RC poster

Purchased used 4x4 vxl Scott Douglas edition - need esc help

Found a guy selling his used slash 4x4 vxl Scott Douglas edition for $100. I thought this was a solid deal even though he said he thought the motor was bad. So I got it home and hooked the esc leads to a spare motor i have and it did nothing. Steering works fine, but no throttle response at all. I then hooked a diff esc to the slash motor and it turns and spins the wheels just fine. I'm guessing the esc might be shot, but just wondering if there is a way to reset the esc. It powers up just fine and appears in good condition. The kid told me it stopped after he hit some water with it, but its marked as waterproof. This is my first traxxas brushless system so and tricks you guys could walk me through I would really appreciate.

Thanks,
    Jake

Do you have the manual?
    Did you look up support info on this site? There are many documents available for legacy models here:

https://traxxas.com/support/Legacy-Previous

Another quick way would be to take it to your LHS and have them check it out or if you have other compatible cars, start connecting different components until you figure out the bad one.

I'm pretty new to Traxxas stuff so that's about all the help I can offer...there are others here who probably know exactly what to do. It's just a matter of if they see your post and when.

These forums are great! Lots of helpful people, but when you're having an issue and are excited to get back on the road, getting answers feels like an eternity sometimes.

A 4x4 for $100 is a pretty solid deal. There is no way to reset the ESC - either utilize Traxxas's Electronic Warranty (here) or discard it and purchase a new one.

The kid could tell you anything and say it was a little splash of water when it could have been submerged for some time too.
    The Super Derecho

If unsure, just get a new Rx. They are not very expensive.

If you need to keep the one you have, try to open it and make sure it is completely dry then reseal it.

You can also store it in a Ziplock bag of uncooked rice (natural desiccant) for a few days and try it again. Hopefully all the moisture will have dried out by then.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Do you guys know if I can swap the transmitter and reciever from a newer rustler xl-5 into this system just to test things out? Just curious if they are compatible with the older models.

Sure .
    The Super Derecho

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal! Traxxas will warranty the esc and motor. Or you can upgrade from the start. Congratulations on getting a great deal!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!