RC Competitor

Diff Problems PLZ HELP!!!!

IVe replaced the diff once already striped again what do i do?

RC Racer
    What power plant are you using? How is your slipper set? Try loosening or detuning it.

RC Competitor
    Vxl 3s I will try the slipper clutch loosening is there anything I can do to upgrade my transmission

RC Racer
    Try the Hot Racing Super Duty Slipper system. If you're on loose dirt, bumpy, grass, etc., try tightening the slipper down all the way, then back it off a 1/4 turn or so. Keep checking things after a few laps. Tighten or loosen as needed for the vehicle to perform as needed.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help will try all things

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    Thanks for the help will try all things
    When you get serious and want to drop some money, look at the FLM super diff. If your problems arenít solved with clutch adjustments and driving habit modifications.

Somehow builds are never done....

RC Competitor
    Ok so now I’m mad. I got the hot racing slipper and it does not work with the RPM gearbox because it rubs on the aluminum. So I just used the stock slipper clutch. I have not had a problem with the diff since but this is the third time stripping the idler gear. I don’t really know what to do and would really like some suggestions. Also should I do what this video says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZOh...frags=pl%2Cwn? OF course then I would have to lose the RPM gearbox but id rather do that then strip gears all the time.
    Last edited by Sharkbait; 07-30-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Sounds like you are just throwing parts at it...

You need to figure out what is causing the problem, or get rid of the old transmission completely. There are five things that typically cause stripped gears in transmissions.

1. Bad gears. Not common, but it happens. But, when this happens, it can cause other things to go wrong.
    2. Over powered. You are using a VXL, and even on 3S, shouldn't destroy the drive train.
    3. Slipper too tight. General place to start with the slipper is to tighten it up all of the way, then back off 1/4 turn.
    4. Bad bearing(s). When you do have a failure in your transmission, you should remove all of the bearings and check them to make sure they still roll smooth and true. If the race is mess up your bearing will wobble, causing the shaft riding in it to get out of position. From this your gear mesh changes and you are eating them.
    5. Bad bearing seat in the transmission case. When you take out your bearings for inspection you should take a hard look at the bearing seats, makes sure they are not damaged, make sure the bearing sits in them firmly and that there is no side-to-side movement of the bearing when properly seated.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Thanks i will do all these things then see what to do next

RC Racer
    Ok so now I’m mad. I got the hot racing slipper and it does not work with the RPM gearbox because it rubs on the aluminum. So I just used the stock slipper clutch. I have not had a problem with the diff since but this is the third time stripping the idler gear. I don’t really know what to do and would really like some suggestions. Also should I do what this video says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZOh...frags=pl%2Cwn? OF course then I would have to lose the RPM gearbox but id rather do that then strip gears all the time.
    Sorry you're having issues. I would check that RPM gearbox. I have the hot racing slipper clutch in mine and there is plenty of clearance in between the gearbox and the slipper. I don't know why yours is rubbing? Also, take a look at Demon Rustler Upgrade 67 as far as how to assemble the sealed diff. I think it is a much better tutorial.
    Last edited by OtisWhitestone; 07-31-2019 at 09:11 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help everyone! I had a few bad bearings witch were probably from the sand dunes. I’m gonna try to make it to the LHS to pick up parts. Also my cousin has a Bandit that he’s selling to me for $85. Can’t Wait hope this solves my issues

RC Competitor
    Ok question I replaced all the bearings because they were all shot. Am I stripping gears because I have a diff locker?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok question I replaced all the bearings because they were all shot. Am I stripping gears because I have a diff locker?
    Doubt it. Iíd guess loose gear mesh. Caused either by you or tranny case flex

Somehow builds are never done....

Quote Originally Posted by OtisWhitestone View Post
    Sorry you're having issues. I would check that RPM gearbox. I have the hot racing slipper clutch in mine and there is plenty of clearance in between the gearbox and the slipper. I don't know why yours is rubbing? Also, take a look at Demon Rustler Upgrade 67 as far as how to assemble the sealed diff. I think it is a much better tutorial.
    The Demon Rustler vids are great, especially for the hot racing sealed diff. The only thing I’d add to his already great tutorial is to use something like associated green slime on all the o-rings. Pretty sure it’s just a green moly type. I just pulled this diff from my Rustler after running 20 or so batteries through it, 2s & 3s, and it didn’t seem to lose any of the 30k traxxas diff fluid I’d used.

RC Competitor
    Did it again now I’m stumped any help?

Did it again now Iím stumped any help?
    Did what again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Easy fix, buy FLM super diff and be happy forever

ask rc DAD

Itís true Role! Iíve used the diff with and without the H-Bar, with and without the shims on the output shafts, and it works flawlessly both ways.

I also have a four year old driving it, with a 2250kV motor shoehorned in there. Being able to use those spider gears is a game changer!

RC Racer
    Try going without the diff locker and see if that helps, because the super diff is 100 dollars. That is a lot of cheddar.

RC Competitor
    Yeah and I’m short on money too so I will try

Yeah and Iím short on money too so I will try
    Good call. I had the diff locker and it was fun for driving on loose surfaces, but thatís about it. Itís not all that practical for an all around basher. It will definitely lead to broken parts elsewhere in the truck.

If youíre on a budget, check out the hot racing sealed diff. It fits in the stock tranny, and uses all stock internal parts.

If you go that route, check out the demon Rustler video on you tube. Itís about perfect, except he does not use green slime or any grease on the o-rings (you should definitely do this), and I canít remember if he used thread locker on the screws, but you want to do that too. Tighten carefully in a criss-cross pattern.

RC poster
    SharkBait you might try a hit racing Diff. It is sealed. That is my next big upgrade for both of my two bandits.

RC Competitor
    Thanks all hopefully this will fix my problem. I will also install the RR idler gear