíd prefer bending over breaking in that instance.

RC Champion
    I totally agree! I bought them for a Yeti XL which I ran in snow, mud and rain. They are too soft and hex’s strip out too easily.

I pass on those thank you!
    Agreed, Stainless steel hardware is junk, can't take abuse as it will bend if not break, the drive heads round out easily and then you're hosed. I've had SS hardware from many different sources, some are better than others, but I won't use it for anything now. ymmv lol

RC Competitor
    For those who do use stainless steel screws, do not use them in aluminum. It will rot the threads of the aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk