RC Competitor

Rustler 4x4 or Slash 4x4?

I want to get either a rustler 4x4 or a slash Iím just a basher so I want whatever doesnít break as easy

Other than the different bodies, slightly shorter chassis length of the Rustler, and difference ways of mounting the bodies (traditional clips for the Slash, clipless system for the Rustler), they are, essentially, the same. With the exception of a few parts, they use the exact same parts. Differences are, literally, nothing more than the bodies, front & rear bumpers, front & rear shock towers, front & rear body mounts, chassis pan, center driveshaft, wheels, and tires. There might be a few other minor parts that I missed, but, they will just be minor parts.

To better explain the 'similarities', I will mention that I'm currently in the process converting one of my Rustler 4x4s into a, sort of, shortened Slash 4x4. The "conversion" is requiring nothing more than a new body, shock towers, body mounts, and bumpers. Sure, I could include a number of other parts, but I don't really 'need' to.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    My personal opinion is that you should get the rustler 4x4 vxl, tekno m6 rear axles, and some upgrade shocks. Also get a quality traxxas lipo charger and get a decent 2s and 3s. But the rustler is more fun, because it can wheelie, you can do more tricks in the air, and you can make it have higher ground clearance. If you will just be running fast on grass/ a baseball field and stuff like that, then I recommend a slash. The rustler drives almost like a hybrid of a stampede and a slash imo. (Yes I have owned all three). In the end it is your choice though...

RC poster
    I would go for the rustler. The slash being a short course truck it is slower in grass, parachutes if you jump and for some reason at high speeds it goes insane (my experience). They are both great trucks but the rusty just seems more superior in the basher department. Watch Kevin talbots vids for video differences. Also the slash and rusty 4x4 also share some of the same problems but i don't think the rusty has as much center driveshaft issues. Choice is yours tho m8!

My $.50. When the Rustler 4x4 was introduced I wanted to get one. Planned and budgeted. Compared it to the Slash 4x4. Months later I went with the Slash 4x4 Platinum. Reasons: it came out of the box with the upgrades I planned on installing on the Rustler: aluminum front and rear hubs, aluminum steering block, GTR shocks, and aluminum bearing adapter in the slipper. All I needed to do was paint the body and purchase a tx/rx combo and install. Had I bought the Rustler and put these in, I would have >$100 more into it. My plan is that once the tires & body wear out I'll put on 2.8 tires, drop the pinion a few teeth and make it more Monster-like.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I think I’m going to go with the Rustler 4x4 xl5. I have a Rustler 2wd vxl that I want for a speed build. My plan is to take the vxl system out of 2wd rusty into 4x4 rusty along with a ton of upgraded Traxxas aluminum parts. Then I’ll get a better system for rusty 2wd for speed. I’m already planning on purchasing lipos as I have wanted too for a while. I will probably start a new thread for my 4x4 build once I begin

Of course, you could always get one of each.

I say that partially being 'funny', but also being honest. I've got two Rustys (the second one's a roller, to be converted into a buggy), plus a Slash roller, which I'm building into Toyota Tundra SCT, and they're both a blast to drive. I just ordered a Pro-Line Jato body, which is going on the Rusty chassis (after I switch the Rusty shock towers to some Slash shock towers, and place either Jato or adjustable body mounts on the shock towers).

Besides, if you have one of each, it gives you a great "excuse" to take your son, father, brother, wife, etc out for some racing. When I visited my parents in Vegas a few months ago, my step-dad enjoyed my Rusty so much, I decided to get him his own vehicle for Father's Day...tho, I got him a 2WD Slash, as he likes SCT racing, plus I figured it requires less maintenance, and is easier to learn to drive.

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the suggestion! I’m going to start with these two builds then I will probably end up getting a Slash4x4 ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    I think I’m going to go with the Rustler 4x4 xl5. I have a Rustler 2wd vxl that I want for a speed build. My plan is to take the vxl system out of 2wd rusty into 4x4 rusty along with a ton of upgraded Traxxas aluminum parts. Then I’ll get a better system for rusty 2wd for speed. I’m already planning on purchasing lipos as I have wanted too for a while. I will probably start a new thread for my 4x4 build once I begin
    Just be aware that the center shaft and the differential rings/pinions are different on the brushed version.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Thanks I didn’t think of that! Does anyone have part numbers for the right parts? I already am going to upgrade the turnbuckles and camber links. Is there anything else that is different?

Just look at the exploded views of the VXL and compare/contrast.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but where can I find that? Am I going to need a wheelie bar or not?

Through the Support button above.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Thanks! I will keep everyone updated as the build begins.

RC Competitor
    seems like the build might not begin for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but where can I find that? Am I going to need a wheelie bar or not?
    The 4x4 VXL comes with a wheelie bar.

FWIW, The Rustler 4x4 VXL is my favorite car overall! It has just run and hasn't broken or given me any fits yet.

The only drawback to it I've found is that there are no Propaint bodies available for it yet.