RC Competitor

Motor upgrade/ Motor mount

I'm looking at ditching the stock x-maxx 8s motor. I want something that'll run cooler hopefully.
    I'm running a Max 6 ESC. What is a good all around bashing motor? I'm not necessarily looking for an exact Kv, though it wouldn't hurt, but more of a brand & size. Also will I need aftermarket motor mounts?
    Ps- I was looking at the hobby wing ezrun 1100kv 1/5the scale motor mostly b/c it says it'll work w/ the max 6 or 5 esc.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MT79 View Post
    I'm looking at ditching the stock x-maxx 8s motor. I want something that'll run cooler hopefully.
    I'm running a Max 6 ESC. What is a good all around bashing motor? I'm not necessarily looking for an exact Kv, though it wouldn't hurt, but more of a brand & size. Also will I need aftermarket motor mounts?
    Ps- I was looking at the hobby wing ezrun 1100kv 1/5the scale motor mostly b/c it says it'll work w/ the max 6 or 5 esc.
    Iím looking into this too. I want something to run cooler. Not more power. No answers yet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a leopard 5898 can, 1100kv. You can gear it however you like.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I have a leopard 5898 can, 1100kv. You can gear it however you like.

Did you need an aftermarket motor mount or anything else to get it fitted?
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

Unfortunately nobody really makes any 49xx size motors that are either longer or lower kv. Like for my erevo 2.0 I just picked the same size motor but went down to a 1550kv from the stock 2200kv to get my temps in check. The only other motor I've seen is the new hobbywing 4985 that would be a drop in replacement and it's only rated for 6s. The hobbywing specs/info on their motors contradicts from one of their web pages to the next. It says the 4985 should be paired with the max 6 and 5687, 56113 should be paired with the max 5. Then on another page it gives you the option to order a max6/5687 combo. The amp rating on the 5687 is 200amps, why they would sell that motor with a 160amp ESC is confusing. Somebody probably needs to call them to see what the real situation is. Either motor will likely make the truck alot faster. Hobbystar makes a 5692 in 850kv that is a 148amp motor and leopard makes a 5882 in 1360kv that is a 152 amp motor. I dought the leopard would run a whole lot cooler and it would definitely be faster. Kind of a tricky situation. Upgraded fans and reduced gearing is for sure a cheaper solution. You could go to a max 5 and a big motor and it will run cool, but then you're on a whole new power level. Anything bigger than the stock size motor requires a new mount.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 07-21-2019 at 06:49 PM.

RC Competitor
    I had good results using a hot racing fan that runs off a 4s lipo but for the fact of the two I bought neither lasted more than two packs. The fan died on both. So I gave up on them for now. I'd hate to gear down and I have a feeling I'd still have heat issues. I saw what you're talking about regarding the 5687/200 amps. But as you said hobbywing sells them as a kit & specifically says the 5687 motor is compatible w/ the max 5 and 6.
    Would I just be leaving power on the table so to speak or could there be other issues w/ the 200 amp motor 5687 & max 6 esc?
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

I had good results using a hot racing fan that runs off a 4s lipo but for the fact of the two I bought neither lasted more than two packs. The fan died on both. So I gave up on them for now. I'd hate to gear down and I have a feeling I'd still have heat issues. I saw what you're talking about regarding the 5687/200 amps. But as you said hobbywing sells them as a kit & specifically says the 5687 motor is compatible w/ the max 5 and 6.
    Would I just be leaving power on the table so to speak or could there be other issues w/ the 200 amp motor 5687 & max 6 esc?
    The motor will pull as many amps as the ESC will let it. So in theory you could be pretty much, no pun intended, be maxing out your 160 amp max 6 more often than you want. From what I've researched one of the easiest ways to kill your ESC is to run an amp hog of a motor. I would seriously consider calling them to see what the deal is if you think hobbywing will be your choice. There are better fan options out there. These blow twice as much air as the hot racing and supposedly they are more durable.
    https://r1wurks.com/products/30x15-8-4v-br-cooling-fan
    https://www.wildturbofan.com/
    For some reason it won't let me link right to the right fan on the wild turbo fan page. Just scroll down to the windy fan page.

Last edited by nickruger; 07-21-2019 at 07:47 PM.

RC Competitor
    ^Excuse my cluelessness but I'm guessing those fans would bolt into the stock velineon fan housing maybe w/ some modding?
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you need an aftermarket motor mount or anything else to get it fitted?
    Yes. And 8mm pinion.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    The motor will pull as many amps as the ESC will let it. So in theory you could be pretty much, no pun intended, be maxing out your 160 amp max 6 more often than you want. From what I've researched one of the easiest ways to kill your ESC is to run an amp hog of a motor. I would seriously consider calling them to see what the deal is if you think hobbywing will be your choice. There are better fan options out there. These blow twice as much air as the hot racing and supposedly they are more durable.
    https://r1wurks.com/products/30x15-8-4v-br-cooling-fan
    https://www.wildturbofan.com/
    For some reason it won't let me link right to the right fan on the wild turbo fan page. Just scroll down to the windy fan page.

I think matching your gear is very important. Donít forget batteries need to be up to the challenge as well. My motor is a 200 amp motor and my esc is a 200 amp as well. Properly matched and geared setups wonít have heat issues on any one component, just
    Make sure youíre sizing your equipment for your application.

RC Competitor
    I think matching your gear is very important. Don’t forget batteries need to be up to the challenge as well. My motor is a 200 amp motor and my esc is a 200 amp as well. Properly matched and geared setups won’t have heat issues on any one component, just
    Make sure you’re sizing your equipment for your application.

After looking more, hobbywing only offers the 5687 1150kv motor in a combo w/ the Max 6 ESC. Can't get it with a Max 5. The 56113 800kv is only available w/ the Max 5 in a combo. Seems hobbywing endorses the max 6/ 5687 motor combo.
    Any way I emailed hobbywing regarding the amperage difference between esc & motor. I'll see what they say. I Appreciate the info.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Qualifier
    How was you running the fans?

4S is 14.8v so hopefully two in series?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After looking more, hobbywing only offers the 5687 1150kv motor in a combo w/ the Max 6 ESC. Can't get it with a Max 5. The 56113 800kv is only available w/ the Max 5 in a combo. Seems hobbywing endorses the max 6/ 5687 motor combo.
    Any way I emailed hobbywing regarding the amperage difference between esc & motor. I'll see what they say. I Appreciate the info.
    No worries, Iím curious what they say. Any reason youíre hung up on comboís?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    How was you running the fans?

4S is 14.8v so hopefully two in series?
    It's a single 50mm fan that mounts directly to the heatsink using a bracket. There is a batt adapter w/ mini deans plug to power the fan.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Competitor
    No worries, I’m curious what they say. Any reason you’re hung up on combo’s?

Well on the phone HW said it'd be alright to use the 5687 motor w/ a Max 6 esc. Later in an email they said they knew I called earlier but they'd only recommend a Max 5 esc in an X-Maxx w/ either of their two larger 1/5th scale motors (5687 1100kv & 56113 800kv). The 1650kv would be ok though.
    Not hung up on combos just don't really know what's what's to trust myself to put something together myself.
    Ended going w/ a HW Max 5 esc & HW 5687sl 1100kv 1/5th motor. Any suggestions on a starting point for gearing for general bashing?
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well on the phone HW said it'd be alright to use the 5687 motor w/ a Max 6 esc. Later in an email they said they knew I called earlier but they'd only recommend a Max 5 esc in an X-Maxx w/ either of their two larger 1/5th scale motors (5687 1100kv & 56113 800kv). The 1650kv would be ok though.
    Not hung up on combos just don't really know what's what's to trust myself to put something together myself.
    Ended going w/ a HW Max 5 esc & HW 5687sl 1100kv 1/5th motor. Any suggestions on a starting point for gearing for general bashing?
    Iíd start with 25ish/46. Iím at 37/46, but Iím running 5898 1100kv. No loss of power, so significant heat, and loads of speed and torque.

RC Competitor
    I have 22 & 23 tooth pinions on the way so I was in the ballpark there, luckily at least to start with. The included high speed spur will get me to 46 on that. We"ll see what happens. I appreciate your help.
    Slash Nitro
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo 2.0

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No problem. Watch the mesh especially with that stock spur. They tend to shatter if itís not perfect. When and if it gives up, go with a GDS hardened steel spur