RC Competitor

Question WD-40 Where to Apply & Where Not To?

I read so much about WD-40 and how good it is all over the truck. Softenís hard plastics to make them more durable, lubricates parts, forces water out of water sensitive areas. Can even be used to just clean scrape marks off the body. It really does seem like a magical fix-all spray in a can.

One question though. Is there anywhere in specific you should not spray WD-40? Iím thinking in relation to tthe E-Revo 2.0 in particular or should you just regularly, and liberally, spray the truck down all over with it and not worry about it?

Cheers,
    Delirious.

Once place to not get to crazy with it is on your bearings. Wd40 will eat grease. So it will remove the grease from the bearings. Ones most likely to get hit are wheel bearings and the outer diff bearings by drive cups, servo saver bearings. Shock rocker bearings, motor has metal sealed bearings.

Regular bearings maintenance is helpful. Cleaning them, removing seals, clearing out old grease and repacking them. There vids out there on how to do this. Or just replacing. Replacing can get expensive... more so if going with Boca. I'm lucky and my mom n pop lhs has all bearings needed for $1each which seem to be of better quality than the stock ones.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about these R/C cars specifically. One thing to keep in mind is that WD40 will attract dust and dust attracts moisture.
    The best way to think about WD40 is that it's a SOLVENT! It's good for cleaning.

If it will soften plastic, that means it's breaking it down or melting it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff...just not as a lubricant.

For lubricants I use any of the following:

Spray silicone lube
    Spray white lithium grease
    Vaseline
    Marvellous Mystery Oil
    any number of oils and greases for autos, depending on the weight needed.

I'm new to these cars, so I haven't figured out what I'm using where yet. I just know as far as lubricants go, WD40 isn't one of them.

I'm not lord RC, but this product is made specifically to repel dirt, lube moving parts, renews plastics, and literally can be sprayed all over the whole car. It's the only thing I use.
    https://us.muc-off.com/products/mo-94
    I buy mine on Amazon. Here is a picture of my erevo after probably a 100 runs. I do get my stuff dirty, not afraid to run in mud. Here is a picture of my Xmaxx after a run

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickruger; 07-22-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I'm not lord RC, but this product is made specifically to repel dirt, lube moving parts, renews plastics, and literally can be sprayed all over the whole car. It's the only thing I use.
    I buy mine on Amazon. Here is a picture of my erevo after probably a 100 runs.

Hmmm...looks interesting! I might try it.

In the past, my favorite cleaner has always been generic automotive brake cleaner. NOT carb cleaner! I even use the BRAKE cleaner on my guns.

Carb cleaner will eat plastic, Brake cleaner will not.

Some brake cleaners may frost some plastic though so testing with your particular brand and plastic are prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Hmmm...looks interesting! I might try it.

In the past, my favorite cleaner has always been generic automotive brake cleaner. NOT carb cleaner! I even use the BRAKE cleaner on my guns.

Carb cleaner will eat plastic, Brake cleaner will not.

Some brake cleaners may frost some plastic though so testing with your particular brand and plastic are prudent.
    The muc off is used after cleaning. I use simple green, the hose and a scrub brush where needed for a post run scrub down.

For general cleaning of most household stuff, I use about 1/3 distilled white vinegar to 2/3 water and a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid.

I normally only use wd40 when running at the beach. It helps keep my stuff from rusting as once I get around to cleaning it after a few days all my screws and stuff are wanting to rust.

I use brake cleaner when cleaning bearings or things with grease. Also use electronic cleaner on more sensitive parts.

I then use clp, and belray marine grease to lube stuff up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the tips guys, useful info. Looks like I’m going to need to get myself some varying different lubricants and sprays.

Cheers,
    Delirious.

RC poster
    I buy mine on Amazon. Here is a picture of my erevo after probably a 100 runs. I do get my stuff dirty, not afraid to run in mud. Here is a picture of my Xmaxx after a run

Do you just hose it off after you are done then reapply? Truck looks great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bshizzle View Post
    Do you just hose it off after you are done then reapply? Truck looks great!!!
    No, this is my process atleast
    Spray the unit down with water
    Spray liberally with simple green
    Scrub where needed
    Rinse thoroughly with hose
    Blow dry with light compressed air
    Then I go nuts with the Muc Off MO-94

You can just let the Muc Off air dry. It dries to a shine, only need to wipe off any pooling if you prefer. You can be as liberal as you want with it, although due to the price I try to be a little more tactically liberal with it.

RC poster
    No, this is my process atleast
    Then I go nuts with the Muc Off MO-94

You can just let the Muc Off air dry. It dries to a shine, only need to wipe off any pooling if you prefer. You can be as liberal as you want with it, although due to the price I try to be a little more tactically liberal with it.

I used to use MO-94 too, but now I can only seem to find that green one, the 'biodegradable' stuff. Does anybody know if that works the same?

Also big benefit of MO-94 over WD-40: it smells better!