Thread: Climbing

Climbing

I'm trying to improve my climbing abilities. So far I'm mostly stock with the exception of the steering servo and controller. I also flipped the bumpers for more clearance. I'm thinking about underdriving the rear and adding some brass portals up front. I'm already one of the most capable rigs in my group. I can use open diffs to get places that others can't get to with locked diffs. So I'm not looking to do anything too crazy. Is there any data on how much each of these mods help when climbing up rocks?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Recommend going with brass ports on all fours, it they will help with your overall stability, greatly improve your climbing, and by putting them on the back too, prevent you from doing cartwheels when you are diving down hill.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    I went a very similar route to that suggested by Jimdog. My Defender has an upgraded steering servo with metal horn, overdrive gears in the front axle, SSD front portal weights and G-Made steel beadlocks with standard size TSL SX super swampers and dual stage foams. I also junked the luggage rack from the roof along with all the extra clutter from the rear. SSD bumpers were added to help approach/departure angles. It's now a much better drive than stock and is less inclined to lift the nose on climbs. Personally I haven't felt that it needs rear portal weights. I'd spend that money on decent foams instead.

RC poster
    You can also use lead tire weights in your front tires gives you a lil more grip and less flip back and either dirt cheap or some shops just give them to you.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Pick better lines. My defender is un weighted and out performs other scalers etc, my only 2 mods are a servo (stock lasted 18 months) and proline dual stage xl foams. Massive difference.
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC poster
    Choose better lines. Using Lead Tire weights in front tires provides you a better grip.

update on this. i put in the underdrive gears and got some heavier wheels. im waiting for my dual stage foams to break in but it is doing fantastic so far.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    I couldnt believe how stiff those dual stage foams were. I didnt see how they could possibly break in and be pliable so i built my own closed cell foams..
    Heavy wheels are definately an improvement, and way better bang for buck than portal covers.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    I couldnt believe how stiff those dual stage foams were. I didnt see how they could possibly break in and be pliable so i built my own closed cell foams..
    Heavy wheels are definately an improvement, and way better bang for buck than portal covers.
    Which ones did you get the pro line dual stage are really nice

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    how much weight did you add to the wheels? I work at a dealership and have access to tape on weights...just do not really want to add too much...or is there such a a thing. lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TY13R5 View Post
    Which ones did you get the pro line dual stage are really nice
    I just took a look back, it was actually the single stage i tried out. I didnt go dual stage because the outer layer was still open cell, and i do a lot of wet driving.

Quote Originally Posted by bhamer2 View Post
    how much weight did you add to the wheels? I work at a dealership and have access to tape on weights...just do not really want to add too much...or is there such a a thing. lol
    I added steel beadlocks, which added 54grams per wheel ! I dont like stick on weights.
    This was a night and day difference climbind steep rock faces.
    See here on both topics above. -->> https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6480445
    Last edited by Stircrayzy; 09-06-2019 at 07:30 PM.