RC Enthusiast

trx-4 sport diffs and tranny.

just wondering if you can add the remote locking diffs and the two speed tranny to the sport kit. i am not into comp crawling but more of a basher. i may want to add these someday.

The short answer... Yes.

The first thing is the radio, I am assuming it came with a 2-channel radio, you'll need to get the radio that comes with the Defender, or get an aftermarket radio with at least four channels.

Second, the differentials. The Sport comes with spools, you need to get the internal hardware for the locking diffs, the connector cables, the servos and the servo mounts. Also, if you are not using the Defender radio you will have to give each diff-lock its own channel, or get a Traxxas T-Lock module, which will allow you to control both diffs using one channel.

Lastly, the transmission. It looks like the cases are exactly the same, so you'll just have to get the internal gears and shift linkage. You'll also need to get the servo and mounting bracket.

My defender has gone through a number of changes, one of them was getting rid of the locking diffs. The feature is cool, but adds just a bit more complexity than I care for in my rigs. I kept the two-speed transmission, even running a Mamba-X and 1900kv motor, I find the extra range useful.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The short answer... Yes.

The first thing is the radio, I am assuming it came with a 2-channel radio, you'll need to get the radio that comes with the Defender, or get an aftermarket radio with at least four channels.

Second, the differentials. The Sport comes with spools, you need to get the internal hardware for the locking diffs, the connector cables, the servos and the servo mounts. Also, if you are not using the Defender radio you will have to give each diff-lock its own channel, or get a Traxxas T-Lock module, which will allow you to control both diffs using one channel.

Lastly, the transmission. It looks like the cases are exactly the same, so you'll just have to get the internal gears and shift linkage. You'll also need to get the servo and mounting bracket.

My defender has gone through a number of changes, one of them was getting rid of the locking diffs. The feature is cool, but adds just a bit more complexity than I care for in my rigs. I kept the two-speed transmission, even running a Mamba-X and 1900kv motor, I find the extra range useful.
    thanks thought it should. plan on keeping everything stock for now. this is the no electronics version so i plan on getting 6 channel radio

RC poster
    The good thing is you can get better upgrades doing this to. Upgraded micro servos that cost same or less then traxxas. Also get a better third party remote something with 5 or 6ch.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk