RC poster

Cool Slipper gear help!!!

So I am in need of some advice from people more experienced than myself.

It’s been years since I have owned an Rc truck. Probably 13+ years ago as a very young teenager I was given a hand me down T-Maxx from a very close friend after he got a new Revo. Regardless of it being ragged to and in need of several replacement parts, I still loved it like it was new out of the box and drove it until the wheels fell off, literally. Once it finally fell apart, I remember begging my parents to help me get it fixed and pleading with them to get me a Revo for Christmas. As an 11-12 year old, coming up with $600 for anything was a serious challenge and my parents were not very eager to help or maybe couldn’t help monetarily looking back on it. Regardless, a new of RC truck of any kind was never purchased and I moved on from the hobby. Some 13 or 14 years later as an adult and I still wanted that Revo 3.3 just as bad as I did when I was 12. Plus, having a 7 year old of my own now I want him to enjoy it as much as I did as a kid.

So, here I am having just bought a brand new Revo 3.3 off the shelf at the hobby shop just over a week ago and as expected it’s already in need of repair and I’m frankly not sure what caused it.

To the point of this thread, I finally got time to get it out after work today and try to tune it to the best of my ability. I followed all the break in procedures as Traxxas instructs and it was fine.

Get it out this afternoon, crank it up, and NOTHING. It wouldn’t move an inch. After nearly an hour of messing with it and a slew of curse words later, I finally figure out that the “slipper gear” or “slipper kit” or whatever it’s technical name is, is completely lacking the 3 little plates. All but a small portion of 1 of them was gone.

1. I would like to know what caused this
    2. I need advice on whether or not to simply replace the factory plates, upgrade them to a heavy duty plate or put on a slipper eliminator and lastly
    3. If I put on an eliminator how likely am I to be replacing differential parts

NOTE: I’m fairly sure what caused this was my lack of double checking how tight the slipper was after pulling it out of the box. I’m fairly sure someone in a factory somewhere in China or wherever they’re produced simply assembles them rather than actually checking specific things such as how tight the slipper should be for proper operation. But I could be wrong, I could just be a newb and messed it up.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by Double G; 07-29-2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: language, please watch it

RC Qualifier
    Just replace with stock pads. Cheap insurance for the driveline. The slipper probably was loose from the factory. When I bought one years ago the same thing happened to me, replaced them and they are still on there. When I replaced them I think I tightened a little tighter than manual says. Maybe it needed to be broken in,seated in I don't know. They fell off shortly after break in of engine also. I check it occasionally and only needed very little adjustment once. It's quick to check, I take a small wrench through hole in transmission shaft and try to turn spur "slipper gear" at the same time with my thumb. Quick and easy.
    If you just purchased it call Traxxas and tell them what happened, customer service is A+.
    Bummer it happened, it's a minor repair and a learning experience. Hope you and your son enjoy!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcade18 View Post
    So I am in need of some advice from people more experienced than myself.

It’s been years since I have owned an Rc truck. Probably 13+ years ago as a very young teenager I was given a hand me down T-Maxx from a very close friend after he got a new Revo. Regardless of it being ragged to and in need of several replacement parts, I still loved it like it was new out of the box and drove it until the wheels fell off, literally. Once it finally fell apart, I remember begging my parents to help me get it fixed and pleading with them to get me a Revo for Christmas. As an 11-12 year old, coming up with $600 for anything was a serious challenge and my parents were not very eager to help or maybe couldn’t help monetarily looking back on it. Regardless, a new of RC truck of any kind was never purchased and I moved on from the hobby. Some 13 or 14 years later as an adult and I still wanted that Revo 3.3 just as bad as I did when I was 12. Plus, having a 7 year old of my own now I want him to enjoy it as much as I did as a kid.

So, here I am having just bought a brand new Revo 3.3 off the shelf at the hobby shop just over a week ago and as expected it’s already in need of repair and I’m frankly not sure what caused it.

To the point of this thread, I finally got time to get it out after work today and try to tune it to the best of my ability. I followed all the break in procedures as Traxxas instructs and it was fine.

Get it out this afternoon, crank it up, and NOTHING. It wouldn’t move an inch. After nearly an hour of messing with it and a slew of curse words later, I finally figure out that the “slipper gear” or “slipper kit” or whatever it’s technical name is, is completely lacking the 3 little plates. All but a small portion of 1 of them was gone.

1. I would like to know what caused this
    2. I need advice on whether or not to simply replace the factory plates, upgrade them to a heavy duty plate or put on a slipper eliminator and lastly
    3. If I put on an eliminator how likely am I to be replacing differential parts

NOTE: I’m fairly sure what caused this was my lack of double checking how tight the slipper was after pulling it out of the box. I’m fairly sure someone in a factory somewhere in China or wherever they’re produced simply assembles them rather than actually checking specific things such as how tight the slipper should be for proper operation. But I could be wrong, I could just be a newb and messed it up.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance!!!
    I am using slipper clutch Eliminator on both my revo 1 with novarossi 28-8 and the other one with Lrp zr.32 but the only problem with eliminator i replace the spur gear one to many time replace it with hot racing heavy duty spur gears and all revo have center diff so all front and rear steel drive train from traxxas

RC poster
    Great. Thanks. That’s about what I was thinking. My only issue now is I’ve replaced the stock pads with heavy duty steel pads, I bought both a 36T and a 40T spit gear to play around with. I noticed that the 36T is smaller than the factory 38T and the 40T is larger. My next question, if that be the case, will they work with the factory 15T pinion gear? It seems like they’d be either to small or too large to seat in the 15T correctly? If I’m looking for a better top end power, should I go to a 36T and maybe a 16T pinion? I’d imagine the 16T pinion would compensate for the smaller size of the 36T?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcade18 View Post
    Great. Thanks. That’s about what I was thinking. My only issue now is I’ve replaced the stock pads with heavy duty steel pads, I bought both a 36T and a 40T spit gear to play around with. I noticed that the 36T is smaller than the factory 38T and the 40T is larger. My next question, if that be the case, will they work with the factory 15T pinion gear? It seems like they’d be either to small or too large to seat in the 15T correctly? If I’m looking for a better top end power, should I go to a 36T and maybe a 16T pinion? I’d imagine the 16T pinion would compensate for the smaller size of the 36T?
    Check this video, in this video I am running 16 clutch bell 38 t spur gear, I am happy with that
    https://youtu.be/gCSTQwBi9V8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will work with your clutch bell as long as they are the same pitch. You'll need to move the engine to mesh correctly.

Think of your bike: the clutch bell is like the gear attached to your pedals and the spur gear is like the rear gearset. Change gears in the front and what is your effort vs progress? Change gears in the back and what happens?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Take a look in the owners manual page 41 for a gear ratio chart and available combinations, 14t-17t clutch bells and 36t-40t spur gears.
    The higher the ratio number: Faster acceleration, slower top speed
    The lower the ratio number: Slower acceleration, faster top speed

RC Champion
    I once replaced the 3 slipper pads with 1 Tmax carbon fiber brake disc that was a bad idea I broke so many DL parts I went back the 3 stock pads they are still on there even with the brushless conversion.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    I once replaced the 3 slipper pads with 1 Tmax carbon fiber brake disc that was a bad idea I broke so many DL parts I went back the 3 stock pads they are still on there even with the brushless conversion.
    Odd. I use a t-maxx brake disk in one of mine and it does fine. One has an OS21TM and the other has an LRP28. I can't recall which has the brake disk in it instead of slipper pads.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Champion
    I could never get mine to slip properly it was like it was always locked or too loose.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA